Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys had this annoying B-Pillar rattle that I've got? I've searched and found lots of things on dash and door rattles but no mention of a B-Pillar rattle other than a brief comment about a seatbelt noise. My rattle is on the driver's side and I can hear it right next to me when I am at low speeds over certain road textures. It sounds like it's coming from the B-pillar, somewhere around the seatbelt or trim in that area but it almost has a sound like its a rattle against a sheet metal component. I suppose that I may have to have the wife drive my Tundra while I sit in the back seat and try to find it; trying to find rattles while I'm driving is probably not the safest thing! :D

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Although I doubt it, But check that it isn't your head rest... My passenger side head rest makes all kinds of noise, in which I initially thought it was coming from the seat belt in the b-pillar...
Acoustics are weird and can fool you...

This is the second rattle that I've chaised down... the first was my Homelink mirror, which I swore was coming from the dash/radio...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although I doubt it, But check that it isn't your head rest... My passenger side head rest makes all kinds of noise, in which I initially thought it was coming from the seat belt in the b-pillar...
Acoustics are weird and can fool you...

This is the second rattle that I've chaised down... the first was my Homelink mirror, which I swore was coming from the dash/radio...
Thanks for the reply. I'll pay close attention to the headrest next time I hear this noise just to make sure. You're right about the way sounds can come from a completely different place than you think they are!

-Wes

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, well I let the wife drive my truck around last night while I sat in the back seat and tried to locate the rattle. The sound is actually not coming from the B-Pillar but it stops when I press on the part of my door panel shown in the red box:

Any of you guys have the same rattle? I'm figuring it will be pretty easy to get rid of but would like to hear anyone's experience in eliminating it.

Thanks so much,

Wes

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
i get a sort of chirp when i bang my head against the B-pillar lol... Not that i do so often but one terrible evening as i was leaving work i rested my head on the B-Pillar in rush hour and heard a chirp coming from the B-Pillar. I started hitting the top part of the B-pillar and re-created that chirp. I realised it only happens on the driver side B-Pillar but i didn't let it get to me because it doesnt do it on normal driving; only while banging your head against it and i hope that i wont need to do that often :p - Good luck

·
Registered
422 Posts
KP Texan - did you ever come up with a solution for this rattle? mine is starting to rattle in this location on each of the doors.. doesn't do it all the time, but enough for me to notice and I fear it may get worse. comes from same place as the red box above.

·
Registered
422 Posts
this morning I had two "ticking" sounds in each of the doors.... strange. one day a rattle, one day a sweak, and the next three nothing. how am I supposed to track these things down if they keep changing!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Most likely it's a loose door pin. As the truck heats up, the interior panels and the door frame twist at different rates. The rattles occur because a pin isn't as tight as it used to be. The easiest fix is to pull the door panel and add felt around each hole and each pin mount, replace all the pins with new, and remount the panel. This usually takes care of 90% of the door rattles. The other 10% can be fixed with the felt also on the stupid door drawer under the handle :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
a wheel balancing may also help. some anyway ...

how would balancing a wheel help with a door rattle? I get your thought process here(reduce vibrations) but that doesn't solve the problem. Maybe I should re-pave the freeway between my house and work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm a TundraSolutions newbie. I recently bought a new Tundra and my truck has this same rattle/tick. The noise is right by my head and it is driving my CRAZY! I was wondering if anyone has successfully tracked this down and fixed the issue? In my truck, the noise sounds like it is coming from the sheet metal underneath the trim by the top seatbelt mount.

Thanks in advance!

--Tom

·
Registered
422 Posts
tom - thanks for searching the forum and not just starting a new thread. - and welcome.

Might try the door pin suggestion by imtfox and sound deadner suggestion from rijob up a few in this thread. I think the olny way to effectively track these rattles down is to get in that door. I have not dug into mine yet....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Okay, well I let the wife drive my truck around last night while I sat in the back seat and tried to locate the rattle. The sound is actually not coming from the B-Pillar but it stops when I press on the part of my door panel shown in the red box:

Any of you guys have the same rattle? I'm figuring it will be pretty easy to get rid of but would like to hear anyone's experience in eliminating it.

Thanks so much,

Wes
Thought I would re-visit this. It's been driving me nuts. I removed the door panel ,dyna matted everything. Still there ,checked all the door pins and inserted felt. Still there. I finally found the cause. It's the door striker. I wrapped a small piece of electrical tape around it and for 3 days not a peep. It's been cold here in the mornings too. So the question is .. how do you adjust the striker, needs to move out away from the interior.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I would re-visit this. It's been driving me nuts. I removed the door panel ,dyna matted everything. Still there ,checked all the door pins and inserted felt. Still there. I finally found the cause. It's the door striker. I wrapped a small piece of electrical tape around it and for 3 days not a peep. It's been cold here in the mornings too. So the question is .. how do you adjust the striker, needs to move out away from the interior.
Thanks for reply! My sound went away but has recently come back (temperature differences I suppose). I'll try the electrical tape solution today and let you guys know how it works out.

-Wes

Edit: Okay, I put about a wrap and a half of Super 33+ around the striker where at contacts the latch yesterday and I haven't heard a peep out of it yet. I think this has fixed it! Points sent!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts