Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if their is a maker/supplier of a bar type device to lock the tailgate in the open position? Somewhere between 30-45 degrees would be great. I can't seem to find anything searching here or google.

I know I have seen them, but perhaps they are custom one off designs.

Thanks

PJ

·
Registered
148 Posts
I havent seen anything, but keep in mind this is approximately the angle at which the tailgate becomes removable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent seen anything, but keep in mind this is approximately the angle at which the tailgate becomes removable.
Not so concerned as I am hauling a motorcycle and the wheel will touch the gate in the semi-open position.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
People wishing to do this can use a hose clamp on the right tailgate mount to keep an issue from arising and as a theft deterrant. It also eliminates the tailgate "clunk" when driving over bumps and some of the bed bounce (at least on my truck... everyone's opinions are different on this subject). I keep my tailgate at an angle when towing the toy hauler and a bike in the bed.

I'll be making some nice bars to attach to each side of the tailgate before my next summer Glamis trip... maybe I'll make some extras...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good call on the hose clamp, I forgot about that from my Tacoma days.

Seems like a sweet product they got there, never seen anything like it before.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I loop the black cable on each side up and around the u-shaped clamp. Worked better on the the F150 I had, but it works on the tundra just fine. I do this a lot when I haul long lumber. It's free and works. If you need a picture, let me know. Easy to figure out on your own, but here to help.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I loop the black cable on each side up and around the u-shaped clamp. Worked better on the the F150 I had, but it works on the tundra just fine. I do this a lot when I haul long lumber. It's free and works. If you need a picture, let me know. Easy to figure out on your own, but here to help.
That should work if there is some weight on the tailgate to keep it from bouncing up and down on bumps. I don't have that much faith in the cables and would rather get something that locks the tailgate in place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was planning making something like this for when I haul my 4 wheeler. I didn't know they are already available. Thanks for the link.:tu:

oh no prob ..that's why I like this forum a bunch of people helping out. I found these by accident . I love out tail gates because of the damper , but it was a bummer on the way to the track or trails ...any bumps at all and that gate was smashing up and down. This works way better.. alittle expensive though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts