Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else been getting really bad gas milage this winter. I'm in Boston and it is really not that cold this winter, but mile mpg is down around 14, 3-4 mpg lower than normal. I use a 0-20 grade synthetic oil, keep the tires to the proper psi, and have a clean k&n in the stock air box. I have about 26k and I know the plugs should be replaced at 30k. Can the plugs be the problem or is there something els that I am overlooking? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank,
Bart

·
Registered
32 Posts
Winter blend gas always costs me atleast 2mpg in every vehicle I've had.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Yep, in Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati area) It's an obvious switch over in gas blend when winter arrives and the gas mileage goes down... It also doesn't help idling the truck to warm it up, but it's added ethanol to help with water I believe. And alcohol requires more to produce the same energy.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Mine seemed low and I found the tire pressure was low. I believe adding a few pounds has helped one MPG or so. I expect some loss in MPG is due to driving on winter gas is and in 4WD through all the MD snow and using remote start.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't know how the hell you guys are getting 14. I'm getting 10-12 and my commute is 4.5 miles one way but it's all surface streets, stop signs and lights, maybe that's it too much stop n go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I do quick short trips around town I get a lot less. 14 is for an average. I have a 72 mile commute every day, about 1/3rd is in traffic, the rest is open highway.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Has anyone else been getting really bad gas milage this winter. I'm in Boston and it is really not that cold this winter, but mile mpg is down around 14, 3-4 mpg lower than normal. I use a 0-20 grade synthetic oil, keep the tires to the proper psi, and have a clean k&n in the stock air box. I have about 26k and I know the plugs should be replaced at 30k. Can the plugs be the problem or is there something els that I am overlooking? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thank,
Bart
Replacing plugs at 30K?! I'm not sure if you've got the same schedule as me, but most platinum-tipped spark plugs easily do 100K miles before replacement.
I too get bad mileage in winter... looks to be about 2mpg less on average. Still, that'll change soon, so don't worry too much about it...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Plugs at 30K is in the service manual

Toyota Parts and Service
Yes, but that does not apply to the 5.7 motor! Read note 5. :D
My mileage drops a little but not all that much. The average is reading 16.4 now and goes up to about 17.6 in the summer. Most of the loss is from defrosting time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Plugs at 30K is in the service manual, not sure if thats a part of the problem

Toyota Parts and Service
5) 1GR-FE engine. Maintenance services of spark plugs are required under the terms of the Emissions Control Warranty.

3UR-FE doesnt call for that. Its just the winter gas, mine is struggling to get 16MPG where usually I get 19-20.

edit: Dang, beaten to the punch

·
Registered
306 Posts
14 is my normal city traffic mileage... Luckily we don't get winter fuel down here. If anything my mileage goes up - no need to run the a/c.

Anyways, I think you have covered all the normal bases with what could be the root cause of the truck not running right... However, my .02 in things to look at:

Have you gotten it scanned? Maybe the oxygen sensors or someone else (MAF/MAP, etc..) is out of spec, but not enough to set a CEL light... Unfortunately, I do not know of an aftermarket code scanner that will allow you to look at the values the sensors are providing for Toyota - so a trip to the dealer may be in order. It sounds like you are still under your 3/36k so there shouldn't be a charge. (Always ask first)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2010 Tundra CrewMax Platinum Edition 5.7L FFV (proud of it) gets 18.5 MPG in CITY - YEP In City when I push it to get max MPG. I'm not using air, or granny driving it but, I'm no speeder either. Just enough pick up (slow) and constant speed for other drivers not to pass me. I'm really shocked at the MPG. On average city I've been getting around 15 MPG, and mornings when I have a heavy foot and want to feel the G's I get about 13.. I live in southern IL and its been pretty cold lately... All miles are driven in the rural city areas. I now have under 1500 total miles driven. All MPG are reported from the computer but it's surely reporting better MPG now with 1411 miles than it did when it was brand new. I can only hope things get better as the weather warns up and the motor is broken in... (hope this helps all)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I suppose I don't know what really bad is, but I think its nearly equivalent to my previous '05 Taco.

Today I filled up and pulled in a calculated 17MPG, based on the past three days of driving 20% city and 80% highway.

2008 5.7L Tundra Ltd
Stock size Nitto Terra Grappler tires.

I think I can get better mileage if I use higher octane and put more air in the tires..... didn't really bother to check them this time around.....

·
Registered
860 Posts
Donald-Bro,

"All miles are driven in the rural city areas" Me thinks you don't know what a city is. No such thing as a rural city area. If you don't have to stop every 500 feet or less, you're not doing any city driving.

·
Registered
860 Posts
In my 4.5 mile commute I go through 9 traffic lights, 7 stop signs and one u-turn (on my way home). This is one way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In Spokane WA, we have the same problem with "winter Blend" gasoline, which has more alcohol added. Alcohol has much less calories/gallon that real gasoline. So you burn a lot more of it. And since EPA measures the % of hydrocarbons (Not the actual AMOUNT of fuel going out the pipe) it gives them the FALSE idea that burning alcohol-added fuel helps keep the air cleaner. Just one reason EPA insists on 13 different automotive fuels for us, to help keep the price up there to the consumer. So I drive the extra 12 miles and buy my gasoline in IDAHO that has much less alcohol added. EPA = Waste in this circumstance, in my humble opinion.

Peacemakerpete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts