Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just got done changing my oil from the reg blend to sythetic. The joker at the dealership told me that my 6 cyl tacoma takes 5 1/2 quarts...not sure if this is the problem....but...
now i changed the oil filter and added the new oil...but my motor sounds like its strangling a cat when the rpms rev up....i did something wrong....this is the first time i did my own oil change on this truck. its an 06 tacoma....can someone help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
100% sure you put in engine oil, not water or whatever?
Did you check the oil level?
Does it sounds like a squeeling belt?
With the correct oil level or something close to it, you are going to be fine. Unless of course you had a catastrophic engine failure right at the moment of the oil change. If that is the case we are going to be talking about this for a long time.

Robert

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you change the oil you need to follow 2 steps:

1) Prior to the change: check the correct grade of oil that your truck uses, how much oil and the correct oil and filter. Also you need to know where the oil fill cap is, oil drain plug and where is the oil filter. Also you need to know where the drain plug of the transmission (automatic or manual) is so you won't get confused. Have the wrench for the plug in hand, a funnel, rags (for cleaning) and maybe an oil filter wrench.

2) When you change it: open the oil fill cap, take out the oil dipstick, place a container that holds more than the capacity of the oil your taking out under the truck and take out the oil drain plug with the wrench first then with the hand not letting the plug get in the container. Wait until all the oil is draining and replace the oil filter with a new one (apply a thin layer of new oil to the filter gasket befor installation )
Clean the plug and put it back, tightening with the wrench. Using the funnel add the recommended amount of oil. Replace the fill cap, and the dip stick (after cleaning it).

Start the truck, check for the oil indicator in the dash, it should be on for a few seconds then off, it's normal. If stays on the pressure is low and you have done something wrong, maybe too little oil or the filter is loose...

After the light goes off step on the gas several times and after a couple of minutes switch off the engine. wait 5 minutes and check the oil in the dipstick, it should be between the min and max points.

If you did this when you changed the oil the problem is somewhere else, if you're not sure check with a mechanic to see what went wrong.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
447 Posts
just let it run a bit( after youve made sure that your oil level is correct and everything is tight!!), cause if oil did get on the belt, it will make it squeal until
it either dries, or soaks into the belt( and if this is the case..soaked in, you may want to change your belt), other than that....you should be ok!! and 5.5 quarts is correct......check your manual for capacities,as its relatively close on everything! hope this helps. keep us posted!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts