Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 SR5 and want to flush the trans, add a bigger cooler, and bypass the radiator. My only concern is about applying the gasket sealer and the right way to do it. The pan has never been dropped at 90K. How thick of a bead, where to place it on the cleaned pan (around the bolt holes?), and how tight to torque these down. Any other critical tips or suggestions welcome. I don't want any leaks with all of that amsoil i'm putting in it. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe the Haynes manual calls for 65 inch pounds of torque. This is obviously not very much torque at all. It is very easy to over tighten these bolts. Make sure to clean all the old gasket material off of the transmission and pan. Use the Toyota red sealant by applying a very thin bead to the raised ridge on the pan around the entire pan.

You will also need to separate the transmission dip stick tube or just remove the dip stick tube from the block and keep the whole unit together.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that thread before posting. The instructions on the red sealant part #00295-01281 say to apply 1.0 to 1.5 mm wide of sealant to the pan. 1.5mm translates to about 1/16th of an inch. I would think there should be more applied, or does that sound about right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any tips on removing the trans pan? The rubber mallot doesn't seem persuasive enough. Swing harder? It has never been removed and is stubborn. I don't want to dent the pan. Should I gently tap a thin wedge to break the seal? Ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any tips on removing the trans pan? The rubber mallot doesn't seem persuasive enough. Swing harder? It has never been removed and is stubborn. I don't want to dent the pan. Should I gently tap a thin wedge to break the seal? Ideas? Thanks
You could probably get away with using a flat head screwdriver and tap lightly on the end to break the seal. Go around the whole pan tapping lightly, but be careful not to hit too hard as you may push the screwdriver right into the internals of the trans. By the way, I don't think you will dent the pan with a rubber mallot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts