Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my truck in for the replacement tomorrow. Kinda nervous cause the truck drives great right now. I'm worried that the replacement will screw something up. I need positive comments on how the truck drove the same or better if there out there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think mine drives better. It seems to track a little better and it seems to turn somewhat softer. At first I thought it was all in my head but the wife took it to church last night and she ask what I did to the truck when she got home. She said it wasn't as hard to drive and she didn't even know it had been in for the recall.
I don't know but maybe my balls were all bound up :devil:

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
The recall went smoothly. It took an hour 45 minutes including tire rotation. It drove well before, so I was concerned about fixing something that wasn't broke. It steers with less effort now. I'm happy. Now, take 2 Ibuprofen, try to get some sleep, and report back after the operation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine goes in tomorrow for a BJ....I mean BJ's. So far, the dealer here in MA has been perfect so I'm expecting the truck to come out better than it went in.

Oh, when I call the dealer from my cell phone, they answer "Hi Dan, what can we do for you today". Their phone system/caller ID must be interfaced with their customer service computers. I got a kick out of that.

Plus they have leather couches, Plasma TV, a deli with COFFEE, and free Wi-FI.

Any Chevy dealers around like that??? LOL......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had my ball joint replacement done yesterday. It took the dealer about four hours to complete. I honesty cannot tell any differance driving after the warranty replacement. I would not worry about it, unless you think the dealer mechanic is incompetant.:)

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Got my oil/filter change this Monday, they ran my VIN and said mine is included in the ball joint campain, then said they would take about 4 weeks to get.

And something about a campain for a sticker on the steering - not sure what that is...

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
The steering is smoother and makes for a more comfortable ride. The service center here took 35mins to repair mines. So don't worry your truck will be fine. Nothing to lose sleep over

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I can see a good tech doing the ball joints in 30-45 min. But don't think ball joints + alignment could be that quick.

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Someone in one of these BJ threads said that once a good tech has the parts in hand, and the truck on the hoist, the replacement takes about 20 minutes. Simple was the way he described it. Here it is: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/89838-ball-joint-recall-help/#post600612
I watched them being done on my '00 a couple of weeks ago at 50K mi.
it took 10-15 minutes tops for each side. So simple I could have done myself (in about an hour a side;)). The alignment took longer than the parts replacement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I watched them being done on my '00 a couple of weeks ago at 50K mi.
it took 10-15 minutes tops for each side. So simple I could have done myself (in about an hour a side;)). The alignment took longer than the parts replacement.

I have a 2000 and I don't think my ball joints have been replaced. They don't look like they are in bad shape but I am about to put a 2.5" lift on. Will they still replace them for me even though my truck is a 2000 and should I do it before I get the lift?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I notice several of you have commented on the improved steering after the replacement. That's probably just the alignment...you'd be awful surprised at the difference a tenth of a degree can make in handling.

If nothing was wrong with it, nothing will change except the alignment. That's probably most people.

If the BJ was actually bad, you'll find handling in general will be tighter, but the only way to really see if it was the ball joint replacement that you're feeling would be to get an alignment right before you take it in, and have them realign to the exact same numbers after the replacement.

-Sean

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't worry about ball joint work.

Just wear some nice tight undies (support is everything) & have a bag of frozen peas at home to sit with. You'll be fine in a couple of days.

Really, my '02 had the 'procedure' & it's just the same as when she went in.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer is telling me the parts are now on a "national backorder" and they have no idea when they will get them in. Also don't have a list of who's waiting and told me I'll just have to keep calling periodically until they come in.:td:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts