Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching and reading through a lot of posts about mileage with both the 4.6L V8 and the 5.7L V8. A lot of reports on here about people averaging 17 to 21 mpg in mixed city/hwy had me worried that my new 2013 4.6L CrewMax 4x2 had some issues. I'm only seeing about 15 to 16 mpg in 70% city/30% highyway. The worst was my first tank which I got 14.3 mpg and my best was 19.2 (mostly steady at 70 mph). So obviously I was thinking what do I do? Tried inflating tires from 32 to 40 psi... saw maybe .5 mpg improvement and the ride quality suffered (found that 36 psi was a happy compromise). Then I looked at people doing the hydrocarbon filter removal mod and read and read.... and read.... and read. Then turns out you can get the same temporary results simply by disconnecting the battery terminal for 10 to 30 minutes and resetting your presets on the radio and leaving the filters in place(LOL). I'm still waiting to hear if anyone had REVERSE results when REPLACING the HC filter. Sounds hokey.

Anyway, back to topic... I was worried that I wasn't seeing what others were seeing in terms of fuel efficiency. Then I did a little research outside of this forum; namely on fuelly. On fuelly, I first found all of the postings for Tundras that specified they had the 4.6L V8 in the description and averaged those average mileage figures. Then for kicks, I did the same for the 5.7L V8. Wow, I am NOT calling anyone liars on here, but I'm seeing something wildly different in those averages than the averages people are reporting on here.

Average on fuelly for the 4.6: 15.96 MPG. (with single highest and single lowest values removed: adjusted value is 15.76 mpg)
Average on fuelly for the 5.7: 15.35 MPG. (with single highest and single lowest values removed: adjusted value is 15.45 mpg)

Where's the 17's, 18's, the 21's?????? Lucy... you got some 'splainin' to do!

Rant begins here:
Oh and HOLY CRAP: When anyone asks questions on here about anything specifically relating to the 4.6L V8, why does everyone come out of the wood work to start going on about the 5.7L??? I understand that the 5.7L has +80% of Tundra sales, but what does that have to do with the 4.6L? That'd be no different than someone asking about a Camry hybrid on the Camry forums and all the Camry V6 owners chiming in on how the hybrid compares to the V6. They are simply two different engines. It makes searching for information MUCH more difficult when you have to rifle through all the stuff that doesn't apply. Also, how does the phrase "should've gotten the 5.7" help anyone's case? For some, the 4.6L is perfect. I'm one of those people. I want enough power to make passing easy. Period. I don't haul anything. I don't tow anything. I only need a truck for those 3 or 4 times out of the year when nothing else will do the job of a truck. My testosterone says "MUST DRIVE TRUCK OR SPORTS CAR". Having a family means that the sports car is O-U-T. So Tundra it is! I love my CREWMAX with the FOUR POINT SIX LITER VEE EIGHT.
:doh::facepalm:
Respect and thanks!

· Registered
20 Posts
I am going to have to agree with you on MPG. The claims I have come across are unreal for a typical driver. I do have a 5.7 4x4 but my numbers have been from 12.5 to 17 mpg (17 was on interstate going 70mph). Granted I won't go 60, but I don't have a heavy foot. I also upped the tire pressure to 40psi and saw the .5 mpg increase. I have nothing against the 4.6, I just chose the 5.7.

If we wanted better fuel mileage we would have bought a Prius.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to agree with you on MPG. The claims I have come across are unreal for a typical driver. I do have a 5.7 4x4 but my numbers have been from 12.5 to 17 mpg (17 was on interstate going 70mph). Granted I won't go 60, but I don't have a heavy foot. I also upped the tire pressure to 40psi and saw the .5 mpg increase. I have nothing against the 4.6, I just chose the 5.7.

If we wanted better fuel mileage we would have bought a Prius.
Awesome! I'm glad it's not just me! And I hope I didn't offend. I have nothing against any of Toyota's engines... they're all great in their own way (especially their truck engines!). I agree with you about the Prius, too.

Thanks for replying Danh2485!

· Read Only
182 Posts
I don't use Fuelly, but rather the FuelLog application for my Android phone.

My last fill was 17.38 mpg for 18.935 gallons over 329 miles.
My best fuel consumption was 18.24 and worst was 7.57 (hauling a trailer).
My current average is 15.19 MPG over the last 23 fillups.

I only have the last 23 fill-ups in my phone as I switched phones and forgot to bring my historical data over. My typical drive every day is 40 miles round trip and it is 55/45 Freeway/City.

When I first purchased the truck, I was tracking it via an Excel sheet. 28 fill-ups and I averaged 17.93 MPG with the best being 19.03 and the worst 16.98.

· Registered
91 Posts
congrats on the 4.6---we all choose what WE WANT FOR OUR OWN PERSONAL REASONS, AND THAT SHOULD BE RESPECTED BY ALL OF US. i own several corollas and camrys ( both 4 and 6 cylinder in the camrys) GOOD PERFORMANCE ON ALL THESE FOR THE CAR THAT THEY ARE. when i was looking for my tundra i wanted 2 wheel drive with the 5.7 in the limited edition for MY own personal reasons. i wanted the bigger engine for the ability to tow 11k lbs--when i needed to. the fuel economy was secondary, and even if the 4.6 delivered 50% more fuel economy i wanted the 5.7L. my worst fuel economy with it has been 15mpg in the winter, and my best has been 23.4 on a road trip on the highway at 55 to 60mph. i drive 10 miles to work and have 7 stops in that distance, and i usually get around 17 mpg . if i throw a trip in to toledo with that tankful (LOTS MORE OPEN ROAD WAY FEWER STOPS) i get between 18 and 19 mpg. but like i said i wanted the 5.7 for personal reasons, and it gets a lot better fuel economy than my ford 350 windsor full size van ever did. buy what you like for what you want, and enjoy it for 12 to 16 year cause its a TOYOTA! i generally keep mine until they reach 300k or more.

· Registered
387 Posts
I wanted the 5.7L but when the dealer called me with a truck that had everything I wanted (TRD, flares, etc.) I was very excited until he told me it had the 4.6L. But, it had a distributor installed spray-in liner, BBS rims, extra tint, along with some other things. The price was also very good compared to 5.7L's I had looked at. That said, I was a little paranoid at first as most Tundras had the 5.7L emblem on the fender and mine didn't. But, then I completely debadged the truck, added color keyed door handles and mirror covers and have been very happy. My 4.6L sucks in town (small town, constant start-stop, and I only live 2 miles from where I work so the engine is still cold when I get there). I average about 13.5 mpg if all my driving is in town. But, if I travel on the highway (65-75) I average from 20 to 20.5 mpg. I towed my motorcycle trailer (enclosed 5 X 10) recently and got right at 15 mpg. Bottom line, I am very pleased with the 4.6L but others on the forum have written than getting the 4.6L is a mistake as you gain little but a couple of miles a gallon adds up over time.

"When I first purchased the truck, I was tracking it via an Excel sheet. 28 fill-ups and I averaged 17.93 MPG with the best being 19.03 and the worst 16.98." Wow, I envy you!

· Registered
322 Posts
I don't track it like u guys do anymore, but I have a 5.7 n got it cause I had the titan 5.6 n that mpg was pretty bad so I was used to the gas bill plus I did need the power. Other engines will work for what I haul with my truck but my thinking is the engine will last longer if I don't have to work it as much. Anyways my mpg went down since I run 325/60/18 & I have 190k miles on it. When I had about 30k miles I got the cai & 3" exhaust, then I went on road trip from az to vegas around 22-24 mpg on the trip, that was the best I ever gotten. Now I do a lot of stop n go and get around 12-14 in the city. On the highway I get about 20mpg if I drive right (which I rarely do). IMO I feel there is goin to b little difference mpg between a 4.6 to a 5.7 mainly because they are both v8's, also the smaller has less power to push the same weight. Don't get me wrong it does a damn good job of pushing that weight but its still the issue. I had a v6 taco and it did better on mpg then my 5.7 but not much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
767 Posts
I have a 2013 4.6 double cab 2wd. Over 8 fill ups, I have averaged 16.9 mpg, the highest being 18.0 and the lowest being 15.4. I only have 3,200 miles on it, so it may improve, and it has all been 'winter gas', so it may improve over the summer. Probably more city than highway driving.

I drive a 2000 Toyota Echo with 160,000 miles on it for my 60 mile round trip to work, so when I get in the Tundra, I tend to over extend my right foot a little! But the Echo gets 38 mpg, so I'll deal with it.

· Registered
102 Posts
just my two cents, but I am getting 14-19mpg (85% highway 55-80mph and im moody on the highway, lol) in my 5.7 4x4 DC... I would expect the 4.6L 4x2 DC to get much better mpg... wouldn't it?

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just my two cents, but I am getting 14-19mpg (85% highway 55-80mph and im moody on the highway, lol) in my 5.7 4x4 DC... I would expect the 4.6L 4x2 DC to get much better mpg... wouldn't it?
The EPA and Toyota would have you believe that, but in the real world, the biggest savings is at the dealership. Like I said in the original post, it appears that the benefit of having the 4.6 only nets you an increase of maybe 1 mpg over the 5.7L. Of course, you do save a couple grand at the dealership by opting for the lesser v8 like I did. The 4.6 does all I need though and it sounds great.

· Registered
8 Posts
I get 14 pretty steady in the city, and about 17-18 on the highway. I have a 5.7L 4x2 with new 32" Cooper AT3s. I'm not really heavy on the foot, but when I am it drops significantly. I've not really been impressed with the highway handling compared to other full sized trucks. I feel like it doesnt want to go over 70. Like it's dragging. Just my observation. I felt the same way with the older street performance tires as well.

· Registered
322 Posts
I get 14 pretty steady in the city, and about 17-18 on the highway. I have a 5.7L 4x2 with new 32" Cooper AT3s. I'm not really heavy on the foot, but when I am it drops significantly. I've not really been impressed with the highway handling compared to other full sized trucks. I feel like it doesnt want to go over 70. Like it's dragging. Just my observation. I felt the same way with the older street performance tires as well.
The 5.7 feels like it doesn't want to go over 70? Or the tires?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about those fuel sites mentioned, and my cell phone is used for calls only. Having said that, here's how I figured my mpg in the truck with the 4.6:

Filled up in NE Alabama and drove to Columbia, SC which was 98% Interstate. Once back in AL (only one tank used) my average was 20.1. The following week I loaded up the wife, stepdaughter and her boyfriend (none of us weigh under 200lbs) and drove to Chattanooga, TN. Drove all over town making many stops. Left TN with the bed loaded about to the top of the roof and the tailgate down with furniture and drove back to AL. After filling up and using a caculator again to check the mpg, got 17.

I have no profit in lying about this - these are facts.

Bottom line?

My Tundra dbl cab with the 4.6 V8 gets much better mileage that others. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I drive like old folks
have sex - slow and sloppy.

· Registered
387 Posts
The EPA and Toyota would have you believe that, but in the real world, the biggest savings is at the dealership. Like I said in the original post, it appears that the benefit of having the 4.6 only nets you an increase of maybe 1 mpg over the 5.7L. Of course, you do save a couple grand at the dealership by opting for the lesser v8 like I did. The 4.6 does all I need though and it sounds great.
My sentiments exactly!! Even if it gets only 1-2 mpg better than the 5.7L (and towing performance is not an issue) that and the difference in price at the dealership will add up to a significant amount if you drive the truck over 100K. If you trade often, then it becomes a moot point.

· Registered
469 Posts
There's only a $1200-$1300 difference in MSRP between the 4.6 and 5.7.

The $1200-$1300 you save buying a 4.6 can buy you about 15 tanks of gas, along with a 5-10% increase in mileage vs. a 5.7. For some a win-win.

On the flipside, the extra performance that the 5.7 brings with an additional 71 HP and 74 ft. lbs. of torque for $1200-$1300 with a 5-10% decrease in mileage vs. a 4.6 is, for some, a win-win.

· Registered
116 Posts
I don't know about those fuel sites mentioned, and my cell phone is used for calls only. Having said that, here's how I figured my mpg in the truck with the 4.6:

Filled up in NE Alabama and drove to Columbia, SC which was 98% Interstate. Once back in AL (only one tank used) my average was 20.1. The following week I loaded up the wife, stepdaughter and her boyfriend (none of us weigh under 200lbs) and drove to Chattanooga, TN. Drove all over town making many stops. Left TN with the bed loaded about to the top of the roof and the tailgate down with furniture and drove back to AL. After filling up and using a caculator again to check the mpg, got 17.

I have no profit in lying about this - these are facts.

Bottom line?

My Tundra dbl cab with the 4.6 V8 gets much better mileage that others. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I drive like old folks
have sex - slow and sloppy.
Well that 800+ pound load must of eaten into your MPG...BTW I bet your wife is proud of that story!

· Registered
322 Posts
I totally agree!!!

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with you. Right at 70 mph it seems like it's starting to do a lot of "pushing". Maybe it's wind resistance? I'm running the stock 275/55R20 BFG Rugged Trails that came on the truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.