Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my third BakFlip tonneau cover. My first one, purchased in May, 2006, started showing cracks in January, 2007. I originally purchased the cover from Autoanything.com. I should have contacted the vendor, but I went directly to the factory for a warranty adjustment. I met with Ivan Maimin, the owner of the company. He pro-rated the warranty and I left with a new cover at a cost of $135.00. I was under the mistaken impression that the warranty was for 12 months, without any charges for replacement during that time period. In any event, the new cover was far superior to the original one. In August, 2007, the replacement cover, #2, literally fell apart. The panel end caps came off, and anything secured with adhesive came loose. This time I contacted Autoanything.com, and asked for their assistance in resolving the issue. About two months later I was notified that a G-2 BakFLip was being shipped to me at no charge. I was instructed to remove and send the old latches to Bak Industries, and then discard the defective cover. The new cover was installed and in June of this year I again noticed cracks in the panels. I use the truck only for my fishing trips, which is why I have only 16,000 miles on it since purchasing it new in February, 2006. I take about six trips annually, and all of it on paved roads. I have never taken it off road, nor abused the cover in any way. I recontacted Autoanything.com again and asked if there was anything that could be done, since I have had three tonneaus in three years, and I am tired of having disposable covers. The warranty had expired but I was hoping that something could be done as a goodwill gesture. I was informed that Bak Industries would not send me a new cover, but offered to upgrade me to a new BakFlip HD cover for the price of repairs to my G2 cover. I was directed to contact the factory directly. I did so, and after playing phone tag with Ivan for a week, I finally was able to speak to him. I explained my situation, and he offered me a BakFlip HD cover, starting at $700, but finally agreed to $400 out the door, installed.

I drove to the factory, which is located in an industrial area, but with no name on the building. I spoke to Ivan, and was told to drive my truck into the back of the factory. I also returned cover #2, since it had been gathering dust in my garage since I installed cover #3. Two employees removed cover #2 and cover #3 from the truck and then began installing a new BakFlip HD. The new cover used the existing rails, since Ivan gave me a credit for reusing the rails. The new cover looked great, until it was installed. The end panel was above the top of the tailgate, leaving a significant gap between the tailgate and the cover. The employee installing the cover said that it didn't fit, and suggested that I contact Ivan in the office. As I entered the office, Ivan and another man were walking in to the shop. I noticed that Ivan was showing this "potential customer" the advantages of the HD cover over the G2. The employee installing my new cover showed Ivan the problem and Ivan told him to get more weather stripping and place it under the panel to close the gap. The employee did so, but a large gap was evident on each side of the cover at the tailgate and side of the bed. I told Ivan that the tonneau cover did not fit, and the gap would allow water to enter the bed. Ivan began shouting at me, saying that he had done everything he could to please me, but I would never be satisfied. He couldn't understand how I had damaged three BakFlip covers, and was upset that I had not returned cover #2 to the factory, despite what I had been instructed by Autoanything. I told the employees to reinstall cover #3, since I would not be purchasing a cover that didn't fit. One of the employees said that the cover obviously did not fit, and that it was an engineering defect that should be corrected. As he was walking away, Ivan shouted that he has sold 2000 BakFlip HD's and never had any problems. I was able to speak to the potential customer that Ivan was talking to. The customer was seeking a warranty adjustment on his BakFlip G2, which had cracked after 5 months. I hope he saw the exchange between Ivan and me, and decided to save his money.

As I was leaving, the two employees that assisted me said that the HD cover did not fit my truck correctly and apologized to me for the behavior of Ivan. Needless to say, I will never buy another BakFlip, or any other Bak product. Three tonneau covers in three years is too much. By the way, the warranty starts the day of the first cover purchase. Although cover #3 dates from August, 2007, according to Ivan, the warranty period began when I purchased the first cover in May, 2006. I have never seen the terms of the warranty, since it was not included with the first purchase. I am now in the market for a new cover, hopefully one that will last a few years. I have nothing but praise for Autoanything.com, and specifically Roy McCord in customer service. The two Bak Industries employees were extremely helpful, and I appreciate everything they did. Unfortunately, BakFlip did not work for me, and the customer service left something to be desired. After my experience today, I can understand why the factory building doesn't have the company name on the exterior. Please excuse the long post.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
that just plain SUX

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, that is not cool.

I ordered a G2 Bakflip cover for my 2007 Crewmax about 2 weeks ago based on the reviews I had read. When the cover arrived I noticed it said 5'8" on the box, my bed is 5'6". I started installing the cover and the rails were about 2 inches too long and the tailgate would not close? I immediately called Autoanything and after chcking to make sure the part numbers were correct, referred me to Bakflip customer service. The guy told me to cut off the ends of the rails. I asked him "What if I cut the rails and the cover is too long?" He said they would make it right. I went ahead and installed the rails without cutting them and put the cover on. Pushed the tailgate up as far as it would go and the cover was at th rear edge. The cover was about 2 inches too long as well. Boy was I glad I didn't cut the rails! Called Bakflip and was told the wrong parts were put in the box and to pack it up, they would issue a call tag to have it picked up and they would call Autoanything to inform them. When I didn't hear anything I called Autoanything. They had not been contacted by Bakflip. While I was on hold Autoanything called Bakflip and told me it would be picked up and when they had confirmation I would be sent a new one. I still had some concerns so I asked for the name of the rep from Bakflip. I called and he assured me the wrong parts had been put in the box (apparently this is not the first time), and he would ship one immediately so I did not have to wait. The new cover came yesterday and it said 5'8" on the box. I was concerened but opened it up and the rails were the correct length. Went ahead with the install and everything fit great. I was feeling pretty good until I read your post. Only time will tell if the cover will hold up. I've got my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
During my initial phone conversation with BAK Industries regarding substituting an HD for my G2 with cracked panels, Ivan, the owner, explained that the plastic manufacturers had changed the composition due to escalating oil prices. Ivan said that he had 1,000,000 (that's one million) pounds of plastic, made within the last six months, that was defective, and was the cause of the panels cracking whenever the tonneau cover was subjected to direct sunlight and high temperatures. For that reason, they were no longer producing G2 covers, but had shifted production to the HD model, since the HD panels are all aluminum. Hopefully the current G2 covers were produced prior to the delivery of the defective plastic, which is claimed to be ABS. I must have received an early batch of altered formula ABS, however, since my first cover, produced in May, 2006, cracked in January, 2007. When I initially toured the BakFlip factory in May, 2006, prior to purchasing my first BakFlip, I was told that the panel material was Lexan polycarbonate, and was impervious to sunlight, heat and was impact resistant.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
When I first got my truck, I was looking at a tonneau and considered them. Someone locally was selling theirs and I saw it ripping. They said it was under warrenty and I could get a new one free. glad I ran from that deal

·
Registered
306 Posts
Knock on wood, mine hasn't cracked and it has been on the truck out in the Sun for the past 8 months. Only thing I don't like is that I can't stop water from leaking in.

The place I bought it from siad they would water test and adjust it to prevent water from puring in, I just haven't been able to waste a day to do it. (Time is still money, even if the repair is "free")

The bad part about this post is that you had a really bad expereince and very poor customer service with the OWNER of the company...

·
Registered
25 Posts
same experience here. cracked and leaking water after 18 months of ownership. it went in the garbage and will never buy a bakflip product...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess I got one of the good ones. Put one my Tacoma in April of 08 and haven't had any problems except that it does leak around the edges near the tailgate. Sorry to hear about your problems.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I've had mine since last winter and it was great at first. I only purchased mine because of the reviews and the price. Now nearly a year into it there is a leak in the corner of the bed closest to the cab on the drivers side, all the panels have started to bow or sag down which in turn holds a lot of water and does not help with the sagging and lastly I recently noticed the cable and latch assembly metal work is coming unglued and the rivets they used are also starting to pull out. Eventually they are going to fall off and not latch any more. After reading the OP's post I am not too confident they will stand behind their product. I going to have to nut up and call them and see what they can do. I may call Stylin trucks first to get them in the loop for further help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I almost bought a Bakflip based on some good reviews and youtube - but thanks to this forum, I spend a bit more and got a Extang Solid Fold, after 2 years, still no problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am on my third BakFlip tonneau cover. My first one, purchased in May, 2006, started showing cracks in January, 2007. I originally purchased the cover from Autoanything.com. I should have contacted the vendor, but I went directly to the factory for a warranty adjustment. I met with Ivan Maimin, the owner of the company. He pro-rated the warranty and I left with a new cover at a cost of $135.00. I was under the mistaken impression that the warranty was for 12 months, without any charges for replacement during that time period. In any event, the new cover was far superior to the original one. In August, 2007, the replacement cover, #2, literally fell apart. The panel end caps came off, and anything secured with adhesive came loose. This time I contacted Autoanything.com, and asked for their assistance in resolving the issue. About two months later I was notified that a G-2 BakFLip was being shipped to me at no charge. I was instructed to remove and send the old latches to Bak Industries, and then discard the defective cover. The new cover was installed and in June of this year I again noticed cracks in the panels. I use the truck only for my fishing trips, which is why I have only 16,000 miles on it since purchasing it new in February, 2006. I take about six trips annually, and all of it on paved roads. I have never taken it off road, nor abused the cover in any way. I recontacted Autoanything.com again and asked if there was anything that could be done, since I have had three tonneaus in three years, and I am tired of having disposable covers. The warranty had expired but I was hoping that something could be done as a goodwill gesture. I was informed that Bak Industries would not send me a new cover, but offered to upgrade me to a new BakFlip HD cover for the price of repairs to my G2 cover. I was directed to contact the factory directly. I did so, and after playing phone tag with Ivan for a week, I finally was able to speak to him. I explained my situation, and he offered me a BakFlip HD cover, starting at $700, but finally agreed to $400 out the door, installed.

I drove to the factory, which is located in an industrial area, but with no name on the building. I spoke to Ivan, and was told to drive my truck into the back of the factory. I also returned cover #2, since it had been gathering dust in my garage since I installed cover #3. Two employees removed cover #2 and cover #3 from the truck and then began installing a new BakFlip HD. The new cover used the existing rails, since Ivan gave me a credit for reusing the rails. The new cover looked great, until it was installed. The end panel was above the top of the tailgate, leaving a significant gap between the tailgate and the cover. The employee installing the cover said that it didn't fit, and suggested that I contact Ivan in the office. As I entered the office, Ivan and another man were walking in to the shop. I noticed that Ivan was showing this "potential customer" the advantages of the HD cover over the G2. The employee installing my new cover showed Ivan the problem and Ivan told him to get more weather stripping and place it under the panel to close the gap. The employee did so, but a large gap was evident on each side of the cover at the tailgate and side of the bed. I told Ivan that the tonneau cover did not fit, and the gap would allow water to enter the bed. Ivan began shouting at me, saying that he had done everything he could to please me, but I would never be satisfied. He couldn't understand how I had damaged three BakFlip covers, and was upset that I had not returned cover #2 to the factory, despite what I had been instructed by Autoanything. I told the employees to reinstall cover #3, since I would not be purchasing a cover that didn't fit. One of the employees said that the cover obviously did not fit, and that it was an engineering defect that should be corrected. As he was walking away, Ivan shouted that he has sold 2000 BakFlip HD's and never had any problems. I was able to speak to the potential customer that Ivan was talking to. The customer was seeking a warranty adjustment on his BakFlip G2, which had cracked after 5 months. I hope he saw the exchange between Ivan and me, and decided to save his money.

As I was leaving, the two employees that assisted me said that the HD cover did not fit my truck correctly and apologized to me for the behavior of Ivan. Needless to say, I will never buy another BakFlip, or any other Bak product. Three tonneau covers in three years is too much. By the way, the warranty starts the day of the first cover purchase. Although cover #3 dates from August, 2007, according to Ivan, the warranty period began when I purchased the first cover in May, 2006. I have never seen the terms of the warranty, since it was not included with the first purchase. I am now in the market for a new cover, hopefully one that will last a few years. I have nothing but praise for Autoanything.com, and specifically Roy McCord in customer service. The two Bak Industries employees were extremely helpful, and I appreciate everything they did. Unfortunately, BakFlip did not work for me, and the customer service left something to be desired. After my experience today, I can understand why the factory building doesn't have the company name on the exterior. Please excuse the long post.
Dear Gregory,

Thank you for your post. Despite being horified by what you've just posted, I'd very much like to toss my two cents into the hat in an effort to assist you. Whether you'd like to capitalize on my offer, would of course be up to you.

For one, regardless of your situation, Ivan should never have conducted himself in this manner. It takes less effort in my opinion to assist someone kindly and professionally. Whether he was caught in a bad moment or not has little to do with treating someone with respect, especially a customer.

As the owner and CEO of BAK Industries, I can only apologize for his behavior and lend my assurance that I will deal with him in my own way.

In terms of being proactive, I would very much liked to have been present when you were here. I am sure you'll concur, that despite us not yet having the name of our company on the building (since we're not retailers and have only recently expanded to this location), that we do have a state of the art facility, with a willing staff of 140 people that would really and truly like to assist you.

I am therefore proposing that you take the time to come and visit with me personally at the BAK facility. If need be I will create a brand new cover for you from the ground up that will more than meet your expectations. Needless to say you will not be charged a penny and I will xcertainly pay for the gas it takes for you to get here as well.

At this point it might seem like little consellation, however I am willing to make amends for the apparent way you were treated and feel the necessity to take the high road in order to satisfy your needs for a fantastic tonneau cover.

Please fell free to call my assistant Jesse and he will put you directly through to me. If I'm not here, I will ask him to give you my cell number.

Kindest regards,

Julian Maimin
CEO
BAK Industries
www.bakliner.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Julian,

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me yesterday. As I said during our phone conversation, I will make an appointment and drive down from Bakersfield next week for a replacement cover. I am cautiously optimistic that the new cover will be a significant improvement over my past covers. I say "cautiously optimistic" based on my experiences with the three preceding covers. Regardless of the cover quality, I sincerely appreciate the interest that you are demonstrating in attempting to resolve this matter satisfactorily. I dealt with Ivan twice in the past because the business card that I picked up when I visited your North Hollywood factory in 2006 indicated he was the company president. Rest assured that I will deal with you exclusively from this point on. I look forward to personally meeting you next week, and hopefully will have a positive experience to chronicle on this forum after I have had the use of the tonneau for a reasonable period of time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's more than anyone can ask for. Consumer feedback will only serve to make us a better company and help us to continuously improve upon what we have. I am really looking forward to meeting with you and to ensuring that you have a positive experience. I'm also pretty confident that you'll be very impressed with the tonneau we put on for you.

All the best,

Julian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I went to Bak Industries for my replacement tonneau cover. I had made an appointment to meet with Julian to resolve my tonneau cover issues. I waited only a couple of minutes before Julian met me in the lobby. He instructed me to drive my Tundra into the back of the factory, where he directed a couple of employees to remove the existing tonneau cover from the truck and to install an HD tonneau cover. A new HD, in the box, was brought out and subsequently installed. During the installation process, Julian demonstrated the changes made to the HD cover from the G2, or probably a G1.5, which I had received in 2007, my third Bakflip cover since May, 2006. He also took me on a tour of the manufacturing facility and showed the raw materials that are used.

The new HD is a significant improvement over the HD that I attempted to purchase last year. That cover did not fit the tailgate, leaving large gaps on either side of the cover. The one installed today has no exposed gaps on the sides of the tailgate. The sides of the mounting rails have a flexible rubber lip extending over the side as well, and appear to be better quality materials. The previous side rails had a length of weather stripping that formed a seal between the actual cover and rail. The weather stripping became abraded almost instantly, requiring frequent replacement. The new side rails have a piece of rubber mounted in a tongue and groove, resulting in an improved sealing surface.

I have the following comments regarding my most recent experience with Bak Industries:

Customer service is greatly improved since dealing with Julian. He took the time to meet with me and personally oversaw the installation of the new HD cover. I would recommend contacting Julian regarding any problems with a Bakflip.

The new cover seems vastly improved over the prior models. The only similarities between the G1, G1.5, or maybe the G2 with the plastic panels, and the new HD is that all covers have four folding panels, are black and have a Bakflip sticker. The new HD seems to have addressed the issues that I had on my prior covers. Two of my three Bakflip covers had cracks on the plastic (ABS) panels, and one completely fell apart when the adhesive holding the rubber to the panels failed and the rivets pulled through the panels. The new HD has aluminum panels, which should never crack. The new HD also uses tongue and grooves to retain the rubber, without the need for adhesive. There are a minimal number of rivets used on the new cover, and probably shouldn't pull through the aluminum panels.

It is unfortunate that the first generation of Bakflip tonneau covers were not of this apparent quality. As I said in an earlier post, I was cautiously optimistic about the HD cover. I am now more confident that I will be satisfied with this new cover. I do, however, reserve final comments, which I will post here, until I have been able to subject the HD to the rigors of normal use, including the summer sun in Bakersfield and the winter snow in Mammoth Lakes.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How is the cover holding up so far?
Since I replaced mine with the HD unit I have been much happier with the unit, so if you are considering this unit be sure to get the HD version. Its done real well through this winter and I got to say for us on the east cost we got hammered pretty good with some large snow falls, and the cover held up that heavy wet snow without issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a dilemma on my hands now. I too thought long and had on which cover to buy, and read the reviews both good and bad for the Bak Flip, but liked the idea that the president of the company would speak up on some posts and try to make things right. I also liked that they tried to fix anything they found wrong in their earlier generation covers, and since it suited my particular needs the best I made the purchase. Well, wanted completely waterproof from the start, and I kept meaning to look at it more and see if I could tweak the install a little and remedy it, but it kept getting worse and worse. I finally contacted the company seeing what I should do about it and was told in an email from Jesse that I could only speak to Ivan between 11-2 PT. Well, this was really hard to do, not only because it was hard to remember during the day when on a job site to try him again, and because he never answered and never returned phone calls. I spent a year of trying by which time the cover is really starting to fail, coming apart in several corners and water is pouring in between the cover and the rail in several places, my tools are really starting to take a beating, I find myself planning my life and jobs around the weather so I won't have to leave tools in the truck....(the reason I wanted a good versatile cover in the first place). Finally I get someone to answer the phone and he gives me Juilan's direct email and says he is on a plane and when he lands he'll answer his emails. A couple days later I get an email from a woman who proves to be very pleasant and sounds like she is trying to be helpful (Lauren) and eventually we get to the point where she offers to send me a HD cover for about $400, and I actually get her to offer the newer F1 for the same price.

Now. I am not thinking they need to send me a free one, and I thought paying the original difference of a couple hundred that the HD was over the G2 was appropriate and that was my first offer and hope, but I am really torn on whether to cut my losses and move on or make the deal. I would hate to be caught in the old addage of 'Ripe me off twice then shame on me".

Do I bite the bullet and scrap it all and get a ARE hard cover? I love the way the Bak Flip works functions, but if it can't stay together and keep my tolls dry then the point is mute. I am a little person so I can't get something that locks on the top as I can't reach it, which rules out the Undercover and some of the other flips.

I think the BakFlip works for people with trucks more for show and open it a few times on the weekend, but it just doesn't seem to hold up to being opened several times a day.

Anxious to hear peoples opinions.

Dan

Annapolis, MD

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
For someone working in their truck all day, I would think a contractor cap would be the way to go. Way more storage, a lot dryer, and durable.
A lot of contractors are also going with the cargo trailer. That way your truck stays clean and you are not hauling all that stuff on you nights out on the town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks...good thinking SE2000l but as a little person I really can't reach the compartments on the contractors caps, and getting a ladder to use them makes it a pain anyway....plus I still have some vanity and want my ride to look halfway decent. I would use a trailer and maybe I will some day but right now I live in a neighborhood I am not allowed to park it in so I would have to pay to leave it at a storage unit and go back and forth to it morning and night and that feels like a real pain. I basically load tools and things in an out of my garage, but I really need something with some good protection from both the elements and the dishonest.

Thanks again to all. I guess in the back of my mind I know the answer but just need to belly up the dough. This is why I usually by the best of things first and cry once over the money I spent and never worry about it again....I thought I was buying something decent though I suppose and perfect for what I needed....it certainly wasn't cheap by any means, but should have gone full tilt....I just thought a hard cover wouldn't have as good function for me....better to make 2 trips to the dump or whatever in hindsight now though than to have the advantage of fully open easily and not waterproof.

Dan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts