Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Double Cab with the towing package. Has anyone installed or had installed a backup camera on this truck? Also, if it is pre-wired for a camera, where would I find the plugs? I've read that it/they would be under the rear bumber, but will itbe obvious?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got this one for my 2010 2010 TUNDRA BACKUP MIRROR 3.5 W/AUTO DIM- CAMERA 2010TUNBKUPAUTDM

Literally you plug into a connector underneath the truck near the center and there is a plug in the headliner directly above the rear view mirror and you are done. Obviously you have to take off the access panel on the tailgate and drill a hole for the camera, but it is simple. Somewhere I have a thread on it with pictures I think. The size drill bit you need is a little wacky, like 1 1/16 or something. Other than that, it is one of the easiest mods you can do and I LOVE mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm looking into getting one of these as well. I did some research and apparently, some aftermarket companies offer the whole system in a kit. Audiovox makes a fairly cheap one thats wireless and bolts on to your license plate, the kit comes with the camera and monitor screen. The one spoon059 showed looks bad ass, but a little too pricey for me, especially just for a reverse kit. Anyways, it seems like most of the wired ones connect directly to the 5th wheel light harness. I'm gonna do some more searching, but I'm pretty sure I'll get something soon. Heres some links to what I've found so far...

FRYS.com | DP Video

Welcome to Audiovox

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got this one for my 2010 2010 TUNDRA BACKUP MIRROR 3.5 W/AUTO DIM- CAMERA 2010TUNBKUPAUTDM

Literally you plug into a connector underneath the truck near the center and there is a plug in the headliner directly above the rear view mirror and you are done. Obviously you have to take off the access panel on the tailgate and drill a hole for the camera, but it is simple. Somewhere I have a thread on it with pictures I think. The size drill bit you need is a little wacky, like 1 1/16 or something. Other than that, it is one of the easiest mods you can do and I LOVE mine.
Do you have the Max Crew or the Double Cab? I have the Double Cab. It does have the towing package but I looked under the rear for a wiring harness and plug but didn't see anything.

So, I'm not sure mine is prewired for a camera.. Also, I want mine for the sole purpose of being able to back under my hitch when I'm alone. Does this let you do that? I'm not concerned with kids on bikes and skateboards, I just want to be able to hitch up to my trailer.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the double cab too. My harness was a between the spare tire and the passenger frame rail. It is clipped up to the bottom of the bed. The plug has a cap on it to keep out the elements, so it may not be the most obvious wiring plug. If you lower the tailgate, you can see a square hole towards the passenger side, on the edge of the bed. That's where the wire gets passed through, the harness would be adjacent to that.

Yes, it works great for lining up a trailer. It has a much higher perch than a license plate mounted camera and gives you a birds eye view for lining up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the double cab too. My harness was a between the spare tire and the passenger frame rail. It is clipped up to the bottom of the bed. The plug has a cap on it to keep out the elements, so it may not be the most obvious wiring plug. If you lower the tailgate, you can see a square hole towards the passenger side, on the edge of the bed. That's where the wire gets passed through, the harness would be adjacent to that.

Yes, it works great for lining up a trailer. It has a much higher perch than a license plate mounted camera and gives you a birds eye view for lining up.
From looking at your signature, I assume you have the Rostra camera. If that is correct, which kit did you use and how is the resolution. For my needs, it doesn't have to be pin point resolution, I just need to see the hitch and even at that, it's not a frequent occurence.

Update:
I did look under the truck and there is a plug with four wires and a plastic protective cap. Now my question becomes, is that plug configuration universal or is it t proprietary to Toyota and requiring modification to install a camera system

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have this one, 2010 TUNDRA BACKUP MIRROR 3.5 W/AUTO DIM- CAMERA 2010TUNBKUPAUTDM

The plug is specific to Toyota's camera, but this Rostra camera uses the stock connections. I am sure you could find someone to buy a less expensive camera and splice into the wires, or buy a cheaper license plate mounted camera. I wanted the cleaner look, a higher quality camera and better theft protection then those models offer. Resolution is good enough for me. I can see clearly and know exactly what I am looking at. Its not grainy, actually pretty crisp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just put a backup cam on my 07 about a month ago. Mine is connected to my Head Unit (aftermarket Kenwood). I was able to get the camera (an IR unit with IR LEDs) for $18 including shipping on ebay! The only issue is it took a MONTH to get here but you can't beat having a 6 inch monitor and the resolution is fabulous.

As far as cabling goes there is an existing cable for the backup cam that under the tailgate and goes up to the overhead console but the voltage is different (7v I think) and then you have to get it from the overhead through the headliner and down to the dash. So I just ran a new cable under the truck. That part was easy but getting it through the firewall was a royal pain. If you decide to go that route let me know and I will share some info that might save you some time.

If you want a simple unit autozone sells a wireless unit with a (small) display for $79.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm wondering - does anyone know if the Rostra camera will fit into the OEM handle that is pre-formed for the factory camera? Just wondering if there's another way to install the camera and avoid having to drill.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think the Rostra camera needed a 1 1/16 hole or something like that. If you go to the website you can download instructions which will tell you the exact size.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the Rostra camera on my 2007 mounted to the tailgate handle. I would prefer a more flush fit to the handle and a look closer to the OEM part, but other than that, it works. The camera housing (shroud) is somewhat fragile, so be careful installing it.

You need to find a step-bit that can do 1 1/16 holes, which can be a challenge. Also, it was a real BEAR getting the overhead console screwed back in place. With two people we still struggled to get it re-installed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed the OEM Toyota rearview mirror w/homelink and tailgate camera a couple months ago. Got the whole kit on ebay delivered for $590. Ebay seller was a toyota dealer and last time I checked theywere still selling the kit for the same price. I also found a step bit on Amazon for about $14 which worked great - much better than spending the $40+ that home depot wanted. The whole installation took less than an hour on my 2010 DC grade w/factory tow package. I believe the key is to have the factory tow pacakage so that you have the factory harness already in place. Also, the grade has the lesser of the overhead consoles and was easy to partially remove and then reinstall after the mirror was connected. The hardest part was snaking the wires through the tailgate but even that wasn't too bad. One helpful hint that I figure out was once the access panel is removed from the inside of the tailgate, you have access to the back side of the thailgate handle. I removed the handle to mark the correct drill location and then reinstalled the handle. With the tailgate down, you can then drill through the back of the handle without worries of drilling into anything underneath and without marking up the face of the handle - very easy and clean. Just drill a pilot hole first and then remove the plastic cuttings from iside the tailgate once all the drilling is done.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
If you have tan interior, I might have a solution. I have a Rostra sunglass mount display and a camera you mount near the licence plate. It was designed for vehicle without factory wiring so there should be no problem mounting it in a newer truck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up a cheap navi/wireless camera system at Walmart. The navi is crap but the camera works great for parking a trailer hook-up. Camera mounted on upper license plate screw.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I installed the OEM Toyota rearview mirror w/homelink and tailgate camera a couple months ago. Got the whole kit on ebay delivered for $590. Ebay seller was a toyota dealer and last time I checked theywere still selling the kit for the same price. I also found a step bit on Amazon for about $14 which worked great - much better than spending the $40+ that home depot wanted. The whole installation took less than an hour on my 2010 DC grade w/factory tow package. I believe the key is to have the factory tow pacakage so that you have the factory harness already in place. Also, the grade has the lesser of the overhead consoles and was easy to partially remove and then reinstall after the mirror was connected. The hardest part was snaking the wires through the tailgate but even that wasn't too bad. One helpful hint that I figure out was once the access panel is removed from the inside of the tailgate, you have access to the back side of the thailgate handle. I removed the handle to mark the correct drill location and then reinstalled the handle. With the tailgate down, you can then drill through the back of the handle without worries of drilling into anything underneath and without marking up the face of the handle - very easy and clean. Just drill a pilot hole first and then remove the plastic cuttings from iside the tailgate once all the drilling is done.
How flush does your camera mount to the tailgate handle? Mine has a gap, more around the bottom where you can see the adhesive tape - not the best look...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm wondering - does anyone know if the Rostra camera will fit into the OEM handle that is pre-formed for the factory camera? Just wondering if there's another way to install the camera and avoid having to drill.
Did you ever find an answer for this? I would love to use the OEM handle with the Rostra camera. The camera has an allen screw to secure it against the housing, so it might work in the Toyota OEM handle. Anyone know?

·
Registered
36 Posts
FlatIronsDreamer - mine is pretty tight. I had forgot until you asked the question that I made one minor deviation when drilling the hole. Because the camera goes in through the hole at an angle it doesn't fit perfectly with the straight cut hole. So what I did was once the hole was drilled to just about the right size (approx. 1 1/16") I then used a knife to shave the top inside edge and the bottom outside edge (or vice versa, I forget) of the hole so that the camera fits in at the angle better and gives a tight fit all around. Again - this is another benefit of using a step bit so that you can enlarge the hole diameter in small increments rather than all at once.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey gang, sorry for not getting back sooner. I'm having issues with my login, and my computer is giving my problems too. Gotta use the wife's comp. Anyway, I guess I should've mentioned this from the start. I picked up a camera system last week from Pat Lobb Toyota in Texas. This is a Gentex mirror/monitor with homelink, auto-dim, and compas, along with a Rostra tailgate camera. My CM is prewired so the install should be easy. What I would prefer to do is to remove the camera from it's original housing and place it into a Tundra OEM housing for a cleaner look. The Rostra has a set screw in the side, which I'm guessing is used to rotate the camera. I'm also guessing that removing the screw will allow the camera to be removed from the housing.

Which brings me back to my original question - does anyone know if the Rostra camera can be removed from its housing and installed into the Toyta OEM housing? Or do you know anyone who has done this mod? Anyone with connections with Toyota who can find out this answer?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey gang, sorry for not getting back sooner. I'm having issues with my login, and my computer is giving my problems too. Gotta use the wife's comp. Anyway, I guess I should've mentioned this from the start. I picked up a camera system last week from Pat Lobb Toyota in Texas. This is a Gentex mirror/monitor with homelink, auto-dim, and compas, along with a Rostra tailgate camera. My CM is prewired so the install should be easy. What I would prefer to do is to remove the camera from it's original housing and place it into a Tundra OEM housing for a cleaner look. The Rostra has a set screw in the side, which I'm guessing is used to rotate the camera. I'm also guessing that removing the screw will allow the camera to be removed from the housing.

Which brings me back to my original question - does anyone know if the Rostra camera can be removed from its housing and installed into the Toyta OEM housing? Or do you know anyone who has done this mod? Anyone with connections with Toyota who can find out this answer?
I had the same idea - I contacted Rostra and they say you can't use the camera from their Tundra kit in the OEM handle with camera port. The OEM camera has a square mount with two diagonal bolts, quite a bit different than the round Rostra camera - bummer...

·
Registered
254 Posts
FlatIronsDreamer - mine is pretty tight. I had forgot until you asked the question that I made one minor deviation when drilling the hole. Because the camera goes in through the hole at an angle it doesn't fit perfectly with the straight cut hole. So what I did was once the hole was drilled to just about the right size (approx. 1 1/16") I then used a knife to shave the top inside edge and the bottom outside edge (or vice versa, I forget) of the hole so that the camera fits in at the angle better and gives a tight fit all around. Again - this is another benefit of using a step bit so that you can enlarge the hole diameter in small increments rather than all at once.
Thanks for the info. I too used a step bit and then filed the edges to get a better fit, but it seemed the adhesive tape was uneven on the bottom and so it didn't fit flush. Then I cracked the shroud trying to use more force -- ugh. What fun. It's a shame Toyota won't make the OEM camera anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts