Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked in the manual, and havn't found a dipstick for the tranny under the hood. How do you check the trans fluid on an '07 with the 5.7 and 6 speed?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
You don't, it is sealed. Needs changing at 100K

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whoa, the second most expensive component, and I can't check the fluid level? I'm old fashoined I guess.

Thanks for the replies, sealed trans

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
whoa, the second most expensive component, and I can't check the fluid level? I'm old fashoined I guess.

Thanks for the replies, sealed trans

Toyota started to do the sealed aisin tranmission on the 2005 Tundra with vvti and 5 speed the core reason on doing this was to have it all stealed and less effort required on repair's.I mentioned these change on a wile back Ill try to look for my post to aid this topic.

Erik

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you think thats bad the new BMWs dont have an oil dip stick. The computer tells you when your oil is low and to add how much.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bet if you look on the side of it, you'll probably find a fill/check plug and on the bottom/back the drain plug. Sort of similar to a manual transmission. To check it, get the transmission warm and pull the fill/check plug and stick your finger in the hole. It should be pretty much right up to the hole to where it almost drips out.

As for it being "lifetime" fluid, that's total BS. Maybe lifetime in the sense if you only keep it for a few years, but for the actual life of it (200k+), that's nonsense. ALL fluids have a life expetency. I'd change it at every 50k at the most unless the owners manual states otherwise. But in no way was the fluid every designed to never be replaced.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you think thats bad the new BMWs dont have an oil dip stick. The computer tells you when your oil is low and to add how much.
BMW makes amazing vehicles

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've looked in the manual, and havn't found a dipstick for the tranny under the hood. How do you check the trans fluid on an '07 with the 5.7 and 6 speed?
Go to Technical post for Engine and Drivetrain and first post explains this :D Phenom!! Also check Toyotas Required Scheduled Maintenance for service. If ya DIY keep any and all reciepts and sign off your maintenance schedule in you owners manual packet!! Toyota Parts and Service:) It was a Detroit Engineer that did this to us!! probably the same that designed the remove motor to change freeze plugs engineer. It for sure was not the one that put blinker signals on the outside of the rear view mirrors?? I did hear that some of the design did happen in Detroit and ya can tell but hands down truck to drive!!:tu:

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
BMW makes amazing vehicles

Yes they do and that new 07 7 series is worth every cent esp the unproven I drive which I hear many owners complain about. My friend has a New M powered Bmw I really like it a lot esp since some of the services are included free on oil changes at global bmw/Mini cooper..

Erik

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I bet if you look on the side of it, you'll probably find a fill/check plug and on the bottom/back the drain plug. Sort of similar to a manual transmission. To check it, get the transmission warm and pull the fill/check plug and stick your finger in the hole. It should be pretty much right up to the hole to where it almost drips out.

As for it being "lifetime" fluid, that's total BS. Maybe lifetime in the sense if you only keep it for a few years, but for the actual life of it (200k+), that's nonsense. ALL fluids have a life expetency. I'd change it at every 50k at the most unless the owners manual states otherwise. But in no way was the fluid every designed to never be replaced.
ummm not quite total bs... if they designed the transmission to stay super cool then the fluid can potentially last forever... you forget that the only reason the lubrication fluid breaks down is because of heat ... and then if you make the fluid out of synthetic this makes it even more durable of a lubricator... i wouldnt be surprised if you never had to change the fluid... but who on this board is willing to take that chance... not i... i will be changing the fluid probably at 50k miles(if/when the dealer recommends me to of course)

·
Registered
184 Posts
you can not check the fluid level by the fill plug. your pan has two plug. the larger one is the drain plug. the smaller is the overflow plug. then you have a fill plug near the tail of the transmission with looks like the fill plug of a manual transmission. i will not go into detail on how to service the transmission but i would change the fluid at 30k miles for towing or stop and go traffic or hard driving and 60k for no towing and mainly highway driving. you could go longer then that but i like to keep my trans fluid clean. those are just my opinion as a toyota tech. if you do go 100k, make sure you flush it out rather then drain and fill. the only way to check the fluid condition or color of the fluid is to drain it or pull off the hose to the trans cooler if you don't want to drain all the fluid.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hard for me to understand why a synthetic ATF would need changing at 30K even if extreme conditions were being used ? Guess that's included in Dealers 30K Service Packages for free!!:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hard for me to understand why a synthetic ATF would need changing at 30K even if extreme conditions were being used ? Guess that's included in Dealers 30K Service Packages for free!!:confused:
its just my opinion. i have seen 05 tundra with 50k-60k miles and when i drain the fluid its brown or dark color. i'm sure the fluid is still good but i don't like to see my trans fluid changing color like that. my opinion is that i rather drain and fill the fluid more often and keep it clean than flushing it out at 100k and have a chance of build up inside the transmission.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
its just my opinion. i have seen 05 tundra with 50k-60k miles and when i drain the fluid its brown or dark color. i'm sure the fluid is still good but i don't like to see my trans fluid changing color like that. my opinion is that i rather drain and fill the fluid more often and keep it clean than flushing it out at 100k and have a chance of build up inside the transmission.

I agree I had mine done at 30k last dec 06 (drain and refill) and I plan on doing that again at 60k. From what i am told this is the best method from my Toyota service advisor...

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you change your transmission oil at 30k, your honestly illiterate and retarded. Toyota uses what is called "World Class Grade" trans. oil. It is specially designed to last the lifetime of the truck. It is recommended by Master Toyota technicians to change it at 100K to prevent any loose particles damaging the trans. Second if you were to change it every 30k you must be rich because the oil is very very very very expensive. If you don't believe me call up your local toyota dealer and ask them how much it would be to change it. i believe off hand it is somewhere in the $600 to $1000 range. Third the trans oil change has to be done in a very specific way at the dealer by a technician to avoid contanmination. if the trans oil or tranny becomes contaminated. kiss your tranny goodbye. that's toyota for ya, sophisticated, technologically advanced and sometimes a pain in the ***.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
If you change your transmission oil at 30k, your honestly illiterate and retarded. Toyota uses what is called "World Class Grade" trans. oil. It is specially designed to last the lifetime of the truck. It is recommended by Master Toyota technicians to change it at 100K to prevent any loose particles damaging the trans. Second if you were to change it every 30k you must be rich because the oil is very very very very expensive. If you don't believe me call up your local toyota dealer and ask them how much it would be to change it. i believe off hand it is somewhere in the $600 to $1000 range. Third the trans oil change has to be done in a very specific way at the dealer by a technician to avoid contanmination. if the trans oil or tranny becomes contaminated. kiss your tranny goodbye. that's toyota for ya, sophisticated, technologically advanced and sometimes a pain in the ***.

Hey let's Not us those choice of word's on Ts please there is enought Drama running on these forums the whole transition can appear to be somewhat flamed from certain perople who display that :ts: if you say that Retarded Etc:eek: .. The 2005 up Fluid is "Ws fluid" which is designed in term's to be Longer anything before that year will break down.Also to my standard's it's cheap to have the Drain and Refill done try $80 dollar's to have that service performed every 30k and overall worth it since I get a service Discount because I use them for other services.Toyota you got to love them....

·
Registered
184 Posts
as i stated before, its my opinion. i am as certified toyota tech working at at toyota dealership. i can get the fluid really cheap and i can do the service my self with the proper special service tool and know the proper procedure. if your are paying $600-$1000, than you are getting ripped off. msrp on WS fluid should be no more than $8 a quart.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
we were talking 30K in original post?:confused: and the deceptive dealer practises during the SPECIAL 30K, 60K & 90K DEALS that they offfer for outrageous prices, the ones that they charge you extra for fluid!! I can understand 50K or 60K but 30K is a tad early unless you have more $$ than ya need. So how does the fluid look at 30K, i would be surprised if their was any difference from 60K!! If yo tow a bunch i could see this being a great thing to do but not a lotta people tow heavy with Tundras YET!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts