Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put back-up sensors on my 02 Limited, any advice on brands and best places to buy would be appreciated.

No defect.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Hey stlgasman,

Where did you purchase your system and what was the cost? I have been looking for a non-ultrasonic based system, as I hate the holes in the bumper look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stlgasman- How much was it? How did the install go? I am interested after visiting their website.

No Defect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Backup Sensor

I purchased it at the website mentioned in the first post. They include instructions for mounting in a Sequoia. They leave some things out like where to mount the module but I used some leftover parts from the sensor mounting bracket to make it all work. See the manufacturer's website (http://www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm) and go to dowload installation manual. I paid $190 plus shipping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So how do you like the sensor system so far? They have some other nice things on their website. Ever time I come to TS I see some mod that I would like to do. My wallet gets lighter and lighter! LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Backup sensor

You work from behind the bumper. You remove the bottom trim in the cargo area (with the screws in them), it is the long thin piece. You remove the top trim where the cargo light is. You peel back the drivers side trim in the back to run the wires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stlgasman

On a scale of 1 to 4 how would you rank the ease of the install for someone with handyman skills that rank average. I do not want to get in over my head and screw something up in my brand new vehicle if you know what I mean. I have not worked on cars since the early 80's when I was a kid and held a summer job at the public works dept doing brake jobs, oil changes, transmission fluid changes, and tune-ups etc. on public works vehicles. It's been a long time since I have tried something like this.

No Defect

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stlgasman

I enabled my e-mail, you can e-mail me by clicking by Nodefect on the left hand side of one of my threads.

No Defect

·
Registered
11 Posts
Appearance?

Do the sensors from ROSTRA hang down below the bumper?
If I was sitting on the ground 10 feet behind my Sequoia, could I see the sensors?
Have you tested it, does it really work?
Where did you mount the 3 coor warning LED?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Backup Sensor

It is a little too sensitive for my taste. I spoke with Rostra and they said to play around with the brackets or putting materials to interfere with the sensor detection. It's my wife's car. I haven't had the opportunity to really put it through a test. I just got in over the weekend .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Back-up Sensors on your Sequoia?

I'm curious if anyone out there has installed any of the after-market back-up sensors. I know my wife would be much more confident with them installed....the one thing she doesn't like about the Sequoia is it is difficult for her to see backing up, etc.
We also just had a terrible accident near our home where a large truck was backing up away from a gas pump and a young 7 year old girl was walking behind the truck...and unfortunately she was run over and killed.

What if any backup sensors would people choose to use if installing themselves....I'm not worried about the install...I've done all my own work...running boards, deflectors, hitch, lights, etc.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have had the AutoPark 2000 (or SmartPark) for about a year now. It is based on infrared.

It works great, but is truly the most useful in parking garages. There is usually not much need to get close enough to make it go off in a normal parking situation.

The Sequoia really needs two, each one about a foot in from the corner. This would be the safest to be most sensitive to tricycles, bikes, kids, etc. I only have one in the center and in some cases it would have let me hit something with the corner of the bumper if a car or something was only blocking one of the corners or if I was backing at a sharp angle to something. The manual mentions this and I agree with it based on experience. If I was doing it again, I would definitely use two. I put mine on the license plate frame to make it inconspicuous, but I would recommend using two under the bumper. This would give extremely good protection and I bet it wouldn't give too many false alarms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I priced these on multiple websites and found it for a good price at www.overstock.com. They are $23.65 a piece (2.95 shipping). Every place else seemed to be double or triple this price.

I'm going to go with your suggestion to mount 2 of them. I'm thinking about putting them on the bumper and using the hitch electrical plug as the electricity source. Won't know until I actually get them.

John Edwards

1 - 20 of 33 Posts