1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only problem I see with ordering that is you need the camera as well.

"Requires PT533-34070 (camera kit) for DIO installation."

Although if you look up that part number on their website it gives you 20" Carved Wheels. Might be worth a phone call to make sure you get what you expect.

Let us know what you find out.

-D-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just wondering if any of you guys had the backup camera.

Not the one with the nav.... I tested a limited with nav... very nice.

But not in my budget.

Have a CM sr5, and was thinking about the add on backup camera.

Just wondering if anyone had a comments on this.

Toyota Tundra Parts and Accessories Store : Rear Of Vehicle, Back Up Camera Monitor, Graphite, Requires TO or SO - 2007 Toyota Tundra [PT923-35070-11] - $335.00$301.50

thanks
Mark
I have the camera with the overhead monitor and I love it. Of course I would have preferred viewing via the Nav unit, but the price didn't make sense for me (especially since I already have a portable Nav which works just fine).

There's at least one other thread talking about the overhead monitor - most people say (myself included) that they have to bend forward in order to clearly view the monitor but it definitely does the job it is supposed to do (night time picture is kind of poor but daytime picture is adequate).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the camera with the overhead monitor and I love it. Of course I would have preferred viewing via the Nav unit, but the price didn't make sense for me (especially since I already have a portable Nav which works just fine).

There's at least one other thread talking about the overhead monitor - most people say (myself included) that they have to bend forward in order to clearly view the monitor but it definitely does the job it is supposed to do (night time picture is kind of poor but daytime picture is adequate).
Would it be possibe to take a picture for me, so i can see exactly where its mounted, and how it looks.

also, does the kit include everything to install, or did you have dealership look after it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Would it be possibe to take a picture for me, so i can see exactly where its mounted, and how it looks.

also, does the kit include everything to install, or did you have dealership look after it?
It is mounted right above the rearview mirror.
It replaces the sunglass holder.

I had an indash DVD with backup cam in my 05 D/C

I had to have it in the 07 but the nav system was too much.

The 07 unit is prewired into the truck as long as you have the tow package.

Just replace the tailgate handle assembly(camera) and plugs in under the bed.

Then the monitor replaces the sunglass holder and plugs right in. Very nice setup IMHO.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Then the monitor replaces the sunglass holder and plugs right in. Very nice setup IMHO.
so did you install the mini infra red camera(ebay item) in the tailgate handle.
was thier a trim plate required for the monitor to fit??
I'm confused because you said you installed the tailgate camera assy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
so did you install the mini infra red camera(ebay item) in the tailgate handle.
was thier a trim plate required for the monitor to fit??
I'm confused because you said you installed the tailgate camera assy.
Sorry i mislead you.

My old dvd and camera stayed with the 05.
I got the dealer to put the toyota backup camera in the deal on the 07.

Its basically plug and play.

I like the view looking down from the tailgate.
My old setup was behind the license plate and the view wasn't quite as good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you for the reply.

A few questions.

1. Does the kit include everything to install (I have the tow package)
just plug and play?
2. Do you have to get a new tailgate handle, or just put the camera in the existing?
3. Does the monitor fold up, or is it always down?
4. Did you install yours, yourself?
5. If you don't mind, how much did you pay for yours?

thanks again.
Mark,

·
Registered
87 Posts

Here are pics of mine ($749 MSRP soup-to-nuts installed at port, invoice under $600 ):

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are pics of mine ($749 MSRP soup-to-nuts installed at port, invoice under $600 ):

Note that tailgate harness unclips for tailgate removal:

Do you have a pic, of how the monitor looks inside the cab?

thanks for sharing.
Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Doesn't make since does it? Its only a bit more to have it already installed as an option.

I was thinking about it for $300 but changed my mind after I saw it was almost $600.

-D-

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had trouble seeing the display while wearing polarized sunglasses. Anybody else notice?? Maybe my glasses are too dark!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
How about PeP Boy's, they are advertising wireless color backup camera and reciever/moniter for around $100 after $30 rebate. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
595 Posts
FWIW I bought one of these from Walmart. It was on clearance for $80. Mine is faulty, the lens on the camera part has clouded over from moisture. I'll try get it replaced when I have time to go remove it. If they have another great, if not I'll look into others. It works pretty good in the daylight. At night my back-up and tail light reflect off the trailer basically blinding the camera. It is wireless and there is a bit of interference, I wonder if the TPMS is causing the interference? It's not unbearable but it is there.

The bottom line is that these type devices are very handy. It makes hooking up my trailer a breeze. So much so that if I can't find another inexpensive version I'll probably shell out the $600 for the factory camera. Now a question for those that might know. Is the factory camers wireless too?

VR3 Wireless Backup Camera w/Monitor - Wal-Mart

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think I might wait for the aftermarket to come up with a plug-compatible unit for the Tundra. I'm sure it'll happen, since 90% of them are already wired, and the Toyota option is a bit over-priced.

I didn't like that it only worked in reverse, and I'm wondering when there would be a hack for that. It would be nice to just have an on-off switch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
...Is the factory camers wireless too?
Nope, the factory camera is wired. There is a wire harness that unsnaps to allow the tailgate to be removed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nope, the factory camera is wired. There is a wire harness that unsnaps to allow the tailgate to be removed.
I understand that but it could just be for the power and ground. How many wires are in the bundle? Does anyone have a wiring schematic?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts