Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching as much information about PAC's SWI-JACK that I could find, I found this ASWC product from Axxess.

It says that it'll automatically detect the vehicle type and after market head unit type. The product is USB updatable and the manual says it will match up with these functions:

1. Volume Up
2. Volume Down
3. Seek Up/Next
4. Seek Down/Prev
5. Source/Mode
6. Mute
7. Preset Up
8. Preset Down
9. Power
10. Band
11. Play/Enter
12. PTT (Push To Talk)
13. On Hook
14. Off Hook
15. Fan Up
16. Fan Down
17. Temp Up​
18. Temp Down

I bolded the items that my Tundra has on the steering wheel. And I'm going to be using the Kenwood DNX9960 (which has voice activation and Bluetooth built in). So, I'd want all seven steering wheel buttons to function.

Does anybody have experience with this product? It sounds too good to be true. I'm sitting on hold waiting on their tech support to pick up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what they had to say:

• First, I am VERY important to them.
  • Second, I should continue to hold as calls are taken in the order in which they are received.
  • Third, I learned that, apparantly, everybody in China called just seconds before me, because they never picked up. This proves exactly HOW important I really am to them. I sat on hold for 30 minutes and then had to leave for lunch. I'll try again soon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Be sure to post back and let us know how it goes. I have one of these in the garage that I'm gonna install whenever I can get around to it. Working on the sub boxes right now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm waiting for one to arrive so I can try it and I'll post up when I get it.I waited on hold for around 20 minutes to talk to tech support last week and they assured me everything would work magnificantly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's our correspondance (in order of e-mails):

me said:
I am interested in your ASWC product, but would like to know if it will support all of the buttons on my steering wheel. The vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax without the JBL system. I will be installing a Kenwood DNX9960.

The steering wheel has the following buttons (please see attached photo for reference):

• Volume Up
  • Volume Down
  • Seek Up/Next
  • Seek Down/Prev
  • PTT (Push to Talk
  • On Hook (Answer Bluetooth Phone Call
  • Off Hook (Hang up Bluetooth Phone Call)

The Kenwood DNX9960 comes with its own PTT (Push to Talk) button remote, but I'd prefer to use the steering wheel if possible. Will all of those buttons work using the ASWC?
Matt Calderon of Metra said:
The only radio that works with PTT is two models by Pioneer. Kenwood does not have that feature on their remote protocol. Now the on hook and off hook can be re-mapped, if Pioneer has that option on their remote control. If not, those two buttons default to preset up and down. All other buttons are as stated.

All buttons on the steering wheel can be re-mapped to whatever you want, pending that feature is on the remote protocol.

Matt Calderon
Lead Tech
Metra Electronics
1-800-253-TECH
Me said:
Thanks for the info Matt. I have contacted Kenwood regarding their remote protocol for the DNX9960, but it's such a new product, they don't have that information yet.

If I find out that they have added the remote protocol for PTT, would you like for me to let you know so that you can add that functionality with an update to the ASWC?

Finally, since the DNX9960 has a seperate "Talk" button hard remote (as shown on page 56 of the manual) (which performs the same function as the steering wheel button), do you think it would work if I just hard wire the steering when PPT button to the DNX9960 where the Kenwood "talk" button would go? In all reality, they're just switches. Right?
Matt Calderon of Metra said:
Let me know if the Kenwood will have PTT on their protocol, and if so, I will check with an engineer on both questions.

So, at this point, I'm going to wait about a week and get back with Kenwood to see if they know more about this "remote protocol" that Matt is referring to.

Please keep me posted on your findings ibleedblue and MarkJ. I'll let you know what I find out as well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Luckily (?) I'm installing a Pioneer head unit when I get the chance. Hoping for some time next week, but we'll see how that goes. Funny how much time kids take up when the wife is working 3rd shift!! I'll definitely let you know how things turn out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I`m ready to install a kenwood dnx6960 in my '08 sequoia. after i ordered everything needed including the swi pac i discovered the axxess aswc and ordered it. from what i have read it improves on the delay that is felt with the pac. i will be following this thread carefully in hopes you get the good news you're looking for as it will likely help me as well. cheers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I`m ready to install a kenwood dnx6960 in my '08 sequoia. after i ordered everything needed including the swi pac i discovered the axxess aswc and ordered it. from what i have read it improves on the delay that is felt with the pac. i will be following this thread carefully in hopes you get the good news you're looking for as it will likely help me as well. cheers!
Let us know if you find out something first. Chances are, I will not pull the trigger on purchasing this until I am able to confirm the Push to Talk feature will work. I don't want to have to mount Kenwood's "Talk" button somewhere on my dash and run the cable. Seems kinda pointless to have to reach somewhere to push a button for a "hands-free" system. LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, the install is complete. almost. i installed the axxess. it seemed to give the right blinks of led to say it was a kenwood. but nothing. nada. not even the volume buttons worked. i take that back. the phone hook button turned it up. that was the only button that worked. tech support............ i dont know if you could try on purpose to hire a collection of arsehoes better than they have. i wasnt angry. i was trying to get help and they acted like total smarta`ss. one guy acted like i was lying the first time i called. he said he had already talked to me earlier about an install in an `07 sequoia. it was like a whole 2 min argument. unreal. i tried to do it manual but it just didnt work. i was told that my unit has to be reflashed to have the right protocol on it. that calls for a super secret usb cable that has a special 5-pin hook up on it. i cant find a dealer in my area with one. still trying. side note: the dnx6960 is just damn nice. it is sooooooo user friendly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, the install is complete. almost. i installed the axxess. it seemed to give the right blinks of led to say it was a kenwood. but nothing. nada. not even the volume buttons worked. i take that back. the phone hook button turned it up. that was the only button that worked. tech support............ i dont know if you could try on purpose to hire a collection of arsehoes better than they have. i wasnt angry. i was trying to get help and they acted like total smarta`ss. one guy acted like i was lying the first time i called. he said he had already talked to me earlier about an install in an `07 sequoia. it was like a whole 2 min argument. unreal. i tried to do it manual but it just didnt work. i was told that my unit has to be reflashed to have the right protocol on it. that calls for a super secret usb cable that has a special 5-pin hook up on it. i cant find a dealer in my area with one. still trying. side note: the dnx6960 is just damn nice. it is sooooooo user friendly.
Thanks for the update ccr3. This is NOT good news regarding the Axxess steering wheel controller. Just an FYI, that USB cable is about $80. Super lame that they don't ship the product with the latest firmware already on it. :rolleyes:

With their arrogance level, it seems like a ploy to get you to buy this "updating" product. Why would anybody need to buy this USB cable if it worked directly out of the package (like the PAC controls do)?

·
Registered
490 Posts
This sux for me! I've had mine for well over 30 days already (probably more like 60), so no way I can send it back. If I get lucky I'll get a chance to install it this weekend. Man I hope it works with the Pioneer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well the dnx6960 is a a very recent release so i hope that is the problem. the thing about the guy that said he had already talked to me even though i have an `08, its funny that the guy with the `07 seemed to have the exact same problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just finished installing an Axxess ASWC in my '07 with a Kenwood 8120. I started yesterday and it didn't work. It has a mere 4 wires to hook up, black (ground), red (power) and the other two. One is green/orange and the other is black/green. Pretty simple for a guy that added steering wheel controls to a truck that didn't have them or so I thought. I popped it in after work yesterday and let it program itself. It had my call answer button as mute, my call end button was volume up and the voice activation button was volume down.

It wouldn't respond to manual programming or remapping the buttons. I called Metra this afternoon and spent 42 minutes on hold and the tech helped me see what an idiot I am. There's a green/orange wire and there's also a orange/green wire. If you hook up the wrong one you get the result I had yesterday. When he has you hook up the proper wire everything programs correctly and it works excellent. There's no delay whatsoever and the HU responds as though you pushed the buttons on the HU. The auto programming set the call end and answer as seek up and down to the next available station and the voice activation button answers a call which was more than I could ask for. Volume up/down work as they should as does source. The track up/down also works as preset up/down for the radio. All buttons are re-assignable to almost anything you want them to do with one caveat....the only HU that will work with the voice command is the Pio Z110BT. The Kenwood 9960 will not run under voice command from the steering wheel controls. It's a Kenwood thing as to why it won't work as already noted earlier in this thread and if Kenwood issues an update I'll probably have to get the new one. I put a Z110BT in my wife's Rav4 and the voice command is excellent with an ipod but I much prefer the sound and capabilities of the Kenwood.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All buttons are re-assignable to almost anything you want them to do with one caveat....the only HU that will work with the voice command is the Pio Z110BT. The Kenwood 9960 will not run under voice command from the steering wheel controls. It's a Kenwood thing as to why it won't work as already noted earlier in this thread and if Kenwood issues an update I'll probably have to get the new one. I put a Z110BT in my wife's Rav4 and the voice command is excellent with an ipod but I much prefer the sound and capabilities of the Kenwood.
I will continue to pry Kenwood for more information. There HAS to be a remote trigger for the Push To Talk feature. If there's an external button for it on the 9960, there's GOT to be a way to tap into it. Maybe only with the PAC.

Anyway, thanks for updating us with your experience of the Axxess ASWC.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok....I got my entire sound system installed over the weekend, including the ASWC. It worked perfectly with the Pioneer head unit! Installation couldn't have been easier. It programmed everything correctly except for the on and off hook buttons (and it may have done those correctly, but I didn't have the phone paired and couldn't check). I manually programmed all the buttons to do what I wanted per the Axxess instructions, just in case the on and off hook buttons weren't working. Again, couldn't have been easier. I'm very pleased with this little device. Zero delay when you press the buttons. I'd highly recommend it for anyone using a newer Pioneer head unit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok....I got my entire sound system installed over the weekend, including the ASWC. It worked perfectly with the Pioneer head unit! Installation couldn't have been easier. It programmed everything correctly except for the on and off hook buttons (and it may have done those correctly, but I didn't have the phone paired and couldn't check). I manually programmed all the buttons to do what I wanted per the Axxess instructions, just in case the on and off hook buttons weren't working. Again, couldn't have been easier. I'm very pleased with this little device. Zero delay when you press the buttons. I'd highly recommend it for anyone using a newer Pioneer head unit.
Awesome news. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, here's our correspondance (in order of e-mails):

So, at this point, I'm going to wait about a week and get back with Kenwood to see if they know more about this "remote protocol" that Matt is referring to.

Please keep me posted on your findings ibleedblue and MarkJ. I'll let you know what I find out as well.
Have you been able to find out anything? Mine just came in the mail and I cant wait to install it. However, I really want ALL the steering wheel controls to work, including PTT. Does anyone know how it works? Anyone tried to tap into the factory wiring?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts