Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching a hard Tonneau cover for my new CrewMax, I found several manufacturers whose products require the REMOVAL of the deck rail system in order to install their tonneau. What a bummer!!!

My truck has the bed rails and I paid good money for it. My plan was to get a tonneau with a quick removal system (clamps), but I need my deck rail system when I need to tie down cargo when hauling. I hate being put into an either/or situation.

I guess I'll have to decide which one is most important, if I can't have both. :(

·
Preferred Dealer
12 Posts
In researching a hard Tonneau cover for my new CrewMax, I found several manufacturers whose products require the REMOVAL of the deck rail system in order to install their tonneau. What a bummer!!!

My truck has the bed rails and I paid good money for it. My plan was to get a tonneau with a quick removal system (clamps), but I need my deck rail system when I need to tie down cargo when hauling. I hate being put into an either/or situation.

I guess I'll have to decide which one is most important, if I can't have both. :(
Pace Edwards hard retractable JackRabbit, Full Metal JackRabbit and electric Bedlocker all mount to the deck rail system.

It does require the removal of the front rail system behind the cab however.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes. This one doesn't require removing your bed rail system:

The Extang Trifecta folding bed cover has mounting clamps designed to be used with the Toyota OEM rails. I think TS members RVn' Papa and Justa Bum have some posts showing that configuration. I am leaning toward that particular model as it look like it doesn't leave any extraneous, tracks, rails or mounts on the bed sides when folded. I think the Bakflip does this also but initial reports are that the OEM deck rail option has to be removed for the Bakflip. Here are some TS links showing the Trifecta:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/96144-pictures-of-tundra-w-tonneau-covers/#post643559

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/94533-soft-tonneau-cover-any-available/#post631290

If soft vinyl isn't your thing Extand has come out with a similar product that is a hard cover using the same mounts as the Trifecta. It's called Solid Fold:
Solid Fold

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, no luck with either Bakflip or Penda, either. Here's what you get when you search for Tonneaus for the CrewMax:

"Sorry, there were no products found for your truck."

I guess us CrewMax owners will just have to wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered a Bakflip for my CrewMax from the factory: BakFlip Tonneau Cover - Home
Here's a direct cut/paste from Bakflip's site:

2007+ TOYOTA TUNDRA:If you have the Deck Rail System, the Deck Rail System must be removed to install the cover. Even if clamps were created to go directly into the Deck Rail system to install the BAKFlip, you would lose the use of your rail system, as the mounting rails would cover them up.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Here's a direct cut/paste from Bakflip's site:

2007+ TOYOTA TUNDRA:If you have the Deck Rail System, the Deck Rail System must be removed to install the cover. Even if clamps were created to go directly into the Deck Rail system to install the BAKFlip, you would lose the use of your rail system, as the mounting rails would cover them up.
Sorry, I should have read up the thread. I'm resigned to removing the side rails of the system since I can't afford to wait. Good luck on the search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts