Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an appointment in a few hours to do the shim and more importantly to remedy the leak as shown in the pics....Now, I am no expert, but this sure looks like acid leaking... I remember the thread where the guys under hood area was trashed due to leaking acid so I figured I should address this before I exceed 36,000 miles in a few weeks...

Anyone want to comment on how it should be fixed? Can it simply be cleaned off with baking soda and the battery replaced, or should the hose be replaced instead??

Also, anyone know what the blue stuff painted on the terminals is?

Thanks for the input....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Wow, that's ugly.:eek:
I have used a heavy mix of baking soda and water applied with a brush to clean up battery acid spills. Brush it on an let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Do it a least twice until you don't see any more foaming.
The hose will probably be OK if you clean it. I would be a whole lot more worried about the fuse box and wiring.
Good luck, Cliff!:biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's ugly.:eek:
I have used a heavy mix of baking soda and water applied with a brush to clean up battery acid spills. Brush it on an let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Do it a least twice until you don't see any more foaming.
The hose will probably be OK if you clean it. I would be a whole lot more worried about the fuse box and wiring.
Good luck, Cliff!:biggrin1:
crap, didn't really think about the fuse box....think the wiring inside has been affected??? grrrr.....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/174244-what-happened-to-my-battery-2/

Checked my friends battery with 14k miles and his was bad too, just not as bad as yours. Are you
the original owner?
Thanks for the thread. I must have missed it when it was originally posted....I am the original owner....at little annoyed that when the vehicle was last in for servicing a few weeks ago, they did not pick this up.....It should be an interesting afternoon at the dealers..

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Both my 06 and 08 had this problem within just a few months of delivery. The Exide batteries they spec as OEM are garbage. Cleaning and coating with dielectric grease will hold it off for a while, but it will return. The solution is replacement. I have an Optima Red Top in my 06 and Odyssey in my 08.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine did this really badly, my battery also stopped working as well. Toyota re painted and replaced everything that was damaged. Toyota has a hamfisted mechanic somewhere in the factories that over tightens the battery tie downs and causes them to leak acid. They were a huge p[ita to deal with but they finally caved!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just noticed this week at 16,500 miles mine had acid leaking on top of the battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the hold down clamp issue as well, totally over torqued and split the battery. Toyota pulled it, cleaned it, repainted it and put a new, different battery in it and it vents like crazy still!!!! I always am cleaning the thing. Not happy but don`t wanna spring the $$ out MY pocket for a sealed battery!!! It`s going in on Saturday for an oil change and I will bring up that issue again as well as my 2nd noisey front diff.
Best of luck to you all.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I had a similar situation and also noticed the corrosion. I took it to the dealer who confirmed that the battery was leaking from the case. They clean the effected areas and replaced the battery.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Same thing here. Thanks to a guy at work that needed a jump. My positive terminal was soo bad I could hardly get the black cover off. Took about an hour of cleaning with bakeing soda and it still comes back. Need to get the red or yellow top.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, as expected it was a pleasant afternoon at the dealer. They cleaned off all the crap and claimed that it was totally normal. I told him politely of course that I disagreed and that it was from my perspective it was totally unacceptable. Leaking battery acid all over the engine bay was not appropriate under any conditions, but particularly when the vehicle is a whole 2 years old...

The dealer says the battery tested ok so they can't/won't replace it....ok, so I will then be replacing it myself and praying that I get a survey request from Toyota Canada...This dealer is so aggressive that they give the customer a follow up phone call asking them to put down all perfect scores if they receive a survey. The dealer further says that if the customer does not wish to put down 5/5 then to call up the dealer.....please baby please, let me get a survey!!!!

Long and short, I will be replacing the battery on a 2 year old vehicle to prevent further acid damage that Toyota feels is acceptable....Guess they are spending too much on this recall to deal with defective batteries....

Oh and to top it all off, I needed a replacement key which they graciously provided for the low low cost of $140.00.....swell, no wonder so many hate dealing with dealers and why many dealers have bad reputations....

Thanks for all the comments guys and may I just add my voice to the many that have already encouraged owners to replace the stock battery. It is simply not worth the hassle and potential damage having that leaking time bomb under the hood. Perhaps the dealer even did me a favor by not replacing the crap stock battery with a crap replacement....

·
Registered
76 Posts
My battery was leaking but not as bad as yours and it was replaced under warranty (today). I have a 2010, bought Oct. 2009 with 7,000 miles. You might need to call toyota 1-800 number to resolve this as other dealers are doing it on warranty. I believe that there was a tsb about it saying the clamps are overtorque. However, mine is 2010 and it is still overtorque? I have the same leak with my previous 2007 CM, on that one I was not able to bring it in before 36,000 miles and they will not replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
call the 1800 number.mine went bad after 4 years ,so i ordered one .i had to have it mail to me ,the nearest auto parts store is 1/2 hour away and it was my only car.when i went to the dealer for the pedal fix i told him what happen.he told me to call to see if they would refund me .i did and they said send the paper work in and they would refund me .take 6-8 weeks .

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Well, as expected it was a pleasant afternoon at the dealer. They cleaned off all the crap and claimed that it was totally normal. I told him politely of course that I disagreed and that it was from my perspective it was totally unacceptable. Leaking battery acid all over the engine bay was not appropriate under any conditions, but particularly when the vehicle is a whole 2 years old...

The dealer says the battery tested ok so they can't/won't replace it....ok, so I will then be replacing it myself and praying that I get a survey request from Toyota Canada...This dealer is so aggressive that they give the customer a follow up phone call asking them to put down all perfect scores if they receive a survey. The dealer further says that if the customer does not wish to put down 5/5 then to call up the dealer.....please baby please, let me get a survey!!!!

Long and short, I will be replacing the battery on a 2 year old vehicle to prevent further acid damage that Toyota feels is acceptable....Guess they are spending too much on this recall to deal with defective batteries....

Oh and to top it all off, I needed a replacement key which they graciously provided for the low low cost of $140.00.....swell, no wonder so many hate dealing with dealers and why many dealers have bad reputations....

Thanks for all the comments guys and may I just add my voice to the many that have already encouraged owners to replace the stock battery. It is simply not worth the hassle and potential damage having that leaking time bomb under the hood. Perhaps the dealer even did me a favor by not replacing the crap stock battery with a crap replacement....

I went through the same spiel. As the battery continues to leak, eventually its performance will degrade until starting becomes a problem. Most likely this would occur in the winter months, as some of the company trucks at my workplace did experience. At that point the load test would fail and a warranty replacement would be less difficult to obtain, but I was not enthusiastic about placing myself in a no-start scenario in the middle of winter. :ballchain:

·
Registered
272 Posts
These crap batteries don't just leak acid, they also can vent an acid gas. Get yourself a Sears Diehard Platinum battery (exact same as Odessey, only cheaper). They are sealed, don't leak, and don't vent. Problem solved.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I wanted one of those. They don't sell them in Canada so I got an Odyssey instead.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have to clean mine every two months. Just not willing to here the service writer BS.
28 k miles, its going in for an oil change and they'll probably mess with the pedal. I'd mention the battery but I just cleaned it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Found that mine had started leaking last weekend what a crock,,,, my old 1990 toy truck, used the factory battery for 10 flippin years

1 - 20 of 43 Posts