Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2010 Tundra and when I put the truck in "manual" mode it always says it is in 4th gear. the tranny does not shift though, no matter what gear it is actually in. it will also not put the tranny in a higher gear than what it thinks it needs to be in, so it pretty much is doing the automatic shifting anyway. all i can do is down shift with it. is that normal for the tundra or should i take it in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first time I used the S mode, it automatically put it in 4th also. However I didn't have the problem with not being able to shift. Sounds weird. Try it again I guess, and if it still won't up shift or down shift manually then I'd have it looked at.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If the trans isn't shifting, yea.... thats a problem. When you put it in sport mode, it will only allow the trans to shift up to whatever gear is shown on the display. Try putting it in sport mode and starting. It should start in 1st, and go thru gears up to 4th. You can push up on the gear select to get it into 5th and 6th. If it doesn't, take it in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got my truck a couple weeks ago and have only skimmed thru the manual but I vaguely recall seeing something that describes being able to permanently set the initial gear (3rd thru 5th?) that the truck will shift into when you put it in S mode?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
The Sequential Mode will start with 1st gear and work its way up to the highest gear displayed on the inst panel. You can leave it at 1 and the tranny will not upshift. Put it at 2, then the tranny starts in 1st gear (from stop) and auto shifts to 2nd. Put it in 4th, then the tranny starts with 1st gear (from stop) and auto shifts all the way to 4th. Put it in 6th and it will auto shift all the way to 6th and when you stop or slow down, the computer will down shift the tranny as needed.

You're on Sequential Mode and the it is set at 6, and the tranny is actually in 6th gear, suddenly, you punched the throttle, the tranny will auto downshift to whatever gear the computer determines is needed.

You're doing 65 MPH and decided to downshift the tranny using Sequential Mode, the computer will let you downshift provided the RPM will not exceed or reach Redline. You'll also hear a few beeps.

Not really a full manual control. The comptuter still works in the back ground.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I find that the Sequential mode usually comes in 1 gear lower than the trans is currently at, which is handy for a bit of slowing without brakes. Not sure on 2010, but most second gen years also will downshift when you apply the brakes to try to help out with the slowing. The S mode seems mostly usefull for slowing, also for limiting the number of shifts uphill under load.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The Sequential Mode will start with 1st gear and work its way up to the highest gear displayed on the inst panel. You can leave it at 1 and the tranny will not upshift. Put it at 2, then the tranny starts in 1st gear (from stop) and auto shifts to 2nd. Put it in 4th, then the tranny starts with 1st gear (from stop) and auto shifts all the way to 4th. Put it in 6th and it will auto shift all the way to 6th and when you stop or slow down, the computer will down shift the tranny as needed.

You're on Sequential Mode and the it is set at 6, and the tranny is actually in 6th gear, suddenly, you punched the throttle, the tranny will auto downshift to whatever gear the computer determines is needed.

You're doing 65 MPH and decided to downshift the tranny using Sequential Mode, the computer will let you downshift provided the RPM will not exceed or reach Redline. You'll also hear a few beeps.

Not really a full manual control. The comptuter still works in the back ground.
I find that the Sequential mode usually comes in 1 gear lower than the trans is currently at, which is handy for a bit of slowing without brakes. Not sure on 2010, but most second gen years also will downshift when you apply the brakes to try to help out with the slowing. The S mode seems mostly usefull for slowing, also for limiting the number of shifts uphill under load.
This is exactly what it does, how it does it and what is it supposed to be used for. Couldn't have said it better myself, points sent :abduction:

·
Registered
859 Posts
All that mode does is set the maximum gear that the transmission will use. It will use any gear it sees fit below that gear, but the number displayed is the maximum. So, the reason it always defaults to one less is that it would be pointless to be set to 6, as you might as well use regular D mode if you want the truck to use all 6 gears. Like another poster said, it's mostly useful for going uphill, where you dont want it to constantly go in and out of a higher gear unnecessarily.

If you are seeing a 4, maybe you have a 4.0? Think that has a 5 speed box.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
or RTFM

·
Premium Member
164 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Its primary use is for towing. Its a HUGE help when pulling a large fifthwheel and stopping that huge *****. I down shift through all 4-5 gears before I even touch my brakes to stop my rig.

·
Registered
65 Posts
All that mode does is set the maximum gear that the transmission will use. It will use any gear it sees fit below that gear, but the number displayed is the maximum. So, the reason it always defaults to one less is that it would be pointless to be set to 6, as you might as well use regular D mode if you want the truck to use all 6 gears. Like another poster said, it's mostly useful for going uphill, where you dont want it to constantly go in and out of a higher gear unnecessarily.

If you are seeing a 4, maybe you have a 4.0? Think that has a 5 speed box.
Hi Fragman;
I have an 08' 5.7 DC and the more I read about this transmission, the more confused I seem to get. If I understand you correctly when I am in regular D-mode the computer will have access to all 6 speeds. Or If I set it to S-mode and bump it up to 6 speeds am I getting 2 additional gears since the default is 4? I was playing with it during a recent trip to Myrtle Beach and it seemed that whenever I switched from D to Sx6 the rpm's dropped significantly, improving gas mileage perhaps? Please help me understand this.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Hi Fragman;
I have an 08' 5.7 DC and the more I read about this transmission, the more confused I seem to get. If I understand you correctly when I am in regular D-mode the computer will have access to all 6 speeds. Or If I set it to S-mode and bump it up to 6 speeds am I getting 2 additional gears since the default is 4? I was playing with it during a recent trip to Myrtle Beach and it seemed that whenever I switched from D to Sx6 the rpm's dropped significantly, improving gas mileage perhaps? Please help me understand this.
No. If you have it in D-Mode it is a 6 speed. If you have it in S-mode and bump it to 6, you have the same 6 gears. The default gear when switching from D to S is 4th gear for everyone. At that point, you can down shift or upshift depending on your needs.

·
Registered
859 Posts
No. If you have it in D-Mode it is a 6 speed. If you have it in S-mode and bump it to 6, you have the same 6 gears. The default gear when switching from D to S is 4th gear for everyone. At that point, you can down shift or upshift depending on your needs.

Ah, see I have a 4.7 with a 5 speed, so I assumed if mine defaulted to 4, the 5.7's would default to 5. So they both go to 4. Cool

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Ah, see I have a 4.7 with a 5 speed, so I assumed if mine defaulted to 4, the 5.7's would default to 5. So they both go to 4. Cool
It goes to 4th because 4th gear is a 1:1 ration in both transmissions. The 5 spd has one overdrive ratio and the 6 spd has two.;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep, I have the 6 speed and it does default 4 when switching from D to Sport.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts