Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, does the stock battery bracket fit the YellowTop batteries or do we have to buy a universal one so the battery can be secured in its' original location?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I did not check the dims, but, I am fairly sure you should be good to go.
I had no issues with my Red top install using the stock bracket. I also used the Optima tray
provided, and height is correct and it fits nicely.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there was a battery tray that came with your optima? what did you use to attach the tray to base of where the battery sits in the compartment?

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
there was a battery tray that came with your optima? what did you use to attach the tray to base of where the battery sits in the compartment?
In case I confused anyone, the correct term they use is "height adapter". The battery
snaps into an "adapter tray" and just drop it in your normal truck battery tray. Mine is Red to
match the battery. The hold down bracket keeps everything tight and from moving. The adapter should be free, and comes with the battery. (at least it always did before)

Here is a quick link of what it looks like: 78 series

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/adapters.pdf

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhhh I see, thank you for clarifying. ya I def don't have the adapter tray, it justs sits in its location with 1 screw keeping it in...barely. thank you autobody shop that replaced it years ago. hmmm so I need to buy the tray (something similar to the 4th pic in your link). i actually went to my dealership today to get the bracket that goes ontop of the battery and attaches to the bodyframe by the headlight...yea that didnt work. 1, the battery wasnt wide enough for it and 2, the battery was shorter then stock so the bracket didn't sit properly. guess i gotta more research.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I finally bought a universal battery tray & battery hold down adapter from Autozone (Battery Tray | AutoZone.com) and had the chance to look at the battery today. Unfortunately there was no way of securing the tray to the battery compartment area. I even bought a few nuts & bolts but there wasn't a way of securing it because there was just no room to get the nut underneath the surface for the bolt to pick up (even thought about reversing the process but there wasn't enough room to fit the bolt inside either).

Question: the tray that came with your Optima battery, is that attached to the floor of the battery compartment area or does it sit ontop with the height adapter securing the battery onto the tray therefore securing the battery from moving completely. Or am I misunderstood and there has to be some form of a connection between the tray and the area it sits in?

Take a look at the pic, any ideas how I can attach the battery tray to that area? Nuts & bolts would be a little difficult, however I could drill a few holes for a few screws to fit into. Worse case, I could use zip ties and just secure it that way (the tray and the floor at least so I don't have to worry about the battery shifting side to side). Or do you recommend getting the Optima tray and using the height adapter from Toyota as my solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I had an Optima in a different truck. As noted in an earlier post, the "tray" it comes with is called a height adapter. It snaps onto the bottom of the battery to increase the height allowing you to use the original hold-down bracket. The height adapter does nothing to secure the battery to the battery tray. Contact Optima or whoever you bought the battery from and get the height adapter. Then you should be able to use the new bracket you got from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Johnny, but does the tray/height adapter secure in any way to the surface of the engine bay?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was browsing through the photo gallery and came across a pic from member Tundraman10 who has a RedTop. It shows how the battery should be installed.

I know I need to get the bottom height adapter for the battery, but what I really need is that grey try underneath the battery, and that's what I've been trying to find out is how that is attached to the frame, if it is at all. Or that doesn't matter?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Johnny, but does the tray/height adapter secure in any way to the surface of the engine bay?
No, it just snaps onto the battery. In the pic you posted, the height adapter is the red piece snapped onto the bottom of the battery. It is attached only to the battery and not fastened to the battery tray in any way. It is simply used to increase the height of the battery allowing you to use the factory hold down bracket to secure the battery.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
...I know I need to get the bottom height adapter for the battery, but what I really need is that grey try underneath the battery, and that's what I've been trying to find out is how that is attached to the frame, if it is at all. Or that doesn't matter?
I think we are making progress here. What you are missing is the stock tray for the battery from what you are posting. I think that tray is just pressed in with some plastic tabs (underside of the tray) into the frame. Doing this from memory, so, maybe someone can chime in and say for sure.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I know I need to get the bottom height adapter for the battery, but what I really need is that grey try underneath the battery, and that's what I've been trying to find out is how that is attached to the frame, if it is at all. Or that doesn't matter?
Sorry, I didn't see this under the pic. I'm not sure how that tray is attached.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh I see now, I'll have to call the dealership and see if they can get that tray piece. I'll try to find one of the local autoshops around here if they do have the adapter piece for the Optima battery. Thanks fellas for the input!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Maybe time to go cruising the "Pick-A-Part" yards or auto/truck salvagers??

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
ahhhh I see, thank you for clarifying. ya I def don't have the adapter tray, it justs sits in its location with 1 screw keeping it in...barely. thank you autobody shop that replaced it years ago. hmmm so I need to buy the tray (something similar to the 4th pic in your link). i actually went to my dealership today to get the bracket that goes ontop of the battery and attaches to the bodyframe by the headlight...yea that didnt work. 1, the battery wasnt wide enough for it and 2, the battery was shorter then stock so the bracket didn't sit properly. guess i gotta more research.
Contact optima and they'll send you another adaptor for free. They did it for me with my red top. I still use it today for my diehard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts