Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this forum post about my former Bakflip f1 tonneau cover because people tend to only talk about the bad things on the net that happen with car accessories rather than the good and usually I am one of those too. But I was wishing I had my tonneau cover back the other day and thought I would make this post, note I am not a troll and do not work for Bakflip.

About 2 years ago I had a 2007 Tundra double cab and after much research on covers (I know there are lots of good ones and I am not saying anyone else’s is bad and much comes down to preference) decided to get a Bakflip f1 even though there were some bad reviews (as with all on the internet) it seemed like a good company and I really wanted a flip style cover that could be flipped up all the way and liked the idea of just locking my tailgate and not having to have a separate key, plus I liked the look. Anyway for a year or so I used it as a most would with only a leak or two at the corner during car washes or the like which I expected, but that is not really the point of my story and why I was impressed with it.

You see my home was one of those homes completely destroyed by a direct hit of the EF5 tornadoes in North Alabama back last April 27 of 2011. It has been almost a year, a crazy year at that, like starting from scratch it seems one minute you have a house, 3 cars, a boat, and everything in-between and the next nothing but the shirt on you back, but the family was safe we have moved bought a new home, replace our cars (I got another Tundra as well this time a 2008 Crewmax) and most of our stuff. Plus a picture of my family and I coming out of our storm shelter in my detached garage went viral and resulted in more coverage and media response than I was expecting, and kind of making us limelight advocates for getting a storm room of some type even if you have to build one like the one I was in when the tornado hit, I highly recommend getting one.

There is one of the links to that pic below if interested. Photo 28. There is a lot more info out there about it including a cnn story if one is interested in google’in it.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/04/28/captured-tornados-rip-through-the-south/4419/

In the pic you can see the old Tundra I had with the Bakflip but that pic nor the rest I took really do it justice as seeing in person, the truck looked like it took little damage in the pics (really it held up well compared to my neighbors two trucks that got thrown into the side of my garage and storm room or other neighbors blown away completely) But it was totaled, it was pushed back about 18 feet from where it was parked before the storm (the front should have been about where I was standing before the storm), all the glass knocked out, the windshield crushed in, and the whole body looked like one took a sledge hammer and beat every square inch from the debris hitting it and the garage being knocked in on it. However the bakflip held up rather well compared to the rest of the truck and things involved.

I had the F1 Bakflip, the biggest damaged spot was where an eight inch block from the garage landed on its corner and went through the top layer but did not completely pierce through the cover as well as a few other damaged spots. I wish I had taken more pics of the truck but at the time it was not on the top of my list of things to worry about. The few things I had in the back of the truck made it and where completely dry also on the first night a few things of importance that I did not want looted and would not fit in the safe room or my father’s truck I actually but in the truck bed under the BakFlip and locked the tailgate to keep them safe until the next day (yeah sad I know).

I have tried to attach pics of the cover that I had after the storm not sure if they will post properly or not. Not sure if it was worth safeing after the storm because it did have some damage but was low on the list of priorities and the insurance took the truck before I had time anyway.

Anyway I was just putting stuff in my truck bed the other day and thought about my old cover, that is my 2 cents, I was impressed with how well the cover took an EF5 tornado and once I get all my finances straight (I have settled with insurance and they were fair but a lot of thing are still in limbo right now as to what I can and should replace) and I can afford and justify the purchase I plan on getting another for my replacement Tundra with the shorter CrewMax bed.

Anyway have a nice day.

bkflip3.jpg bkflip1.jpg bkflip2.jpg

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
You and your family have been to hell and back; good luck putting your lives back together!
May your new truck and tonneau cover serve you well in the future.
Jonesy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it has been a heck of a year. Just about got everything back in order and settled in. Got a similiar replacement Tundra with a Crewmax this time. No replacement bakflip yet like I said it may be something that has to wait, but I was wishing I had one the other day again and thought I would post this thread because I remembered taking pics of it right after the storm and being impressed by it.

·
Vendor
276 Posts
We're certainly sorry to hear all that you've been through and hope you're blessed in the times to come.

That is quite a review and we don't hear something like this every day. We'd love for you write a guest post on our blog or feature what you've already written on our blog. And...when it comes time to get your new cover, we will give you the best deal possible. Thank you very much for sharing.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Very glad you and yours made it through that! Related to that 'safe room' Did you build it yourself, or have it built? I have been considering putting something together in our basement. We are not in a tornado "hot spot" but they do happen around here. We had a pretty bad scare just a month ago. I have looked at the FEMA plans they have online as well as a few "DIY" websites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey “TonneauCoversWorld” I will leave a review on your blog what exactly is the address for the blog? You can PM me if need be. I went to your web page and saw they make a bakbox now that looks pretty awesome I will have to tell the wife that I need to add that to the wish list as well, ha.

Thanks “dmtalon” that stormroom was a home built one my father and I made it was 8inch concrete block filled with concrete and rebar and attached to the foundation via rebar, the roof was about 6 to 8 inch thick concrete with rebar going through it. I now have All Weather Saferoom in my current home from the guys of Saferooms of NW Florida that is s steel room with a much better door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow the owner of the company contacted me and they are going to send me a replacement cover.

"TonneauCoversWorld" I got you PM and will try and post my review soon. I may contact you in the near future about buying a bakbox to go with the cover.

So to all, my recommendation are to buy a Bak and get a stormshelter.

Until the Future

·
Vendor
276 Posts
Thanks in advance for the writeup - really looking forward to it.

We 2nd the recommendation of Bak tonneau covers. They're a great company to work with and they're always coming up with awesome new products.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"TonneauCoversWorld" I was not able to put the post directly on your blog but I have emailed it to the email that you send me. Note: the email has the pics as attachments so if you do not get it soon check your junk mail if you have spam filter.

·
Vendor
276 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts