Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase an SR5 next month with Nav and I was under the assumption the backup camera was part of this $2,800 option. While looking at trucks available in my area, Atl, I found one that showed an extra $700 charge for the camera. Was I wrong? Has anyone purchased Nav with an SR5 and had the camera included? Thanks everyone for any help. Getting answers from the salesmen is next to impossilble in my area. 99% of my knowledge has come from you guys so don't let me down on this one :D .

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello, when i was looking i notice those too and i ask the same question of a dealer about another regions trucks that showed this . he said the camera was being added ( 3.5" monitor) because the aftermarket or port nav they were selling did not support it. do not know if it is true .

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
This is just an idea, but it would be much cheaper to buy the truck without the factory nav. or backup camera and just put in your own aftermarket nav. such as the Pioneer or Alpine nav. Both brands can incorporate the backup camera and cost about $1000. Then you can just buy the camera online and install it all yourself. The Tundras are prewired for all this so install should be a snap.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wow. If SET is adding port-installed (non-factory) nav that doesn't support the backup camera display - meaning that the additional not-as-good backup screen must be installed at a higher installation price then that's a totally outrageous screwed-up rip-off!

I hope you aren't foolish enough to buy a truck configured like that. :td: :td: :td:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. If SET is adding port-installed (non-factory) nav that doesn't support the backup camera display - meaning that the additional not-as-good backup screen must be installed at a higher installation price then that's a totally outrageous screwed-up rip-off!

I hope you aren't foolish enough to buy a truck configured like that. :td: :td: :td:

This is exactly what I was worried about but the nav cost makes it look like a factory option. If the camera isn't included in that price I am definitely going aftermarket. I'm tempted as it is but my concerns about the integration makes me lean towards the factory unit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I ordered the factory Navi, My truck truck better have the backup camera built into the Navi or they can kiss my big fat @ss goodbye.. :cool:

I ordered the factory DVD Navi. On the Options Installed sheet:
DVD Navigation System w/Backup Monitor, Invoice $1,368 MSRP $1,650

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered thefactory Navi, My truck truck better have the backup camera built in to the Navi or they can kiss my big fat @ss goodbye.. :cool:

DVD Navigation System w/Backup Monitor, Invoice $1,368 MSRP $1,650

Is yours a limited? I think the pricing is different on these due to the JBL stereo being standard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, They had me sweating...:D

No problem. I considered the Limited but the main reason I'm going SR5 is lack of black leather- a necessity in my book. I'm hoping I like the orange gauges which is really the only option which may be almost impossible to swap (for the Optitrons).

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
This is just an idea, but it would be much cheaper to buy the truck without the factory nav. or backup camera and just put in your own aftermarket nav. such as the Pioneer or Alpine nav. Both brands can incorporate the backup camera and cost about $1000. Then you can just buy the camera online and install it all yourself. The Tundras are prewired for all this so install should be a snap.
considering there is no install kit for the tundra no... the custom dash will cost you in excess of 1000 dollars to make it look right... but hey whatever... dvd nav is not something i would skip out on besides the nav system the factory installs is integrated to every aspect of the car... o well... but my nav system screen is integrated with the backup camera... my truck stickered at 42,000 i dunno figure it out... LTD TRD 4x4 in Cali

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Who would charge $1000 for a stereo kit and who would pay it? You can come up with your own very nice one for about $20. Or wait a few weeks and someone will come up with a kit for you. How often do you get lost and NEED a NAV system in your truck? You can wait a few weeks to buy aftermarket and a kit.

Remember that stock NAV is not costing just the $1650 MSRP in the Limited. That price is the cost of the upgrade. You are already paying $1160 MSRP for the JBL stereo that comes standard in your Limited package. So the stock toyota NAV is costing you $2810 just like it does for the SR5. So the SR5 owners would be smart to go with an aftermarket NAV system that costs $1000 and just replaces the standard stereo and a couple hundred on a stock rear camera. Then they can use the extra $1500 on accessories or whatever.

Edit: If you want to spend that much, you might as well get an Infill G4 nav system in your truck. It's basically a full computer in a 2 din slot and costs $2K. It was supposed to be released in the US last week, but I haven't heard of anyone getting one yet. Here's an article and pictures:

Infill G4 - Car PC from Korea with GPS navigation system -- NaviGadget
No offense, but that thing runs Windows... that means that its going to crash, freeze, or have that spinning time-clock go on anytime you want to get something done. :D:D:D Thankfully Microsoft doesn't make cars!
There is also a site dedicated to doing this stuff with a Mac Mini by showing you how to make your own fully functioniong system with a remote control, wireless synchronization of audio/video, and GPS/Navigation with touchscreen keyboard (or bluetooth keyboard if you prefer)... If I remember where the web site is, I'll post it!

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I ordered the factory Navi, My truck truck better have the backup camera built into the Navi or they can kiss my big fat @ss goodbye.. :cool:

This concerns me since I am also in the SET (Columbia, SC) Granted I ordered the TRD (SR5) DC, and it was ordered directly from the factory by the dealer. I hope that it's not an aftermarket navi installed with the camera monitor on the overhead console. like you, I will let them kiss my @ss (Though, I have the opposite problem as you...my @ss iskinda skinny)

Was your truck ordered from the factory with the nav or was it a dealer afterthought? Did you have it special ordered, or buying it off of the lot?

The $hitty thing about this deal, is that they are charging 2800 for the nav package which comes with the camera...then they are tacking on another $700 for the camera...if I were you, I'd demand a STEEP discount, and make sure that they remove the $700. I'm going to call my dealer today about it, but my order sheet shows $2800 for Nav (including backup camera) and shows no other listing for the backup camera.

:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello,at first i wanted a stand alone camera and did not want/need nav but i sat in truck with the stand alone camera monitor and i ended up ordering the factory nav sys with intergrated camera . the monitor is much nicer and the nav has features i like now but did not realize then.also the xm radio on my nav screen is nice. .....my 2 cents

·
Registered
210 Posts
I feel for you guys in the SET region. I would hate to buy a vehicle down there. There seems to be a lot of horror stories with aftermarket junk and a lot of it looks tacky. It doesn't seem to make sense, since Toyota invests millions in reserach and development to create products that are classy and in demand. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yeah, there's another thread where a guy has a Park Pilot knob (non-factory rear-only sonar) with, of course, nothing in the instruction manual about how it works since it's not a factory option.

GGWOODY, I would take a look at the nav description you were given, in writing, and look for the factory description that is posted multiple times here. It should have the description of the JBL 440W system and integrated backup camera. If I saw that, I would be pretty confident it was a factory nav.

Here's one from the Gulf States region which I'm not sure about because it says 10 speakers while the factory brochure says 12.

Dvd Navigation System W/Backup Monitor,
  • JBL Am/Fm W/4-Disc Changer10 Speakers Including Subwoofer8 Ch 440w AmplifierBluetooth CapabilitySteering Wheel Audio Controls And Auxiliary Audio Jack
$1,650

Of course, someone from Gulf States might have just made a mistake and typed in the nav description from the factory when these trucks actually have an aftermarket nav. The price doesn't seem right, either.

Charles Maund Toyota Austin Texas Toyota Dealer South Texas Toyota Dealer New Toyota Used Toyota Preowned Toyota Pre-Owned Toyota Certified Toyota Cars Toyota Trucks Toyota SUV’s Toyota Sales Toyota Service Toyota Parts Toyota Finance Toyota Avalon

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Who would charge $1000 for a stereo kit and who would pay it? You can come up with your own very nice one for about $20. Or wait a few weeks and someone will come up with a kit for you. How often do you get lost and NEED a NAV system in your truck? You can wait a few weeks to buy aftermarket and a kit.

Remember that stock NAV is not costing just the $1650 MSRP in the Limited. That price is the cost of the upgrade. You are already paying $1160 MSRP for the JBL stereo that comes standard in your Limited package. So the stock toyota NAV is costing you $2810 just like it does for the SR5. So the SR5 owners would be smart to go with an aftermarket NAV system that costs $1000 and just replaces the standard stereo and a couple hundred on a stock rear camera. Then they can use the extra $1500 on accessories or whatever.

Edit: If you want to spend that much, you might as well get an Infill G4 nav system in your truck. It's basically a full computer in a 2 din slot and costs $2K. It was supposed to be released in the US last week, but I haven't heard of anyone getting one yet. Here's an article and pictures:

Infill G4 - Car PC from Korea with GPS navigation system -- NaviGadget
i am very wierd about my vehicles... everything must be perfect and stock looking... i am just anal retentive like that... and i would pay that to have it look perfect

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Yeah, there's another thread where a guy has a Park Pilot knob (non-factory rear-only sonar) with, of course, nothing in the instruction manual about how it works since it's not a factory option.

GGWOODY, I would take a look at the nav description you were given, in writing, and look for the factory description that is posted multiple times here. It should have the description of the JBL 440W system and integrated backup camera. If I saw that, I would be pretty confident it was a factory nav.

Here's one from the Gulf States region which I'm not sure about because it says 10 speakers while the factory brochure says 12.

Dvd Navigation System W/Backup Monitor,
  • JBL Am/Fm W/4-Disc Changer10 Speakers Including Subwoofer8 Ch 440w AmplifierBluetooth CapabilitySteering Wheel Audio Controls And Auxiliary Audio Jack
$1,650

Of course, someone from Gulf States might have just made a mistake and typed in the nav description from the factory when these trucks actually have an aftermarket nav. The price doesn't seem right, either.

Charles Maund Toyota Austin Texas Toyota Dealer South Texas Toyota Dealer New Toyota Used Toyota Preowned Toyota Pre-Owned Toyota Certified Toyota Cars Toyota Trucks Toyota SUV’s Toyota Sales Toyota Service Toyota Parts Toyota Finance Toyota Avalon
Since it's a DC, I believe it only comes with 10 speakers, not 12. Going to call the dealer at noonerish. I think the 1650 is if you have nav on the limited pkg, and 2810 if you have sr5...bc of the JBL already being in the limited....only a price diff between the jbl and the nav jbl head units.

Here is how it reads on my order sheet...

I couldn't show the whole sheet because my work computer doesn't have acrobat or a decent photo editing program

What do you guys think I'll end up getting?

Like AZNTundra...I'm a perfectionist. I have developed my expectations, and what I get will not deviate from my expectations... I will tear some $hit up and be up the dealer's @ss if they pull the same aftermarket nav thing on me. What I buy will be what is represented on the Toyota website...I'm not going to get some partially integrated BS...If they try it....Rest assured, I will shoot the price to hell, and get a mess of free extras...I had to special order the damned thing, bc there weren't any in my area, I don't want to wait another 9 wks for another....I'm confused and pissy now:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

To my Dealer: if you try rear entry on me...

·
Registered
19 Posts
The SR5 DC I purchased has the backup camera hooked into the JBL NAV system. It's pretty slick with the big screen.

The factory NAV is pretty nice, and the big touch screen is used for NAV, Stereo, backup camera, Bluetooth, maintenance schedules, it even has a personal calendar.

I live in Colorado, and my Tundra was equipped exactly as the "build your tundra" at toyota.com shows.

Details for Option L - $5,640

- Cloth bucket seats with passenger-side fold-flat and 2-way adjustable headrests, driver-side power 10-way adjustable, passenger-side manual 4-way adjustable, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, console shifter, trip computer and center console box (BU)
- 50 state emissions (FE)
- Cold kit includes-heavy-duty battery, heavy-duty starter, enhanced anti-corrosion protection, windshield wiper de-icer grid with timer (CK)
- DVD navigation system [6] with backup camera [7], JBL® AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer and digital audio input, 12 speakers, 440W-peak-output amplifier, Bluetooth® [5] wireless technology capability and steering wheel-mounted audio controls (NV)
- Daytime running lights (RL)
- Front/rear parking sonar (SO)
- Mudguards, front and rear-black (MG)
- TRD Off-Road Package includes off-road-tuned suspension, unique 18-in. alloy wheels with P275/65R18 BFGoodrich® tires, fog lamps, front tow hooks, TRD Off-Road Package graphics, sliding rear window with privacy glass (OF)
- Towing mirror (TM)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts