Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am no longer a soon to be Tundra owner. I visited several dealerships around my area looking for a new 2011 to save a few bucks over a new model. After calling Westchester Toyota and explaining what I was looking for they told me they had it on the lot and I should come down to see it. Nearly an hour or two away depending on traffic. Sign number one should have been when I got there and magically the Silver Sky Tundra I was told they had was magically a black base model that didn't have any features I was looking for, and oh it was a 2012.

Nearly every dealer I'd met with previously tried pushing a 2012 on me and wasn't thrilled at the salesperson when he tried the same. I asked if the manager was available. The general manager David Lee apologized for the "mix up" which I had begun to expect but he was different from the reps I had dealt with previously. David was the first to ask me if I would be willing to pay a little more to get exactly what I wanted. Being a former sales rep and now corporate marketing person for my company I respected that. I ended up making a decision to put money down on a factory built Tundra and signed the paperwork in late November.

It was all down hill from there. A couple of days after signing the paperwork, I received a call from the sales person that they found a truck that met my specifications. I explained that I thought I was getting a truck built for me at the factory, but quickly got over it because I was excited to get the truck. I made arrangements to leave early and drive to the dealer. As I was walking to my car I got a call from the salesman, "oops the truck didn't have all the features I wanted", and they couldn't install the security system (I'm assuming glass break sensor since the alarm just needs to be activated) and remote start for awhile. I cancelled my trip to the dealer and asked that the manager call me back.

The next night I had still heard nothing, and left a message for the GM myself. No call back. That weekend I had plans in the area of the dealership so my wife and I stopped by to see if we could get some answers. The GM magically appeared and sat as at a desk. He said why don't you check out the truck and then you can decide. If you want to wait for the one from the factory it's no big deal because we already had it on order from the day after we signed the paperwork. He then had someone bring the truck they swapped for around. It was similar Silver with Off Road and Sr5 and black interior but the alarm, remote start, and deck rails were missing. It was late and they were busy so they were low pressure and said take the weekend to think about it.

Being that this was my first new car buying experience my wife I decided to wait for the factory one that was due in before Christmas. A couple of business days later the salesman calls me to ask what I want on the truck so they can order it for me. I explain that Mr. Lee said he ordered it, and he backpeddles and says "oh yeah, I'm just making sure we don't forget anything and have the colors for exterior and interior right." Three days before Christmas and I had gotten 0 updates from the dealer. I had to call 10 times to get anyone and the sales rep would pick up, and ask me to call back and ask for the GM or say the GM would call me, neither of which ever happened. Finally, I got through and the GM apologized and said the truck was to be delivered on the 28th or 29th. I was upset but at least I was getting the truck soon.

On the 27th I get a call from the rep, "Hi, I'm doing my followup calls happy holidays". I ask if the truck came in yet, he says he doesn't know when its scheduled for, I tell him the 28th or 29th, and he says oh that's good. The next day. No call. The 29th, no call. Jan 31st, I get through to the GM after 3 previous calls. He says he has a call into Toyota and doesn't know where my truck is. He blames Toyota and promises to call me with an update.

Of course that never happens. I call and ask for Mr. Lee and get re-routed to Bobby, the salesman. He tells me "I'm sorry I can't talk I'm with a customer, can you call back and ask for Mr. Lee he's here now." I call back, and get told Mr. Lee isn't there. At this point I write an email to Mr Lee explaining my concerns, request that he talk to Bobby and let him know that I am still a customer, and lastly ask for information about when they ordered the truck. Mr. Lee writes back a very political email and asks that we be patient the truck was delayed due to the holidays. I should have cancelled then but my wife wants to give it one more shot and see if they will work with us on any extras.

She calls several times before getting anyone and we never get a call back. January 5 or 6, Mr. Lee gets on the phone and "looks up the status on the truck" and says its been in Newark since the 28th. It's slated for delivery between Jan 9-16 and he is willing to give us an extra year of Toyota care and through in the deck rail system that he didn't originally have as part of our deal. I really didn't want to start from scratch and play the game again so that timeline worked for me as long as they actually got the truck.

Jan 16th, still no call. Three days to breathe and my phone rings. It's Bobby, "I'm doing my follow up calls how are you doing." I reply, "not well, Bobby, my truck was supposed to be delivered the 16th. Do you have it?". Bobby, "No, did Mr. Lee call you?". Me, "No. I will give you one last and final shot. Go right now and find out what is going on with the truck." I get put on hold, a panicked Bobby gets on the phone, "Mr Lee promises that he will call you at 4:30 and have a VIN and time you can come pick up the truck." I explain that it's incredibly important that I get a call at 4:30, even if it's an apology.

It was a long crazy day at work, and while driving home around 6:30 I realize. Holy...how could they not even call. I get home and call the dealership and ask for Mr. Lee. They ask who it is, as if they are expecting my call they say "Mr. Lee will call you in a half hour with a VIN." I ask to be transferred to another manager so that I can cancel my order and get my deposit back. Alfred Thompson is willing to cancel the order if I want but will not provide any info on the truck and lets me know that neither Bobby, or David Lee are at the dealership so I likely won't get a call about the truck tonight. Points for being honest?? I go ahead and cancel the truck, and explain to Toyota corporate that I'll be doing my best to make sure anyone in the market for a Toyota knows of my experience.

PS- Still waiting on the deposit to be returned. Buyer Beware of Westchester Toyota.

If anything ever gets resolved I will update this post with the latest.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I can see your frustration but why are you not going to buy a Tundra because of a problem with a dealer? You might have been better off getting the truck that was available and getting an aftermarket alarm/starter installed. Bed rails can be put in by the dealer in a few minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Additional updates are that I got through to the customer relations manager only to be told by her that she would call me back because she was on the other line and didn't want me to hold any longer. I was never called back. I have been watching my account and still no refund so I attempted to call again only to be put on hold then hung up on.

I placed a call to the regional office, who called the dealer while I was on hold. They confirmed that the account was approved for a refund and to call them back if I didn't get the money credited in my account by end of day tomorrow.

I'm not the type to threaten a law suit, as these types of practices will end up driving them out of business if they keep them up, and I am just going to do my part to tell the story here, and on other forums and websites.

In reply to SE2000, I guess I'm just exhausted by the ordeal. I'm lucky enough where I don't actually need a third vehicle but thought it would be nice to have a truck for the times when I wanted to haul things, or tow a car to a show. We'll see how quickly i get over it but this is my first time buying a brand new vehicle and I'm not so eager to attempt it again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sucks man. I had a somewhat similar problem with a local dealer. Not to your level though. I will never go back to that dealer.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts