Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my AVN726E installed for a little less than a week now and I'm seriously thinking of downgrading to the AVN6620. The lack of presets changing ability from the steering wheel is really annoying. These are probably my most used steering wheel buttons and for them to simply change the frequency on the 726E is just stupid. I thought I could get used to pushing the buttons on the screen but I'm tall and reaching over to change a preset every time bugs the crap out of me (call me spoiled). From what I've read, the 6620 works correctly by changing the preset.

Anyway, I also don't use the bluetooth phone features and while the maps are great, I just don't need the bell and whistles that the 726E offers. The stock GPS in my Prius was perfect for me.

So what else am I going to loose if I go with the 6620? At nearly $250 cheaper, I see the 6620 as the better option for me.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I still can't believe that the 726 doesn't go to the next preset with the wheel controls! Maybe Eclipse should only be in the OEM market!
I don't know a lot about the 726, but I use the 6620 and came from a 30D (5435), so I'm very familiar with that generation of Eclipse NAV units.
I think the 726 is a very capable unit and it has a lot going for it over the 6620. Have you explored other options to fix or correct the wheel control option? Have you called to confirmed with Fujitsu Ten that is the way it is supposed to work?

To my knowledge, Toyota uses a voltage differential type of steering wheel interface. I know it would be more expense and effort, but maybe you could use something like the PAC SWI-X programmable controller to simply bypass the the hard wired wheel inputs and mimic the wireless remote commands (does the 726 even have wireless remote capability like the 6620?).

The things I think set the 726 apart from the 6620:
Flash based maps
Updated UI with 3D rendering
Voice instruction for NAV
Full Bluetooth integration
USB interface
iPod video support
Better screen and resolution

I was already heavy into the Eclipse gear........ipod controller, Sirius controller, backup camera, etc. so upgrading to the 6620 was literally plug and play for me. The only reason I went with Eclipse in the first place is the steering wheel interface so I know how you feel. But honestly, it I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT. Granted, this is a newer unit than the 6620, but I think Fujitsu really dropped the ball with their NAV units a few years ago. I guess that explains why they are getting out of the after market scene with Eclipse and focusing on OEM integration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts