Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of searching and several e-mails to Keith (escondidotundra), I decided to go with his muffler. He didn't have to, but sent me e-mails letting me know when it would be built and shipped. And get this ....it was true! (i have been burned before). It was shipped the day he said and arrived in perfect condition by the weeks end. I don't know squat about exhaust systems, so all I can say is, it was heavy and small (especially compared to stock). I went to my local exhaust shop (mom and pop, not chain). The guy installing had some concerns that it would be too loud and asked if I wanted to leave the resonator on. I panicked and said yes (figured it would be easier to remove it later, rather than re-install). It does have a great sound and seemed a bit louder than I wanted at first (I was wrong). After putting over 500 miles on it, I am ready to go have the resonator taken off. To give you an idea, my wife drove it and didn't even notice the new exhaust (good thing, because I didn't tell her!). Keith told me, if I remove the resonator, it will be a little louder, but won't hum in the cab. I don't know what "drone" is, so I don't think there is any. My brother has a Magnaflow with duals, and doesn't like it. I think when he hears mine, he will be ordering one. Anyway, whether you are interested in Keith's or not, I could care less. I felt obligated to tell my story and give credit where it is due. Keith went above and beyond my expectations in CS and product. YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading my own post, I want to be clear. The truck has a GREAT throaty sound with the resonator on. It is more like it is intoxicating. I like it so much, I want MORE of it. When you start it up, it growls, then settles in. When you put your foot in it, it really comes alive, but when you are just driving along it is more tame.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I was very impressed with the BAM sound and will be getting one when I redo the exhaust on my truck. I have spoken with keith personally about exhausts and exchanged several emails. He eats, breathes, talks, sleeps, dreams, and lives exhausts.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Good to see another member enjoying Keith's work. I got to hear one of his mufflers a few weeks ago, and even got to meet Keith. Really a nice guy. Keith is also very talented as a suspension fabricator, and to date I've never seen anybody say they didn't like his muffler. On top of all that, he's a family man. He's got some very innovative things going on with muffler's and he has more than just his classic straight through design. HE puts lots of thought and lots of testing into everything he does, that's why I am happy to recommend his mufflers whenever the weekly "what kind should I get" threads pop up. Gotta support good guys like him.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
. . . . . Really a nice guy. Keith is also very talented as a suspension fabricator, and to date I've never seen anybody say they didn't like his muffler. On top of all that, he's a family man. He's got some very innovative things going on with muffler's and he has more than just his classic straight through design. HE puts lots of thought and lots of testing into everything he does, that's why I am happy to recommend his mufflers whenever the weekly "what kind should I get" threads pop up. Gotta support good guys like him.

Totally Agree

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
wow! you guys rock!! I just stumbled on this thread and can't believe it!!:D This made my day:first:

I really do try hard to make the best Tundra exhaust I can. This whole quest came about when I tried to find the perfect exhaust for my truck. I tried countless brands/set ups and just didn't like em. I finally found 2 that I liked. A pep boys brand that sounded awesome but fell apart because it was so thin. And a pricey name brand. I took the favorable traits of the 2 and created my original BAmuffler. I've taken it a step further and installed Helmholtz resonators on the mufflers for the year trucks that drone.

I've also experimented with building the Helmholtz inside of the muffler. It was a success to a small degree with much room for improvement. I am working with a sheet metal manufacturer for ideas on mass production as well. The hardest part is keeping it hardy while still keeping the price competitive.

As stated above, my muffler is an anchor. As a matter of fact, it is warrantied for the life of the truck. For example: If you bottom out on the muffler and it is damaged, send it back, I'll replace it free. If it rusts out, send it back, I'll replace it. This muffler is designed to be beat up on the trail.

Thanks again guys!!! If you guys have any questions I'm glad to help just hit me up [email protected]

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I have to add, at the Brea show I got to check out the smaller muffler Keith makes, and was really surprised how heavy it was. It was only about a 12'' long body and it weighed more than my Spintech(which is comparable in size and super solid itself). I saw a similar designed muffler at Autozone, but it was at least 18" long(and ugly chrome finish), I'd venture to say it was a third of the weight of Keith's short muffler. Goes to show, he isn't playing when he says he uses good materials.

Somebody just posted this pic, looks like TRD makes mufflers with the same kind of design as Keith's, except I guarantee they can't compare to his price. Sometimes I get the feeling some designer at Toyota is secretly a member of TS. If the top engineers at Toyota found this works best for them, that says a lot for Keith's design. I bet TRD's aren't as strong.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have about 5000 miles on my Muffler, It sounds just as good as it did the first day. It's heavy as heck just because it's built so damn well! It's such a good simple built system, it sounds just fantastic. Its not really droney on the highway, and it idles quietly as well as cruising on the freeway. Its SCREAMS when WOT and just sounds sick especially when I followed my truck a while back, I get thumbs up when i gun it... I'm glad I chose his muffler.

Now I'm gonna get an Exhaust Cutout right in front of the muffler when I wanna hear that aggressive tone...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Any sustained improvements in fuel economy? I've been eyeballing these and if I ever decide to lose the Magnaflow this will be the replacement.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Keith, if those are 2 1/2 " pipes, then it's low end is suffering, it would need the "HelmHoltz resonators" Mod like what you made for me..
If anyone has no idea what I'm talking about or just wants to see a photo of Keith (action photo as he is installing my new Mod on a previous Exhaust Mod he did).. here's a link:D
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...99-how-properly-built-exhaust-system-works-6/

btw, Keith's attention to detail is second to none. Is there anyone else who actually hand makes an incredible Muffler??:tu:

"Somebody just posted this pic, looks like TRD makes mufflers with the same kind of design as Keith's"...,
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
544 Posts
Any sustained improvements in fuel economy? I've been eyeballing these and if I ever decide to lose the Magnaflow this will be the replacement.
Maybe a 1 or 2 mpg, but it isnt too much like on any muffler. It sounds great and on the butt dyno it feels great! Mileage is better but still not a huge improvement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have about 2500 miles on my BAmuffler now & much like the others here, I could not be happier!! My exhaust shop comprade had the same concerns as mentioned; "Man that's a short muffler", "I'll bet that thing will run you out of your truck", etc.:confused: But I trusted Keith's instructions & we cut the stock resonator off & mounted exactly where Keith said to. Guess what? It works exactly as Keith said it would!!:tu: Extremely well built, delivered as promised, performs as promised!! I haven't lost any low end torque & I'm certain the fuel mileage would increase slightly, if I'd keep my foot out of it, even just a little!!:eek: Thanks Keith & when your ready for an exhaust, do yourself a favor & contact "EscondidoTundra" for the Tundra specific BAmuffler, you won't regret it!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whether it is in my head or not, the truck does seem to have a bit more jump off the line and I now have three full fill-ups and am getting a 1 mpg improvement. It ain't much, but it sure beats losing MPG's!!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
How much is BAmuffler? i PM'd him but no response yet. I want something that sounds better :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have had mine now for about a month and have been keeping an eye on my MPGs using my UltraGauge. For city driving I used to get about 13.5, now I get 14.7, for highway I used to get 17.5, now I get 19.5. SO over all good improvement. I will keep a track and see how the numbers level off.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Whether it is in my head or not, the truck does seem to have a bit more jump off the line and I now have three full fill-ups and am getting a 1 mpg improvement. It ain't much, but it sure beats losing MPG's!!
definitely not in your head, literally every person with this muffler reports the same thing!! I tell every person that I talk to, this muffler will make your truck feel more responsive and faster on the top end as well! It's literally the perfect sizing for the Tundra:first:

thanks again guys!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I originally said this about my muffler, but it applies to Keith's as well, maybe you should make it your slogan Keith!
It's like a good girlfriend: stays quiet most of the time and screams when I want it to. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts