Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone's opinions here, I added a Hellwig sway bar to the rear of my '00 Tundra, (liked it so much, I have a front bar on order), and decided not to go with an aftermarket CAI, (stay stock).

Now, I'm in the market for a back-up sensor and/or camera. I want it to be wireless, and fit in my reciever hitch. Anybody have advice on these?

Thanks in advance.
Mack

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The cheap ones ( PeP Boys. Walmart ..etc ) that you get for less than $100 are junk. They only work in full sun and are not clear at all.

Crutchfield has several BOYO and Audiovox models available but I have never used any of them.

Anybody bought one of those ??

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the wireless ones are junk. they get more interference than anything useable. there are many wired ones on ebay for example now that are thousands times better for cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Boyo camera that works very well in daylight or in the dark. It's wired to my Kenwood head unit screen. I have it mounted in a plastic trailer hitch cover. I also have parking sensors front and rear, also wired. The wiring for both items takes a little time, but it's not very difficult.

Here's a link to the sensors I bought:
Front and Rear Parking Sensor System with 4 Front and 4 Rear In-Bumper Sensors. Sensor Color: Dark-Red (Maroon). Wired LED Display with Built in Audible Alert. F4R4LDR-441840

Here's a link for the Boyo:
Boyo VTK100 Keyhole Type Camera - Rear View Camera / Back up Camera / Discount Auto Electronics

·
Premium Member
999 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the cheap one from pep boys. I have it wired in though. I just used a stereo wire. It has to be stereo, can't be a mono one, it has to have 3 conductors. Still not a great picture, but with it wireless it's just too far in a DC from the bumper to the cab to get good signal.

Be careful with a reciever mounted one, it's gonna attract a ton of dirt when it's wet out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the BOYO is a great unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input.

Anyone have dealings with the Master Lock Hitch Alignment/Back Up Camera or the Dolphin Sonarstep?

Mack

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
post a pic if you've got it of where/how you mounted this.
I took a picture tonight with my iphone with my dirty truck parked in the garage, so the quality is poor but you get the idea. The unit has built in bolts that go through the holes in the bumper. You just attach the nuts from the backside. The black object is my laser shifter. I ran the wiring up the pillar on the drivers side and tucked the wire under the headliner. I did not have to remove or lower the headliner. cam.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took a picture tonight with my iphone with my dirty truck parked in the garage, so the quality is poor but you get the idea. The unit has built in bolts that go through the holes in the bumper. You just attach the nuts from the backside. The black object is my laser shifter. I ran the wiring up the pillar on the drivers side and tucked the wire under the headliner. I did not have to remove or lower the headliner. View attachment 30020

Looks good. I went on and ordered one for myself. What is the best way to run the wiring into the cab? Did you have to take the piller trim off to get the wires in there? If so, how? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Mack

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Looks good. I went on and ordered one for myself. What is the best way to run the wiring into the cab? Did you have to take the piller trim off to get the wires in there? If so, how? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Mack
If I remember correctly there is a wire you tie into your back up light wire with a squeeze connector. You then run the monitor cable along the drivers side frame. I used wire ties to hold it in place next to other things that are already in place there. There is a rubber grommet under the drivers seat. Just poke a small hole and run the cable through it. You can seal it with silicone afterwards if you like. The cable can be easily routed under the trim panel under the door. Just remove the 3 or 4 screws and lift it out. You will see lots of wires already under it. There are two little plastic plugs you need to pry out of the pillar cover. Then remove the 2 screws holding it on and pull off the cover. The headrest part is really easy. No need to do anything other than push the cable between the truck roof and headliner using your fingers. I think the quality of this unit is far superior to the wireless units and it only takes about 30 minutes to hook up. No special talent is needed. If you can screw in a light bulb, you can install this. I like the proximity sensors that work in conjunction with the back up camera. I like my truck to look perfect but I have lightly backed into 2 items in the last 7 years. When I had to buy a bumper for the 2ND time, I decided to buy this thing. It is a lot cheaper than a bumper!

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
can you tell if you are just inches away from a wall or something so you don't hit it while parking (backing in?). at what distance from an object does the sound turn to a steady beep?
You can tell by the sound, the word "stop" flashes plus you can see on the monitor. When it tells you to stop, I look in the camera and can back pretty close to something without hitting it. You can see the object and the bumper in the display. I think it is best to say that you just practice a little and get used to it. I only have a foot or so extra in the garage when I back in but normally I stop a bit further away from things, probably 3 ft.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
thanks. about how far away does "stop" happen?
I will let you know Friday or Saturday. I 'll back up with different things behind me and off to the side so I can tell you using different situations. I park in my garage and it is pretty tight. I have noticed it tells me if I'm getting too close to the side wall also. This happens if I am backing at an angle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I remember correctly there is a wire you tie into your back up light wire with a squeeze connector. You then run the monitor cable along the drivers side frame. I used wire ties to hold it in place next to other things that are already in place there. There is a rubber grommet under the drivers seat. Just poke a small hole and run the cable through it. You can seal it with silicone afterwards if you like. The cable can be easily routed under the trim panel under the door. Just remove the 3 or 4 screws and lift it out. You will see lots of wires already under it. There are two little plastic plugs you need to pry out of the pillar cover. Then remove the 2 screws holding it on and pull off the cover. The headrest part is really easy. No need to do anything other than push the cable between the truck roof and headliner using your fingers. I think the quality of this unit is far superior to the wireless units and it only takes about 30 minutes to hook up. No special talent is needed. If you can screw in a light bulb, you can install this. I like the proximity sensors that work in conjunction with the back up camera. I like my truck to look perfect but I have lightly backed into 2 items in the last 7 years. When I had to buy a bumper for the 2ND time, I decided to buy this thing. It is a lot cheaper than a bumper!

Great info. Thank you. I'm the world's worse about doing something, then looking at it and saying, "I should have ----". With your instructions, I'm sure everything will go both smoothly, and, more importantly, I'll only have to do it once. The unit should be here today, (Friday), and I'll try the install this weekend.

Thanks again
Mack

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Great info. Thank you. I'm the world's worse about doing something, then looking at it and saying, "I should have ----". With your instructions, I'm sure everything will go both smoothly, and, more importantly, I'll only have to do it once. The unit should be here today, (Friday), and I'll try the install this weekend.

Thanks again
Mack
I hope you enjoy this unit as much as I have. It seems like a real quality peace.
Sorry but I did not get a chance to do what I said I would. I think it starts beeping at 5 or 6 feet and the beeps more until it goes on steady and shows the word "stop". I can tell you it is very reliable so far. The distance to where you stop is not an issue because you can see what is behind you. You just get used to it and it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I instaled mine this weekend, (Thanks UnSub), and saw that he didn't have time to check this for you. So, if I may answer for him----

Mine says "STOP" when the unit is 2ft away from the wall. Keep in mind tho, I mounted mine on the license plate like he did. When you take into account how far the bumper sticks out past the plate, that puts my bumper ~1.5ft from the wall.

Mack

1 - 20 of 25 Posts