Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you get more Tundra for your money??? Looking for personal opinions, and experiences here. What did you do or should have done to assure your self more bang for the buck in the upgrade department. Given that GST and SET seem to be pissing off alot of people with their "special" packages. And the Factory options??? Well...what do you think of those? Obviously I'm torn. hence my questions. :confused:

·
Banned
888 Posts
Re: Base w/aftermarket upgrades, SR5 or Limited? Best bet to get more truck for your $$$.

I got mine stripped and walked out @ $30,163.00
07 SR5 DC Tundra :tu:
Still haven't seen anyone go this route :confused: I'm not into the "Arcade Options" so all that "bling $$" is saved for other real world options that I can use.I can still do without the Tow Mirrors,Slideing back glass and Elect. Driver seat :td:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: Base w/aftermarket upgrades, SR5 or Limited? Best bet to get more truck for your $$$.

I wish Toyota was more like BMW when it comes to this.....you pick and choose what YOU want without restrictions.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I really don't see the value added by going with the limited unless you really need leather/vinyl seats. If you like cloth then go with the SR5 with TRD package. If I order individual pieces, I think I would still order the TRD package. You get the Fog lights and Alloy wheels which I really want, and you also get upgraded shocks, skid plates, towhooks, etc. As soon as I get my truck the first two upgrades will be LineX and Tinted windows (a must for the upcoming baby). Now I just need to decide between the DC and CrewMax and what color, Im weighing Salsa Red and Pyrite Mica.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I got the SR5 double cab package (Black). I'm getting fog lights installed and got Line X , side step tubes , front skid plate , TRD dual exhaust and windows tinted to match the rear. I think it comes down to personal preferance. I'll try to post pics as I get more familiar with this site seeing as this is my first post.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How can you get more Tundra for your money??? Looking for personal opinions, and experiences here. What did you do or should have done to assure your self more bang for the buck in the upgrade department. Given that GST and SET seem to be pissing off alot of people with their "special" packages. And the Factory options??? Well...what do you think of those? Obviously I'm torn. hence my questions. :confused:
Buy the minimal configuration you can live with and add upgrades you want as needed. Toyota continues to be cocky and arrogant with their limited build packages and can't get option X unless you buy the $2000 package Y approach. If you really want to get the best Tundra bang for your buck, I would wait as I don't think the current high prices will be sustainable.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

I agree that the best bet is to wait for the truck market to become saturated with the full volume of Tundras this Summer. There is still a ton of profit in each of these trucks for every manufacturer and they will not hesitate to cut prices to move this inventory if they have to. This truck is ripe for discounting. I'm sure Toyota will not let their trucks pile up in inventory like the domestics have.

If you are waiting for a CrewMax, that means when the San Antonio plant starts to make them which is sometime in the Fall, although, I'm hoping that date might get moved up due to demand. Anyone have any inside information about whether this might happen?

·
Registered
237 Posts

I wish Toyota was more like BMW when it comes to this.....you pick and choose what YOU want without restrictions.
I agree with you. I wish Toyota was like BMW. I ordered my M3 the way I wanted it. No Sunroof, no Power Seats and no Premium Package. All I wanted was the ZCP Competition Package, Xenons & NAV. Which I got:tu:

With the 2007 Tundra, I went with the CrewMax SR5, and what's in my signature. I wanted the Towing Mirrors, but my CM did not come with it. The dealer gave me some BS about "TRD packaged Trucks don't come with Towing Mirrors" crap:mad: But after driving my CM the last 2 days, I think I can live without the TM's.

Cheers

·
Registered
416 Posts

It's all in what you want. I ended up ordering a limited, even though there were a couple of things on it I didn't want. I originally started with an SR-5, and had loaded it up with a fair number of options.

It was still a bit cheaper than a limited, but the dealer was more willing to deal on a "stripped" limited than an SR-5 with a dozen or so options. The difference in price got slimmer as a result, and I prefered to have all "true factory" installed options rather than "port installed" on the SR-5.

I consider the extras I went for "luxury", rather than "bling". Getting the diamond-cut wheels is "bling", because it's all for show. No one can see my power seats or steering wheel audio controls when I'm going down the road, but we're planning on taking some long trips (with both my wife and I driving), and I wanted some of the bells and whistles for that.

What didn't I want on the limited? The sliding rear window, the mirror I didn't care about, and the color-keyed front bumper. Maybe I can swap somebody their chrome one if they have the right color :p . The gauges, which I didn't even know were different for a while, are actually pretty nice, and make the "tunneled" cluster a bit more tolerable...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got mine stripped and walked out @ $30,163.00
07 SR5 DC Tundra :tu:
Still haven't seen anyone go this route :confused: I'm not into the "Arcade Options" so all that "bling $$" is saved for other real world options that I can use.I can still do without the Tow Mirrors,Slideing back glass and Elect. Driver seat :td:

WOW! That's a nice price. What aftermarket options do you plan on buying?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, BMW are great at that. But at the other end of the spectrum you have Porsche that will nickel and dime you for EVERY little thing you add. There is a plus to packages but you also have to give the customer the option to say yes or no to these packages with out hassle. I bet Toyota comes around near end of summer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't see the value added by going with the limited unless you really need leather/vinyl seats. If you like cloth then go with the SR5 with TRD package. If I order individual pieces, I think I would still order the TRD package. You get the Fog lights and Alloy wheels which I really want, and you also get upgraded shocks, skid plates, towhooks, etc. As soon as I get my truck the first two upgrades will be LineX and Tinted windows (a must for the upcoming baby). Now I just need to decide between the DC and CrewMax and what color, Im weighing Salsa Red and Pyrite Mica.
Yeah I'm not in to the cloth myself. But the wife likes the warmth of cloth. Congrats on the Baby! That's actualy why I'm buying the Tundra to. Mine is due in Aug. I'm leaning towards a CrewMax.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the SR5 double cab package (Black). I'm getting fog lights installed and got Line X , side step tubes , front skid plate , TRD dual exhaust and windows tinted to match the rear. I think it comes down to personal preferance. I'll try to post pics as I get more familiar with this site seeing as this is my first post.
Nick, the black is hot. Definitely get pics. I'm going for a black 4x4 CrewMax. Just wish they offered a black leather interior.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

I would be happy if I could just get the package I'm interested in. I know what factory package I want from the Tundra eBrochure, however, there appears to be zero chance of finding any truck in the Gulf States region that doesn't have additional port options installed. Most of the trucks I have seen on the lots are minimally configured SR5's that are loaded up with port options: Texas Edition chrome wheels, XM Radios, tape stripes, glued-on door enhancements. The only two Limited DC's I have seen at dealerships have had that horrible fake-wood applique. I have yet to see a nav on installed on any of these trucks.

Gulf States must do a really good job of controlling their dealerships via exclusivity because in the Austin area there are over one million people living here and we have only three Toyota dealerships to choose from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buy the minimal configuration you can live with and add upgrades you want as needed. Toyota continues to be cocky and arrogant with their limited build packages and can't get option X unless you buy the $2000 package Y approach. If you really want to get the best Tundra bang for your buck, I would wait as I don't think the current high prices will be sustainable.
I agree with everything but the cockyness/arrogant part. I really think it's just good business on their part. Not neccessarily good for us the customer. But it's a formula that they are using to get the most money for their product right out of the shoot. I'm starting to think waiting is the best bet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with you. I wish Toyota was like BMW. I ordered my M3 the way I wanted it. No Sunroof, no Power Seats and no Premium Package. All I wanted was the ZCP Competition Package, Xenons & NAV. Which I got:tu:

With the 2007 Tundra, I went with the CrewMax SR5, and what's in my signature. I wanted the Towing Mirrors, but my CM did not come with it. The dealer gave me some BS about "TRD packaged Trucks don't come with Towing Mirrors" crap:mad: But after driving my CM the last 2 days, I think I can live without the TM's.

Cheers
I'm sure they will get there given some time for the hype to come down about this truck.

Props on the ZCP package. :tu: I really like the look it gives the M3. Once I get the truck. I will make it my daily driver and then set up my M3 for track only use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be happy if I could just get the package I'm interested in. I know what factory package I want from the Tundra eBrochure, however, there appears to be zero chance of finding any truck in the Gulf States region that doesn't have additional port options installed. Most of the trucks I have seen on the lots are minimally configured SR5's that are loaded up with port options: Texas Edition chrome wheels, XM Radios, tape stripes, glued-on door enhancements. The only two Limited DC's I have seen at dealerships have had that horrible fake-wood applique. I have yet to see a nav on installed on any of these trucks.

Gulf States must do a really good job of controlling their dealerships via exclusivity because in the Austin area there are over one million people living here and we have only three Toyota dealerships to choose from.
Can't you tell them to strip that stuff off on a special order? I talked to Grapevine Toyota and they said it would be possible but just not now. At least not on the CrewMax. Something about getting their first allocation and then being able to wheel and deal on the next allocation.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure you can special order if you beg and plead and then take your dutiful place at the end of the line after all of their less picky customers buy up what they are serving up at Gulf States. Well f*** that. Southwest flies to plenty of cities in New Mexico and Colorado one-way for a good price and I won't mind spending 10 hours driving one-on-one with my new truck.

What burns me more than price is that these trucks are being configured with very few factory options and being loaded up with port options - all to arrive at around the same general price. It's like the Tundra options buffet - all priced under $40K. I had to look around the lot to find the 5.7's this weekend since most DC's had the smaller engine. I mean, who would buy a Limited with a 4.7 engine unless they just didn't know any better?

Have you seen a nav yet on one of these trucks? I haven't. I've seen tons of XM radio's however. Instead of the factory DVD we are offered the aftermarket DVDs in the headrest. I don't suppose they have it in the Red Rock color, do you? The Texas Edition chrome wheels look like something you see on the wall at AutoZone. The custom tape stripe is barely visible because make it the same color as the body.

I just don't need to work with a dealership that feels like they are doing me a big-time solid by ordering me a truck with the factory options to arrive sometime in the Fall.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
StatCoder, very good point on the Flights. There is no doubt that it's a good option for some burdend by GST and SET.

I have seen a DC with the Nav. Not bad at all. But I may go for aftermarket portable. Simply for the convenience of moving it between 3 cars and out of them.

LOL at the Tundra Options Buffet.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The Limited is the better value, but that is not always the case if you look at the stuff that gets added to the Limited. Where the Limited becomes less of a value is when all the port stuff gets added. If you can find a basic limited (which is already loaded with options) you'll see a MSRP of about $39K. If you do a search right now, lots of SR5s are topping $40K with added options and leather.

Take leather seats for example. In a Limited, it's standard. In an SR5, the leather is added at the dealer level. The price of this option on both vehicles is about the same ($1,500 extra). The better value is with the Limited, because in that configuration those leather seats are heated as part of the cost. In a dealer-added leather surface, you don't get heat.

Me, I'd rather have all that come from the FACTORY.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts