Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we love my Bakflip G2, just one thing. I am trying to find the best solution of mounting /locking the bikes without losing the ability to lose the the use of the bed extender or the ability to lock up the bed using the BF. I though of mounting a front hitch receiver and doing a hitch bike rack in the front of the truck. And I also though doing a bike rack on the top of the cab. A cheap alternative is using bike mounts that install directly to the bed but then wont be able to lock up cargo in the back. I found this solution but I dont know if this would work with the design of the bakflip because of the rubberseals that run down the side of the cover. What do you do you think? doing some thing similar to what these chevy guys are doing??? For you Bakflip owners have you run into this problem?

Google Image Result for http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/rckcrwlr_bucket/Avalanche/YakimaBikeRackMod001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I'd call bakflip and ask them if you can mount to their cover. probably not. Access makes a cover with a low rack but that would mean a new everything.
I'd make something that goes in the stake pockets and spans the cover. you could then attach standard racks to it and then easily remove.
I don't like putting bikes on the roof on the tundra, too easy to forget going under low hanging things such as trees

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea, I may have to make this a project. I found out that bakrak does make a rack system that utilizes the stake pockets. A little on the pricey side. there are also permanent track systems I have found but that means drilling holes on the top of your cab. Here's a link for bakrak system. I my have to go with the stack pocket idea.

BAKRAK Pickup Truck Rack System

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could fab up something that replaces the bolts up front on the BakFlip that hold the cover in place, that would probably be the easiest and strongest place to mount something to a BakFlip, I have thought of that with mine for mounting two spot lights as I rarely open the cover all the way up. I am not sure how much space a bike rack would need as I don't even own a bike but just a thought.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my previous truck I had the backflip and wanted to carry bikes too. I ended up making a bike rack using two fork mount clamps that you can buy pretty much anywhere and mounting them onto 4" ABS pipe. On either end of the 4" pipe I used reducer fitting down to about 2" which allowed the whole caboodle to snug down into the stake grooves in the bed. Granted a 2x6 would work too but mine was black, weather proof and it certainly looked a lot harder to cut through and steal. I just locked the bikes to the bed directly. Cheap too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts