Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was up in the mountains last weekend and my friend and I decided to go find some trails to drive on. I have an 08 CrewMax TRD 4x2 and he has an 07 4x4 F150. Long story short we found a road under construction that was pretty rocky and muddy. Tundra handled it great then there was this huge clay mud pit (GA clay can get nasty). Well, before the clay pit, there was a little jump, and I decided to go for it, what the hey, right? Well I got some air and hit the pit hoping to drive out but nope. What happened was, when I landed my arm put the truck in neutral and I didn't realize it. I thought my tires were spinning but I just revving. When I put it back in drive it was too late, I could barely move. My friend had to tow me out :(.

Anyways, what upgrades can I do so that doesn't happen again (don't say 4x4. I regret I didn't get one sometimes). I'm assuming tires are the biggest change I can do, which I have already been researching. I do enjoy going off road every once in a while and want to get a bit more into mudding but keep it within my 4x2 limits. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

I have searched the forum (as well as other tundra forums) for 2wd off roading and such, but couldn't find much.

I also hate hearing from ppl at work that a ford pulled a toyota out of a pit...That is what annoys me the most!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Without pics, it didn't happen ;)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Better tires are huge. A winch would also be a wise investment, that way you can pull yourself out. I am fairly certain that there are decent aftermarket front bumpers for the Tundra with a winch mount.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
v. What happened was, when I landed my arm put the truck in neutral and I didn't realize it. I thought my tires were spinning but I just revving. When I put it back in drive it was too late, I could barely move. My friend had to tow me out :(.

Anyways, what upgrades can I do so that doesn't happen again !

Ummmm.......cut off the appendage that knocked your truck into neutral???

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if only this sort of thing would show up on carfax hahaha.

anyway, yeah you nimwit, u cant just do that sort of thing in a 2wd....i mean, who the heck takes a 2wd out and tries that? (besides me, truck was 2 weeks old and i got stuck bad hahaha oops.) :)

tires and a winch are your best bet. but no matter what you do, if its deep us 2wd guys are just gonna get stuck if theres enough stickinness to grab the front tires. u could try to go backwards :) and treat it like its a FWD truck and let the back end pull you through hahahah just kidding. dont.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anytime you are on 4wd grounds with a 2wd it can happen. I got stuck more than a few times with my old POS Dodge Ram 2wd and I vowed that I would never have another 2wd truck again. You can take a little bit of air out of the tires and fill them back up once you are done.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I think the problem was that you didn't get enough speed before the jump to clear the mud hole:D Most of the trucks that run the BAJA and other off road races are 2wd, but mud is not usually a problem there. Might also consider when wheeling turning the nannies off b/c you can't keep good wheel speed when they are on. And yes, tires will help, along with suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
548 Posts
keep jumping the tundra and you will have bigger issues than just needing a little tug to get out.
air down the tires, keep it locked into 2nd or 3rd to hold high constant rpms.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you get a winch, make sure you get a wench that is willing to get out and hook it up properly. You can't bet a good winch/wench combo !!!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
hahaha.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts