Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got theirs fixed yet?

I got my notice and contacted a dealership and they said they couldn't determine if mine was recalled or not, because the computer didin't show anything when they put in my VIN.

I called another dealership and they assured me they had the parts in stock and told me to bring it in this morning. I took it in and dropped it off. (40 mile round trip) Just as I got back home, they called and said they didn't have the ball joints. They were on backorder and didn't know when they would be in.

I went back and asked for my recall notice back. They said "Sorry, someone must have thrown it in the trash".

Then I came back home and called Toyota Customer Service and they said they will call me back within 3 days and let me know where I can get it fixed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^ What years? Your profile shows an 2003. This is the 2005 + forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. Never noticed that. Maybe that's why I haven't seen much talk about the older Tacomas. I guess I better move then. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 2003 Prerunner Dcab and mine had an open recall on the ball joints.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I got a call this evening from a Toyota dealer and the guy said he would put me on his list. Ball joints are backordered.

Problem is, my front tires were wearing pretty bad on the inside. I was going to get an alignment, but then got the recall notice. It wouldn't make sense to try to have it aligned now and it looks like the tires will be worn out before I can get the ball joints replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner/TRD 2wd extra cab with 56k miles. I know that this vehicle falls under the 1st ball joint recall, but how can I find out if they were already replaced? Is there a list of VINs on some website that document if the ball joints were replaced or not?

·
Registered
189 Posts
You should be able to contact any Toyota dealer and give them your VIN and they should be able to tell you if it still has an open recall on your truck. I would call more than one dealer if they say it has been done already to make sure they are not lying because they are not going to jump at the chance to do recall work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. I have 2 tire that have extremly worn outside edges and 2 tires that are partially worn. I brought this to the attention of my dealership and the Region Manager did not agree to replace my tires or even paritally pay for replacement.

The tires permaturely wore on the outside edges because of the worn ball joints. My dealership agrees 100% with me but has yet to man up. Now I am looking at having to buy new tires about 2 years early.

Anyone have any luck getting tires from Toyota because of the ball joint recall?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner/TRD 2wd extra cab with 56k miles. I know that this vehicle falls under the 1st ball joint recall, but how can I find out if they were already replaced? Is there a list of VINs on some website that document if the ball joints were replaced or not?
Phone 1-800-331-4331. Which is Toyota's Customer Service Center in California. I called them this morning with my VIN # and found out my vehicle, an '04 Taco 4x4 DC, which I have owned for exactly one year, is on the recall list. It has not had the ball-joint replacement done as of yet. They faxed me the re-call letter and are mailing me the original as well.

Carol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got mine done yesterday. I had to call Toyota Customer Care twice and raise hell to get it done though. The ball joints were not available at the dealers, but after the second call and telling them my tires were wearing out, they managed to get some to the dealer within a couple of days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts