Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

About 2 years ago I installed the TC UCA with the Donahoe coil over. My ride has been very stiff, but I didn't notice is much at first. As time has gone on and I've ridden in other cars/trucks the ride in my truck is very bad.

Now the ride is awful- the steering wheel is constantly wobbling back and forth and things are very loud at around 60mph.

Is it possible to put a different shock in this kit - for a smoother ride? I almost wish I didn't put the lift in, that's how bad it is.

Also, can someone with the total chaos UCA and Donahoe coil over tell me the distance between the top of the coilover and the spring setting? Last time I checked I had around 24 threads exposed but will need to measure to get the exact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you gotten a new tire or had it rebalanced? I read somewhere that some tacoma/tundra need a special adaptor called the "Haweka" to balanced the wheels. That might be the reason for the wobbling back and fourth and for you suspension have you tired adjusting the stiffness?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like the two issues are unrelated. My guess would be that the stiffer ride could be fixed with a spacer mounted on top of the coilover along with cranking down the coilover to a lower height. The more you crank DRs, the stiffer the ride. As far as shock choice, the DR (now known as Icon) are some of the best for the money. Sway Aways rust out after 18 months and King/Fox are not as cost effective. Camburg would be a good choice, but there's no compelling reason to switch if you've already got the Donahoes.

The wobbling steering wheel sounds like a wheel issue, not UC or shock related issues. The shocks/UC could have placed things out of alignment and slowly caused uneven tire wear, which may cause the shaking. Are these stock wheels/tires?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey man,

24 threads sounds like about 2 inches of preload. Yes like everyone is saying that is causing the stiffness you are experiencing in the front end. This is also more than likely what could cause the steering to wobble more than stock. In your case it sounds like your tires are really worn down and out of balance so they are howling and out. I Have owned a set of DR coilovers and Now SwayAways both on my 07 Tundra. I currently have the wheel pulling effect but I am having both these front SAW's and the rear 2.5 CO's custom valved and with new spring rates.

I have owned 2 sets of SAW's and have been very pleased. Although neither was really abused off road. When it comes down to things like this everyone always has there opinions. The Donahoes/Icon, SwayAways, Camburg(SwayAways with minor mod's), Kings. All Great coilovers. Slightly different in design, yet all stemmed from the same design. Kings are #1 in the off road racing world. DR's can be slapped on a close to stock tacoma and perform equal to some long travel setups.

Anyways I'm tired and its late and I don't really know what I'm talking about anyways : P

But Hey! Get those tires checked out and possibly your shocks need to be recharged. You would have to either send them in or find a shop that can do it. DR uses a different gas charging system.

Oh and if you get that shock and set it at minimum preload... That truck will ride beautiful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man,

24 threads sounds like about 2 inches of preload. Yes like everyone is saying that is causing the stiffness you are experiencing in the front end. This is also more than likely what could cause the steering to wobble more than stock. In your case it sounds like your tires are really worn down and out of balance so they are howling and out. I Have owned a set of DR coilovers and Now SwayAways both on my 07 Tundra. I currently have the wheel pulling effect but I am having both these front SAW's and the rear 2.5 CO's custom valved and with new spring rates.

I have owned 2 sets of SAW's and have been very pleased. Although neither was really abused off road. When it comes down to things like this everyone always has there opinions. The Donahoes/Icon, SwayAways, Camburg(SwayAways with minor mod's), Kings. All Great coilovers. Slightly different in design, yet all stemmed from the same design. Kings are #1 in the off road racing world. DR's can be slapped on a close to stock tacoma and perform equal to some long travel setups.

Anyways I'm tired and its late and I don't really know what I'm talking about anyways : P

But Hey! Get those tires checked out and possibly your shocks need to be recharged. You would have to either send them in or find a shop that can do it. DR uses a different gas charging system.

Oh and if you get that shock and set it at minimum preload... That truck will ride beautiful.
Wow thanks for the information! How do I set these to minimum preload? Do I need to call Donahoe and find the manual? From what you said - should I loosen them up by 2 inches?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the two issues are unrelated. My guess would be that the stiffer ride could be fixed with a spacer mounted on top of the coilover along with cranking down the coilover to a lower height. The more you crank DRs, the stiffer the ride. As far as shock choice, the DR (now known as Icon) are some of the best for the money. Sway Aways rust out after 18 months and King/Fox are not as cost effective. Camburg would be a good choice, but there's no compelling reason to switch if you've already got the Donahoes.

The wobbling steering wheel sounds like a wheel issue, not UC or shock related issues. The shocks/UC could have placed things out of alignment and slowly caused uneven tire wear, which may cause the shaking. Are these stock wheels/tires?
Hi thank you for the information. The wheels are stock 18" aluminum, but the tires are BFG AT something like 35x12~x18

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just measured the threads exposed on my coilover. Approx 28 threads on both side exposed, from top of exposed threads to bottom = 2.5". What do these come set at from the manufacturer? Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also - not sure if this matters - but on my right front wheel I have thirty one yes 31 1/4 oz weights that are glued on. Does this mean the tire is wayyy out of whack? The front left side has NO weights on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also - not sure if this matters - but on my right front wheel I have thirty one yes 31 1/4 oz weights that are glued on. Does this mean the tire is wayyy out of whack? The front left side has NO weights on it.
Did you just get the tires? That's a lot of weights. Did you go to a discount tire store? Get them re-balanced somewhere that will let you watch. You want a small number of weights...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts