Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, I was active on here a long time ago but could not get my old user account to work. I'm the tundra fan boy formally known as cpfan. Well I did it. Just bought a new 2014 TSS off road 4x4 (white) love it! so happy to be back in a tundra. I love everything about it except for the radio. I was misled by my stealership NW Arkansas Toyota. I was led to believe the radio would have the apps and that all I had to do was download an ap from itunes. Well not only was that untrue but the radio will not fully support my iPhone 5. So I can receive texts, but not answer them. BUYER BEWARE. Oh well while the radio was one of the top three reasons I went back to a tundra, I still love the truck. I wanted it so bad I traded a three month old Nissan pro4x for it. What a difference. The tundra has more power, stops faster and handles WAY better than the Nissan. And looks awesome. Just wish the entunes didn't suck so bad :)

Also, is there going to be a new forum created for the 2014's/third gens? I'm not seeing much posted about them yet.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! I learned some time ago to not believe what the sales people tell you. They know way less than we do in most cases. Unfortunate, but true. Hell, even the service managers are clueless when it comes to some things. Anyway, enjoy your new Tundra, and post some pics when you get a chance. We all love pics.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Which level of Entune did you specify when you ordered your new Tundra? Below is a description of each level. You can check your window sticker to determine which you have but I suspect you already know.

Toyota will offer four different Entune units. Entune Audio is the most basic, with AM/FM radio, CD, Bluetooth, aux and USB inputs, voice recognition and text-to-speech, all controlled through a 6.1-inch touchscreen. Entune Audio Plus gets a higher-resolution screen; HD radio, traffic and weather; and SiriusXM satellite radio. Entune Premium Audio with Nav and App Suite adds navigation, more weather and traffic capabilities and Cache Radio, which allows listeners to pause or rewind live radio. It also includes the Entune App Suite with new apps such as Yelp and Facebook Places. Finally, Toyota Entune Premium JBL Audio with Nav and App Suite is the top-tier system, with a digital amplifier and JBL speakers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which level of Entune did you specify when you ordered your new Tundra? Below is a description of each level. You can check your window sticker to determine which you have but I suspect you already know.

Toyota will offer four different Entune units. Entune Audio is the most basic, with AM/FM radio, CD, Bluetooth, aux and USB inputs, voice recognition and text-to-speech, all controlled through a 6.1-inch touchscreen. Entune Audio Plus gets a higher-resolution screen; HD radio, traffic and weather; and SiriusXM satellite radio. Entune Premium Audio with Nav and App Suite adds navigation, more weather and traffic capabilities and Cache Radio, which allows listeners to pause or rewind live radio. It also includes the Entune App Suite with new apps such as Yelp and Facebook Places. Finally, Toyota Entune Premium JBL Audio with Nav and App Suite is the top-tier system, with a digital amplifier and JBL speakers.

Well I was led to believe that the entune in my new truck would let me get weather and traffic updates. But it depends on HD radio. We don't have that available in NW Arkansas. So no weather or traffic. Also I asked the guy at toyota's help desk if any cell phones would let me use 100% of my radios functionality. And he said no.

So they don't know of any phone that is 100% compatable with this radio. That's criminal to sell something that they know only half works.

Arrrgggg! I hope there's a class action

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bet android works just fine with that radio apples are small screened garbage phones, change your ohone and problem solved.
IPhone work with most cars 100%. Most stereos are designed for iphones and not androids. I had a galaxy s4 and some stuff on my aftermarket stereo did not work properly while on my iPhone they work perfect. Best phone I have owned so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well I was led to believe that the entune in my new truck would let me get weather and traffic updates. But it depends on HD radio. We don't have that available in NW Arkansas. So no weather or traffic. Also I asked the guy at toyota's help desk if any cell phones would let me use 100% of my radios functionality. And he said no.

So they don't know of any phone that is 100% compatable with this radio. That's criminal to sell something that they know only half works.

Arrrgggg! I hope there's a class action

You're ****ing joking right? A class action suit because your radio doesn't do what you want it to do? That kinda **** scares me personally.

Take the truck back or speak to an attorney if they misrepresented it. Or you could just wait till software gets updated so everything works like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Due diligence my man. Seems like you didn't do it on your 3 month old Nissan and you sure didn't do it on your brand new Tundra. A little research goes a LONG way.

FYI, there are very minor, mostly cosmetic changes for the 2014 year. I doubt they will have a "Gen 3" section to address the new radio and stamped tailgate changes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're ****ing joking right? A class action suit because your radio doesn't do what you want it to do? That kinda **** scares me personally.

Take the truck back or speak to an attorney if they misrepresented it. Or you could just wait till software gets updated so everything works like it is supposed to.

If you re read my post you will see I said that they told me that they (Toyota not the dealer) did not know of any phone that would work all the features of the radio. They advertise it in the dealerships as being able to do things like answer texts with the hands free. What they left out was that 99% of the phones out there are not 100% compatable with the radio. I think they are ethically responsible to disclose that info in the advertising for the radios.

Its sad to see such complacency towards dishonesty.

·
Registered
916 Posts
What they left out was that 99% of the phones out there are not 100% compatable with the radio. I think they are ethically responsible to disclose that info in the advertising for the radios.

Its sad to see such complacency towards dishonesty.
How often do new phone models come out? How often do updates take place? Do you expect Toyota to update their training every day to keep up with these updates? How about their literature? Television and radio commercials? Ads in the paper?

At some point you are responsible for knowing what you are buying. When I went on a test drive, I tested the 4x4, I tested the acceleration, I tested the braking. It takes about 30 seconds to pair a phone to Bluetooth... why couldn't you pair the phone on a test drive and test out the features yourself? Or search the internet?

By the way, I'm sure the literature has some fine print that states it works with compatible phones. It becomes YOUR responsibility to figure out if your phone is compatible or not. Its not dishonesty on their part, its lack of due diligence on your part.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Matter of fact, a simple google search turns up this website; Toyota - Entune

It states that it works with "most smartphones", never says ALL... but MOST.

Then, it has a phone compatibility page too.. Toyota - Entune

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Due diligence my man. Seems like you didn't do it on your 3 month old Nissan and you sure didn't do it on your brand new Tundra. A little research goes a LONG way.

FYI, there are very minor, mostly cosmetic changes for the 2014 year. I doubt they will have a "Gen 3" section to address the new radio and stamped tailgate changes.

In my defense, I was only surprised by the radio. I love the tundra. Every time I climb in I smile. As for the Nissan... I didn't dislike it. I knew buying it that it was not as fast or handled as well as a tundra. there were things like the locking diff, adjustable pedals, the comfortable seats with armrests, the bedrail system with rails in the floor of the bed, the bigger cab (then the DC) The clips in the seats that when folded up hold grocery bags so things don't slide around, and my favorite detail was the lights made in the tailgate well that came on when you open the tail gate. I did my home work. I just fell in love with the new tundras. I liked the redesigned interior also. I think the air vents are a big improvement. I wish the transmission gauge was still there but I am thrilled with the redesign.

I did the reasearch and had no surprises with the Nissan except for a lot of small repairs in three months. As for the tundra. The radio got past me because there seems to be very little info available on it.

Go steelers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update...

Toyota of NW Arkansas has turned me around. I got a letter asking me to call if I was not able to give my dealership top marks in the post sale survey. Well I called and spoke with Chris. "the manager of the dealership" He visited with his people and told me that they did in fact tell me what I said they had and that it was ignorance not malice. I had told him up front that I thought that may have been the case. He offered to take the truck back and return my trade, or order me one with the apps (the navi), or a check I thought about it and decided to take the check. I still love the truck and will replace the radio later if I never grow to like it. The check is more then enough to replace the radio with. That impressed me. I expected him to say "black black no trade back" but he stepped up and made it right. Toyota of NW Arkansas has earned my business. I'll go there first when I get the itch for my next new tundra.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Good news. There are some dealers that will do the right thing. I've had a similar experience and have returned my dealer time and time again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts