Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part, everything about my Tundra is perfect. The truck suits our family better than an SUV, but I really needed the bed to stay dry. After searching and searching, I finally was told about the BakFlip HD. The retailer told me that it would keep my things protected from the elements, which was the most important thing to me because we get a lot of rain and snow here.

Almost immediately I found my cover to leak (at the corner near the tailgate and at the hinges). The retailer told me my expectations were too high and that a little leaking was to be expected. But so much water had leaked that the stroller was soaked. It literally had a stream of water pour off it when I stood it up. It wasn't a minor leak and my expectations weren't too high. I sent them pictures to show them how bad it was.

So (almost 6 weeks later) they tried to ship me a replacement, but they sent me a unit designed to fit a long-bed Ford rather than my Tundra. Then they sent another unit, but it rolled up instead of flipping like my cover. They immediately called those back but I was still stuck with my leaky cover. They asked me to use household silicone to seal it up, didn't trust that we had installed it correctly, and genuinely complained that this was our fault. I shouldn't have to modify my truck to make their cover work properly (but I did for them because they wouldn't help me if I didn't). The cororate people were so much ruder than my retailer but even the retailer kept telling me that my expectations were too high.
I just got the actual replacement 1 month ago ... almost 6 months after I had first reported the problems to BakFlip and it leaks more than the first cover. Worse yet, it has metal shavings that keep coming out of the hinge. Its awful. Quality. Workmanship. Its awful.

And they have told me they won't recall this unit because they have lost money sending me other replacement covers that didn't even fit my truck. Every time it rains I have to run out and move the stroller from the bed of the truck inside next to the car seat. They not only took my money, but they took the ability for me to use my truck as they promised I could from me. I paid almost $850 from Auto Anything and I can't afford to go get another brand. They won't even let me pay for shipping because they lost money on shipping other units out to me (both ways, they reinforce). I feel like they a bunch of crooks.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
The SQUEAKY wheel gets the grease! Ill bet they are hoping that you will just go away! There are options...trust me!

Reactions: RitcheyRch

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Send a Private Message to member 123gone. He does installs and maybe has some suggestions.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well, it is hard to expect a tonneau cover to be 100 percent completely dry under there...especially the non over the rail styles....the tailgate will always leak unless you put weatherstripping around it as well. that said, i have an armorlid that goes over the rails, and i installed weather stripping to seal most of the tailgate gaps and i havent had any water leak into mine, might get a drip in a high pressure carwash but no rain water.

good luck, just don't have too high of expectations from something like a backflip.....

·
Registered
820 Posts
I got a Pace Edwards Bedlocker and it stated on their website that NO cover is 100% weather tight. I only get water in at the corners of the tailgate. I can buy this tailgate kit that seals it, but it is not that bad. I see quite a bit of rain here in Orlando, FL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to check in to other options. I really need to be able to use the bed of my truck more reliably. I really appreciate that you guys are full of help. I'll PM the guy listed above ... I would really like to just fix it and be on my way but I feel like I've tried everything so far.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I suggest you call BAK yourself. You might get a new replacement cover from them directly. They will probably send you a F1 (if they send you one at all) which is a good thing because it's a better model.

BAK products do not have a reputation for quality. They only one I might sell is an F1 for a Ford. I think BAK spent more time with the design to get Ford OEM approval. Other than that, I would try to talk you out of a BAK product.

I think the Bakflip looks great on a truck. But, I think the seals are thin and flimsly and some portions look unfinished.

Other folding rigid folding covers on the market include the Extang Solid Fold, FoldACover, and Advance Cover. The Solid Fold's seals are not very beefy and you may have a problem with it sealing on your tailgate. I do like the Solid Fold and we have sold many of them. The FoldACover and Advance Cover are very similiar (the owners are cousins!). The Advance Cover install is easier than the FoldACover's install but I like the lock on the FoldACover better than the Advance Cover's lock.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If soft roll-up covers are an option, I would highly recommend either the Truxedo Lo Pro QT or the Truxedo TonneauTrax. I have the Ttrax and it's basically the Lo Pro with an integrated tie-down rail system. It has yet to leak on me. I've seen a couple drops in the bed after going through the car wash, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to check in to other options. I really need to be able to use the bed of my truck more reliably. I really appreciate that you guys are full of help. I'll PM the guy listed above ... I would really like to just fix it and be on my way but I feel like I've tried everything so far.
You could also try some simple foam weatherstripping around the edge. Inexpensive enough to give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
For the meantime, just buy a cheap tarp to cover your things in the bed to prevent them from getting wet.:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had one of the original BakFlip covers that was a piece of crap. I requested my money back even though they offered to send me a new one. I had to pay shipping myself to get my refund but it was worth it. :angrywife:

After more research I went with Undercover. It has been great and it is very easy to remove. Takes seconds. :tu:

I could send emails to BakFlip themselves as I did. They may let you send it back to them for a refund like I did.

Good Luck

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a bakflip... Not the happiest with it either - and won't get it again. Not as PO'd about it as you are though. I don't think you have highe xpectations either. I didn't want to lose 18" of bed length to a rolltop type cover, otherwise I would have stuck with my roll-n-lock. I leak from the front of the bed on the driver's side and while the bedliner channels the water out the back it is still leaking WAY WAY more than my roll-n-lock. BTW, my tailgate area doesn't leak... Or at least not enough to notice it over the other leak.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles - I've got a Truxedo LoPro QT... just a roll-up vinyl cover that secures with velcro. I was expecting some leaks, but I haven't had a single leak yet in over 6 months... needless to say, I've been impressed.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your trouble. Sometimes you just get unlucky and I'd say it doesn't sound like any of your problems are you fault.

....I've got a Truxedo LoPro QT... just a roll-up vinyl cover that secures with velcro. I was expecting some leaks, but I haven't had a single leak yet in over 6 months... needless to say, I've been impressed.
x2

I bought a used Truxedo Truxport off Criaglist for $100 a few months ago and it hasn't leaked at all as far I can tell. It's obviously not a hard cover but it has worked very well for me so far.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The owner of Bakflip used to be on Tundra Solutions, maybe he still is?
Juliam M is the owner of Bak Industries [email protected]. Send him an email as he has promised to make it right if contacted directly.

I hope he is.. when i posted my review of the product, he came on and promised to send me seals to reduce the leaking.. sent him my info and reminders.. nothing to this date.
Here is my review: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...rs/180545-bakflip-g2-new-aluminum-version-my/
Overall, I agree that no one unit will keep it dry but it can be reduced significantly. For any manufacturer:
STOP USING CHEAP MATERIALS
IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF YOUR PRODUCTS
TEST THEM BEFORE YOUR SHIP EM OUT - Cant believe how many times I have read BAK or others exchange products here.. or make recommendations to buy their HD Version.. how about preventing those frustrations in the first place..........
Works okay for me overall and leaks only in the corners but I can fix that....... (still waiting on the seals though!) :beach:

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I am waiting for mine to fall apart so I can get a better cover. Mine has leaked in the corner near the cab on the drivers side since day 1. After about 9 months the panels all warped so they now collect water. 10 months and the rivets are falling out at the joints and creating more leaks in the middle of the panels at the hinges. Now a year and a half later most of the panel rivets are gone and the only thing keeping it together are the seals. Hopefully when the final explosion happens I'm not on the freeway. $600 for a temperary cover with little factory support is not the way to do business. Idealy this is a great cover for those that need to be in and out of the bed with large or small items but its not good that they are failing to fix or stand behind their product. I will probably replace this one with an undercover or something and deal with the inconvenience of removing it for taller stuff but not have to worry about water pouring in on my stuff when I wash it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts