Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't see anything that asked or answered this question but I apologize in advance if there is and I missed it.

We have a 2010 CrewMax Rock Warrior that we purchased back in June of 2009 and we have the standard AUX port but after reading some of the threads I have found that apparently the 2010 Tundras now have a AUX/USB port instead of just the AUX port. First I am way jealous as I would LOVE a USB port!!! Second, this information brings me to a couple of questions:

1) is the AUX/USB port standard on all 2010 Tundras? does anyone else own a 2010 w/ just the AUX port?

2) is it possible to buy the AUX/USB port and swap it out with the AUX port? if so has anyone done this?

Thank you in advance for any and all insight regarding this!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I bought a 2010 Limited and it has the aux/usb port; my 07 only had the aux jack so not sure if it is part of an upgraded stereo package or not.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If it turns out that it is NOT interchangeable, the base stock stereo's appear on ebay a lot for not much money, as people upgrade them as it is a cheaper way of getting an uprated stereo or nav, rather than pay Toyota prices. So, even if it turns out you can't swap it, then maybe the next cheapest step is to buy one of the 2010 stock stereo off ebay or craigs list, swap them out, then sell yours.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The usb/aux port is not built into the radio so how would swapping a radio out help?

·
Registered
859 Posts
The usb/aux port is not built into the radio so how would swapping a radio out help?
It many not be built into the radio, but it does connect to it. So, the socket the port plugs into on a 2010 radio may accept input from a USB port, whereas the 2009 model might not. So, if he can't swap the port out and get it to work with a 2009 radio, he should be able to get it to work with a 2010.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2010 with the standard AUX port, no USB.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's standard with limited and above and optional (when available) on other trims.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
2010's are the first year to have it. The USB plug is an option that comes with an upgraded stereo over the base stereo. It has a different harness than the standard "AUX" plugs, and that harness combines with the rest of the wiring, and into the back of the stereo.

I'm pretty sure that unless it's an added option, the RockWarrior trucks only come with the base radio, so you'll have to swap in an optioned stereo to have USB functionality. Another indicator: The upgraded radio for 2010 comes with steering-wheel controls, XM for 3-months, & Blue-Tooth - that's part of the package.

Here's a 2010 Tundra with the BASE radio with AUX only:

Here's a 2010 Tundra with the upgraded radio with USB/Aux:

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
So, if you upgraded your 07 to the factory NAV system from an 08 Tundra, do you know if that particular system has the USB option on the back of the radio?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for all the info!! We do have the stock stereo on our 2010 Rock Warrior so that explains why we have no USB port.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The new 2010 radios are pretty darn good. I like mine so far.

I that's coming from a killer aftermarket one in my 2001.

The integrated USB Ipod control is sweet

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you know if the pictured stereo is the JBL upgrade or a non-JBL upgrade?

Also does anyone know if the pictured stereo w/ the USB/AUX port can be installed into a 2010 RW w/ the base stock stereo (no USB port)?

Here's a 2010 Tundra with the upgraded radio with USB/Aux:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
That PIC is NOT the JBL system... I had that same "upgraded" radio in my 2010 CrewMax... and I removed & sold it.

Yes, you CAN add the "upgraded" stereo in place of the standard base unit; it's all a direct plug & play. As far as adding the USB functionality, you'd have to find the plug, and the specific wiring harness, which would probably get pretty pricey. The standard AUX harness will not fit into the combined AUX/USB plug for the upgraded radios, it's completely different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The new 2010 radios are pretty darn good. I like mine so far.

I that's coming from a killer aftermarket one in my 2001.

The integrated USB Ipod control is sweet

They never designed the USB port to accept an Ipod specifically. I know you can plug it in and control one but only specific models seem to work (I asked my dealer for a list and they could not provide one) and even then it can be glitchy. Toyota does sell the Ipod Cable, I saw it as an option when I bought my truck but it was like $600.00 and you can either get the Ipod connection or XM radio, but not both. The deck must only have one connection so you need to choose.

I do have an Ipod Touch and I have gotten my Touch to play and I can control the music via the deck. But it seems like after I stop and start my truck it needs to be re-connected most of the time to get it going again. A small percentage of the time it will flash an error code when connected.

I just bought am 8GB tiny USB key and I leave that plugged in all the time. The USB port is definately very handy. On another note, I have tried to plug my Blackberry into that USB port and it will not recognize the BB as a USB drive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's also a hit and miss with my iPhone 3G. I wonder if it's going to be compatible with the new iPhone 4G (I'll get one only when they've worked out the bugs).

·
Registered
449 Posts
The 2010 upgraded radio was designed to control an ipod or play mp3's from a thumb drive. Here is a list of ipods that are compatible with the radio
n Compatible models
l iPod® 5th generation Version 1.2 or later
l iPod® nano 3rd generation Version 1.0 or later
l iPod® nano 2nd generation Version 1.1.2 or later
l iPod® nano Version 1.2 or later
l iPod® touch Version 1.1 or later
l iPod® classic Version 1.0 or later
iPhone®, iPod® mini, iPod® shuffle, iPod® photo and 4th generation and earlier
models of iPod® are not compatible with this system.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:
l Maximum number of lists in device: 9999
l Maximum number of songs in device: 65,025
l Maximum number of songs per list: 65,025

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's also a hit and miss with my iPhone 3G. I wonder if it's going to be compatible with the new iPhone 4G (I'll get one only when they've worked out the bugs).
You need the Ipod cable for it to be fully compatible and reliable. The fact an Ipod works at all thru the USB is a bonus.

I'm sure if your buy the Ipod cable option you will get a list of compatible Ipods. When we discovered my wife's Itouch worked albeit not 100% we were shocked. I then asked my dealer for a list of Ipods that work with the deck so I could buy my own and they had no clue. I chased them around for a few days and finally decided to just get her a new one and keep her old one for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
They never designed the USB port to accept an Ipod specifically. I know you can plug it in and control one but only specific models seem to work (I asked my dealer for a list and they could not provide one) and even then it can be glitchy. Toyota does sell the Ipod Cable, I saw it as an option when I bought my truck but it was like $600.00 and you can either get the Ipod connection or XM radio, but not both. The deck must only have one connection so you need to choose.

I do have an Ipod Touch and I have gotten my Touch to play and I can control the music via the deck. But it seems like after I stop and start my truck it needs to be re-connected most of the time to get it going again. A small percentage of the time it will flash an error code when connected.

I just bought am 8GB tiny USB key and I leave that plugged in all the time. The USB port is definately very handy. On another note, I have tried to plug my Blackberry into that USB port and it will not recognize the BB as a USB drive.
mine works perfect everytime. 5th gen nano

·
Registered
216 Posts
You need the Ipod cable for it to be fully compatible and reliable. The fact an Ipod works at all thru the USB is a bonus.

I'm sure if your buy the Ipod cable option you will get a list of compatible Ipods. When we discovered my wife's Itouch worked albeit not 100% we were shocked. I then asked my dealer for a list of Ipods that work with the deck so I could buy my own and they had no clue. I chased them around for a few days and finally decided to just get her a new one and keep her old one for myself.

Well, I use a 2nd Gen Nano which works perfectly every single time using the Ipod supplied USB cable. The issue I have is my iPhone will work sometimes and sometimes again it won't be recognized at all or I get an error message (I forgot what it is now). So with this supposed Ipod cable, am I understanding you correctly that my iPhone will work?
Normally, I'd stick with the iPod (which works flawlessly), however, I have certain downloaded music I like to hear, once in a while, that's on my iPhone. But on the other hand if it's a very pricey cable then I'll just have to figure another method.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The 2010 upgraded radio was designed to control an ipod or play mp3's from a thumb drive. Here is a list of ipods that are compatible with the radio
n Compatible models
l iPod® 5th generation Version 1.2 or later
l iPod® nano 3rd generation Version 1.0 or later
l iPod® nano 2nd generation Version 1.1.2 or later
l iPod® nano Version 1.2 or later
l iPod® touch Version 1.1 or later
l iPod® classic Version 1.0 or later
iPhone®, iPod® mini, iPod® shuffle, iPod® photo and 4th generation and earlier
models of iPod® are not compatible with this system.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:
l Maximum number of lists in device: 9999
l Maximum number of songs in device: 65,025
l Maximum number of songs per list: 65,025
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. My 5th gen nano works perfect every time with USB plug.

I can control everything via the radio or steering wheel. browse folders etc. It's not by accident

1 - 20 of 47 Posts