Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well 6 months after trading my 07 dbl cab for a 2010 silverado:mad: i couldn't stand it any longer.i had to eat crow and trade for a 2010 tundra c-max.so my advice think twice before getting rid of your tundra you might regret it.:D

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
why did you dislike your '10 silverado so much? just curious

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
why did you dislike your '10 silverado so much? just curious
well cant speak for him but i traded an 8 month old 06 silverado in for my 07 tundra. rattles, seat squeaks, seats in general, fit and finish, quality of materials were some of my gripes but my main reason was too small (regular cab) but my dad's extended cab 06 he bought right before i bought mine is annoying. ride is horrible, rattles in the doors, AC went out, water leaks, crappy seats, etc.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
well cant speak for him but i traded an 8 month old 06 silverado in for my 07 tundra. rattles, seat squeaks, seats in general, fit and finish, quality of materials were some of my gripes but my main reason was too small (regular cab) but my dad's extended cab 06 he bought right before i bought mine is annoying. ride is horrible, rattles in the doors, AC went out, water leaks, crappy seats, etc.
sounds like you had a dud. my 06 GMC ext cab, was a great truck. my only gripe was the seats sucked.

either way, GM trucks were all revamped in 07. so our 06's are kind of a moot point.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
All I know is, two of my good friends have '03+ Silverados with over 140K on each. They drive hte hell out of them. Farm trucks, hunting trucks, and driving trucks. Both have Renegade brush guards on the front. Both have hit about 3-4 deer a piece and both are pretty stout trucks.

Today, we were out tailgating and one of 'em was jumping the curb (I took it slow) and he had his window down and said "I'm comin' in hot" and just hopped that bastard going about 15 mph haha. That should give you an idea about how he drives it. He was going so fast that his front suspension got air off the curb... up.

-rockstate

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I'm interested to hear what you didn't like about your Chevy... For me, the interior is BLAH, the space is CRAMPED, the engine is EEHHHHH (except for the 6.2)... Just doesn't do it for me compared to the Tundra

·
Registered
722 Posts
Like Cavi and Popo,I'm waitin' to read from the OP some reasons for his trade. You'd think by 2010, every truck maker would be stepping up to the plate and offering their best products ever.:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
It seems as if every truck has pro's and con's. I'm not as partial to the brand I drive as long as it offers what I am looking for. With the Tundra, it was the 381 HP and the 6 SPD transmission. The Nissan Titan that I traded had the rear end fall out of it once and was about to go a second time out of warranty, so it was time to go. But I do miss the nice sounding stock exhaust, the fold up or down rear seats that left the floor completely open and little amenities like one touch up/down windows. I have always thought the GMC version was an outstanding looking truck and with the 6.2, a serious consderation for most Tundra buyers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wow, bet that was a pretty expensive lesson to learn.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've always had good luck with my Chevy trucks in the past. That being said they do develop rattles over time in the interior. However, my 2010 Tundra already has more rattles in the interior than any of the Chevy's started out with, so thats not really that good.

For the OP thats expensive for sure, but hope you end up liking your switch.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My wife has a 07 5.3L Yukon w/4spd auto trans and 3.42 rear axle. It is sooooo slow; it's almost impossible to get a wheel to spin. Even she's talking about a new set of gears and posi rear end.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm curious too as to what you didn't like.

The thought has crossed my mind about trading my 08 DC in for a 07+ crew cab Sierra. My mom has a 09 Sierra Denali and it rides pretty good, 6.2 has good power, and I think the interior looks better then the Tundra.

She hasn't had any problems with it that I know of, she had an 08 Denali (before she got T-boned) and she took it to the shop because she got in the truck one day and there was standing water in the passenger side floor. Good thing she had husky liners in it.

The way I see it, EVERY truck made today isn't perfect, your going to have problems. Get a truck that fits your needs and likes. And make sure you get a good warranty too, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys, i can't really bash the chevy much pretty solid for anything you wanted it to do.the main thing was power and gear ratio.most 2010 chevys come standard with a 3.08 gear ratio now and even with a 6 speed auto thats just to high a gear for a truck imo.going over a medium size mountain on the way to work everyday the trans would downshift twice and you would still have to give it throttle. my old 97 towncar with a 4.6 would pull the mountain better. i had the 5.3 my uncle has a 6.2 and says its a beast though.road noise i thought it might be my rearend or tires but after driving my friends his has the same noise and he has the highway tires. i will say his has 3.42 gears and what little i drove it the gears seem to put the engine right in its power band night and day over the 3.08's in my truck.coming home with the tundra i got 19 mpg on the interstate with the chevy i could get like 20 some times 21 but with 3.08 vs 4.30 gears in the tundra i would expect a little better than 1-2 mpg.not really upside down on the trade in that much i gave 27000 for the chevy i got 25000 on the trade in and got the tundra for 7000 off msrp and a good interest rate.

·
Registered
710 Posts
hey guys, i can't really bash the chevy much pretty solid for anything you wanted it to do.
A couple of observations from someone (me) that's driving a 08 5.3 Sierra Z71 Crew (4-spd/3.73). The 3.08 rear is too high for a truck that's going to be worked or raced, but it's probably "ok" for most folks that care more about economy. It's definitely a "highway" gear. The 3.42 is about perfect behind the 6L80 6-spd. One thing to note is that the Tundra has higher gearing in the transmission. The overall gearing in a 4.30 Tundra is about the same as a 3.42 in the GM (6-spd).

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
My wifes 05 Tahoe with the 5.3 has 3.73 gears and books down the highway. Runs great and gets good milage (for what it is) at 95K miles. No major issues (just repalced all of the brakes and turned the rotors).

I went Tundra because even though the Dodhe has more power the seats (at least in my 06) sucked, the fabric used for the interior was crap and the new rear suspension had a lower tow rating than the Tundra. Ford has lost me as a consumer until they prove that their trucks are better. We run 4.3 Chevies as fleet trucks. These things are gutless turds, the gear rations are great for milage but suck with a load or even one of our core trailers (with water about 1800 lbs).

I am not really brand loyal (maybe a soft spot for Toyota, but not too loyal), I buy what works for me.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
8 month old 06 silverado in for my 07 tundra. rattles, seat squeaks, seats in general, fit and finish, quality of materials were some of my gripes but my main reason was too small (regular cab) but my dad's extended cab 06 he bought right before i bought mine is annoying. ride is horrible, rattles in the doors, AC went out, water leaks, crappy seats, etc.
=Chevy :histthefan:

·
Registered
146 Posts
yea i was just curious on what the reasons were, whether it was power reasons or an overall quality complaint. i for one was considering the denali p/u a couple weeks back when i traded my '08 DC sr5 in for my '10 CM ltd. my honest to god reason for not even test driving the denali was because of the damn column shift that GM cant seem to get away from. the awd wasnt to attractive either being in the heart of arizona most of the time

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A couple of observations from someone (me) that's driving a 08 5.3 Sierra Z71 Crew (4-spd/3.73). The 3.08 rear is too high for a truck that's going to be worked or raced, but it's probably "ok" for most folks that care more about economy. It's definitely a "highway" gear. The 3.42 is about perfect behind the 6L80 6-spd. One thing to note is that the Tundra has higher gearing in the transmission. The overall gearing in a 4.30 Tundra is about the same as a 3.42 in the GM (6-spd).
Toyota screwed the pooch with the 6 gear in the tundra. Its just plain stupid high and is just about pointless with stock size tires much less anything oversize. They probably could have put a lower ratio in like 4.56 and gotten the same mileage while making the trans work less since it has to down shift on every incline currently with their chosen setup. I know toyota's thinking of having a high gear to lug around but it doesn't help anything if the trans has to downshift so often anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts