Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called to schedule the work for my balljoint recall on my 05 Tundra. The dealership is telling my that the parts are backordered nationwide and they won't get the parts until next month. They said that even then they have a list for people to get them done as the parts come in and I am at the bottom of the list.

Is this BS or true?

I have had mixed experiences with this dealership so I thought I would try here before calling aroud.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just dropped mine off without an opointment & no recall notice about 3 weeks ago, no prob at all....I call bs

·
Registered
158 Posts
I took my tundra in about 2 weeks ago on Monday morning and they were done that afternoon. I also didn't get the recall letter. I call BS.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Took 3 wks to get my backordered parts and they put them in in one morning- I think they are telling the truth. I have had nothing but good experiences with my service department.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Took mine in a couple of weeks ago on a non-related issue, service advisor called to tell me truck was ready and then asked do you want the bj recall done since it was there.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I suppose it depends on where you are. Here in Jax there are a ton of toyotas and my parts are on backorder. Maybe they can figure out why the serpentine belt is squeeling while they've got it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I absolutly can say nothing bad about my service department. I have set up the recall with them and they have ordered the parts.I would have to believe them if they said they were back order.I just have not had the chance to call to see if they came in.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I got mine done back in Feb. I had to wait 3 days to get the parts. Try calling another dealer in your area to corroborate the back order story.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you've followed many LBJ threads here and/or talked to multiple dealers, backordered status seems very common and therefore probably valid in most cases claimed. However, it also seems that in many cases--including mine--the ball joint kit can often be ordered for a specific customer and obtained within a few days to a week or so. If the dealership is telling you much longer than that, I'd say they're including time needed to receive the parts and service those individuals already in line ahead of you, which may vary from one dealership to another. IMO, those who found dealerships with parts ready and waiting on the shelf were just plain lucky.

I also think it would be interesting to track the TSB's "affected number of Tundras by state" against the backorder/availability of parts for dealerships in each state. Could it be that Fewer Tundras = Fewer Backorders?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I called in about the recall asking if my VIN was in the list, it was. I dropped it off the next day, picked it up on my lunch break a few hours later. The service tech said they went ahead and did "both" recalls, to which I said "...ok."
I wasn't aware a second recall, other than the babyseat anchor, to which I declined.
I looked at the service description:
1. LBJ replacement...
2. Affix a decal/sticker... <--- wtf? another decal to remove later:rolleyes:
3. Battery check, replace battery.

To answer your question... Call 2-3 more dealers and ask them if they have the parts. Maybe your dealer can do some kind of swapping and get your LBJ fixed. If you complain enough about safety and such, I bet you get bumped up in line.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got mine done without the recall notice in about 3 hours with the alignment. They had the parts on hand ready to go. Don't forget about the alignment. They should do this as part of the recall.:devil:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will be taking my 2006 Tundra in soon for the lower ball joint recall, as soon as I can start driving again after just having my Hip Joint replaced.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will be taking my 2006 Tundra in soon for the lower ball joint recall, as soon as I can start driving again after just having my Hip Joint replaced.:)
You should get a two for one discount.

Here's a photo of the new lower ball joint installed in my Tundra:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I depends on where you are. My dealership was out but they put me on the list, when parts came in they did the job in a morning. My brother-in-law is my technician so I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth about backorder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dealer just happened to call me this afternoon asking me when I could bring my truck in for the recall. I haven't gotten a recall notice in the mail yet either. I'm taking mine in on Monday morning to have them replaced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts