Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
I considered purchasing that one. If memory serves me, you have to run a complete new wiring harness from front to rear. Since I had the tow package that was already prewired for a backup camera, I got one that plugs directly into the factory wiring harness. The factory rear view mirror was replaced and I had to take apart the tailgate to run the wire and cut the hole in the handle. Took me all of 45 minutes to install, and thats because I double checked EVERYTHING before I started cutting.

2010 TUNDRA BACKUP MIRROR 3.5 W/AUTO DIM- CAMERA 2010TUNBKUPAUTDM

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I purchased this very kit from Sparks TRD in the year I visited myrtle beach. Very satisified and it works even in the extreme cold of the great white north! ;)

You just need to have the tow package on your truck or it can't be installed. And this camera works when you put it in reverse, it feeds power to the camera from the wiring that detects reverse :)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the tow package. What is needed for the camera? My SR5 has the electronics at the back where the hitch should be. Just no hitch =P.

·
Registered
916 Posts
There is a wiring harness at the rear of my truck in the middle of the bed for the camera. Also, there is a wiring harness at the front of the truck in the headliner. If you have those harness's you probably are pre wired, which would make the Rostra camera a good option for you. If you don't have the neccessary wiring, the Sparks kit includes wiring.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I considered purchasing that one. If memory serves me, you have to run a complete new wiring harness from front to rear. Since I had the tow package that was already prewired for a backup camera, I got one that plugs directly into the factory wiring harness. The factory rear view mirror was replaced and I had to take apart the tailgate to run the wire and cut the hole in the handle. Took me all of 45 minutes to install, and thats because I double checked EVERYTHING before I started cutting.

2010 TUNDRA BACKUP MIRROR 3.5 W/AUTO DIM- CAMERA 2010TUNBKUPAUTDM
So can this kit be added to the 2008 Tundra..? I have a TRD O/R but dont have the tow button because I have the center console. I planned on getting the plug in kit with the flip down monitor and new tailgate handle but never got around to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts