Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am coming to the Forum after owning two toyota pickups, a tundra 4wd, a tacoma offroad, and now the 08 Sq. I have an almost pristine 017 Offroad and my two children are destroying the truck, so I bought an 08 Sq that appeared to be very good to excellent. Mechanicals are excellent, 110k, all service done, everything performs flawlessy. However, I noticd a couple of spots here it seemed to me the primer should have been grey and it is white, so I took it to a trusted shop that I use. They went through the truck and confirmed all mechanics are top notch. They also said no accidents and no replaced body parts. They did say it had a rather poor after market paint job--not in execution; the paint covers well and is properly finished. It seems to be flaking off. I don't love the color but it's not the end of the world--Toyota metallic Nautical Blue. Two problems: It's sprayed over a stock white, and second, it seems to be badly mixed. I literally can take a wet rag in certain spots (not everywhere, which is perplexing) and rub the paint off. Other areas show paint flaking off. I have put about 2k on the odometer--any spot where rocks or gravel have hit, the paint is coming off. I now have big dime sized chips in three or four spots, with white underneath. I paid $15k for the vehicle, and in my area it should be $19k or so. My mechanic, a guy I have known for years, says the mechanics are top notch and both maintained as well as up to date on service. He sees it as a 500k vehicle, and beyond. Two questions: Should I sell the vehicle at a loss and disclose the paint issue (maybe I get $10k or $13k....) or, should I have it resprayed, preferably back to original white? What might a quality, or reasonable re-spray cost? I am of course upset with myself about not catching this. EVEN IF I had detected the after market paint job, I still might have bought it--the issue for me is less the respray and more the evidence that it has a bad mix in spots. It doesn't do that everywhere. I do not believe the seller had any knowledge of the bad mix, and I don't really want to go after him or sue him. It's my problem. Durn. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Are you sure the original white paint under the blue paint is not the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your question is logical. I am not sure at all. That might be the reason for the aftermarket spray. Is it possible for unstable white underneath blue to cause blue to flake off? Maybe so. Perhaps that is why the Sq has the after market blue. Doesn't make any sense to me that someone would spray blue over white, but as I mentioned, I just didn't catch it. I don't think I would have declined the sale anyway--the respray is well done. the problem is the fact that it is coming off in chips.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have never heard of any body shop that charges for quotes. Take it to a local shop you trust and ask them what it would cost to do it over and if the problem is the white or blue paint. They should be able to answer all your questions take the time to explain it all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts