Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I started noticing a small engine oil leak on my 2004 Sequoia Rwd. I believe it’s the rear main seal but wanted some input here. I’m posting photos. The leak looks to be right where the tranny and engine bolt together just behind the rack and pinion/front swing arms frame support. It only leaks from the joint that looks flat on the front side. Opinions/input? If it is the rear main seal, any idea what this would typically cost to repair (mechanic), or what a DIY mechanic (i.e. me) would be getting into should he take this on himself? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does your transmission smell and feel like what fluid is leaking? Or is it more like your oil? Usually it's oil but if it's transmission fluid it might not be and might be trailing down from a leak closer up top. My transmission fluid is bright red and I see that same thing but red on mine but it's slowing dripping from one of my hoses above the water bypass on the driver side. If it isn't and it is engine oil then using Blue Devil rear main seal oil additive and after their interval change your oil or however they tell you to use it. [Unlikely but also make sure everything near there is torqued to spec]

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a all typed out repair for DIY guy but then I looked up the rear main seal and it's a one piece seal. Years ago it was a rope style seal in the bearing cap and you could mostly repair this leak. And yes it does look like a rear main squirting out of that seal. A quick call to a trusted dealer will give a great ball park figure, but I'm guessing you will not like the quote.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts