Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'02 SR5 Extended Cab 4x4 4.7l has a bad vibration at Highway speeds. New tires properly balanced. It's a high frequency vibration felt thru the floorboard, dash, steering wheel.

Where do I start looking ? What are the Common wear items ? 230k miles. Automatic. CV joints seem O.K.... TIA !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx ! I did find out thru forum search the '02's came with factory built in drive train vibration.... I bought the truck because of the engine... I assumed that Toyota would build a trouble free truck... my bad... I'll check carrier bearing and driveshaft alignment & lube the splines and check the angles on both ends... I may keep the truck. I like the size and love the engine. I have an OBS Ford F350 7.3 CCLBDRW for heavy towing. I like being able to park in one spot instead of 4... :cool:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you end up replacing your carrier bearing I recommend pulling a string down the driveshaft so you can get the carrier bearing centered. Typically the rubber surround gets destroyed with time as the rubber ages out. It is also possible but rare if wheeling to knock off the driveshaft welded on balance weights. My 2000 4x4 drivetrain is super smooth but I did need to replace the carrier bearing around 120k and think it is probably about time for it to be replaced. Go with OEM, I have looked at the aftermarket and they are a POS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the info ! I will check the alignment and check for the weights. The truck spent much of it's life in Montana & North Dakota. Very little rust. However, she spent considerable time either off road or on dirt-clay roads. That stuff sticks like concrete ! I've also ordered all new front suspension pieces as the inner tie rods are worn. May as well replace them all and be done. Thx, again, for the carrier bearing driveshaft info !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts