Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came out after a couple hours of being parked and my truck wouldn't turn over. the interior lights were dim so I tried to jump it but it didn't work. So I went to Pep Boys to get the battery tested and it was dead. So got a new battery, put it in and the car turns over and on, but will not stay on or idle. If I hold the gas on it will but as soon as a let off it dies. Can anyone help me.....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
My guess is (and it only is a guess!) when the battery was changed, the powertrain computer was cleared out of any learned performance from the engine and you need to drive it several times to give it a change to re-learn how your engine performs. I believe it takes 3 cycles for it fully re-learn. I forget what qualifies as a cycle (so many miles driven followed by some amount of time) I believe if you drive it for a couple days it will be back to normal.

Reactions: fredo

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
mtzerofive said:
Came out after a couple hours of being parked and my truck wouldn't turn over. the interior lights were dim so I tried to jump it but it didn't work. So I went to Pep Boys to get the battery tested and it was dead. So got a new battery, put it in and the car turns over and on, but will not stay on or idle. If I hold the gas on it will but as soon as a let off it dies. Can anyone help me.....

Thanks.
A agree with Justme but would go a little further. To me these symptoms suggest that your engine might simply need a little maintenance. I would look at things like the MAF sensor, throttle body, spark plugs, and air filter. When were these last cleaned/changed? No need to answer here, just something to consider. Make sure ALL of your vacuum hoses are secure as well.

My train of thought is this:
Your ECU gradually adjusted to the reduced performance of one or more of these components as they degraded through normal operation. When the ECU trim tables were erased with the battery change, the component(s) needing maintenance were now apparent since the ECU was no longer compensating for them.

I'm no expert, but your symptoms are very indicative of your truck needing maintenance on the above mentioned components.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck.

Paul

Reactions: fredo

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agreed with these guys. There should be a way to reset your computer to the default factory setting but I'm not sure what it is.

Also, check the poles on the battery and make sure you were not given a battery with reversed polarity!

Eastwood makes a computer and alarm "saver/setting gizmo" that uses a 9V battery into the cigarette lighter so that when you change your battery your do not lose your settings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Turn the key to the second detent (the actual run position, not start position) and let it sit there for about a minute. It may need to relearn the throttle stop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You may want to pull the rubber elbow off the throttle body and clear the bore(s) where the throttle blades contact it. The blades might be getting stuck in the gunk in the bores.
Doug

·
Registered
195 Posts
i had the same prob after i ran batt dead by leaving ig key on. what fixed it for me was removing the battery connections for about ten minutes, then putting back on. truck idles fine again

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had the same problem. Changed the battery and it would not idle. Tried the suggestion to remove the battery cables for ten minutes. It worked like a charm. Thank you so much, this saved a tow to the dealer and money to fix the problem.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agreed with these guys. There should be a way to reset your computer to the default factory setting but I'm not sure what it is.

Also, check the poles on the battery and make sure you were not given a battery with reversed polarity!

Eastwood makes a computer and alarm "saver/setting gizmo" that uses a 9V battery into the cigarette lighter so that when you change your battery your do not lose your settings.
A reversed polarity battery would not allow the engine to run at all, let alone no idle. The idle problem is one of two issues, a miscalibrated MAF - clean it and do a computer reset. The second issue is the low speed fuel pump resistor mounted on the driver fenderwell. When the RPM is brought up a relay bypasses the resistor for full pump speed, at idle the pump is designed to slow down through the resistor. It the resistor is bad or unplugged, the pump will not run at idle, however will do the normal prime during key on which will give the initial startup each time. Check the connector, and fuses.

Two issues using one of these 9V battrey gizmo's:
1 - The key must be in at least the acc position for the cig lighter to work( unless you have done the bypass wiring) otherwise the 9v battery is not connected to the vehicle's electrical system.
2 - Don't leave your door open while doing this, otherwise the interior lights will kill the 9v battery off in seconds. Seen this so many times and it was always blamed on a bad 9v battery ! Go figure.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,
:tu:
I know this thread is from 4 years ago ... however, I found it during my research ... therefore, I wanted to share my experience (which just happened today) as well. Hoping it may help others who find this thread as well.

I replaced the battery on my 2002 Tundra today, and my car also started to die on idle. I wasn't sure what to think. So I feared a possible Fuel Injector issue. I went to PepBoys, and once I was there to get Injector Cleaner ... I spoke with one of the Mechanics. He told me the computer needed to reset, and to just turn the Air Conditioner on (to increase RPMs) and let the car idle for 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, my Air conditioner didn't increase the RPMs much ... so I held down the gas peddle on 2,000 RPMS for about 10 minutes. After that, the car stayed on with the Air Conditioner (almost died without it on). So with the Air Conditioner on, I went to a drive on the roads/freeway ... got back about 15 minutes later and all was working well again (with or without the air conditioner on). I have driven it around and started it multiple times today, and all is as it should be (or at least as it was before the battery swap).

Therefore, much like some of the posts above, it was all about helping the electronics reset and remember what they had to do.

Hope this helps someone else as well. Before the advice from the mechanic ... I was starting to plan my trip to the dealership, and thinking what that was going to cost.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
I had this problem with my 2004 Tundra. I tried leaving the battery cables off for ten minutes, then tried leaving the detent key in the run position for one minute. Neither fixed the problem immediately. Then I tried driving for a few miles. At the first stop, about six miles later, the truck idled just fine. No more problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same experience with my wife's Toyota Sequoia. After AAA replaced the battery, the engine would shut off idled at 500 rpm. This was the first time experiencing this after replacing a battery. What AAA told me was that I need to reset the idle sensor. Suggested I keep the car parked and press the accelerator at 1,500 -2K rpm for 10mins. I did that for 15 mins, but no luck. I called back, they said I could either have their mechanic take a look at it or I could drive the car and it should reset automatically. They said it commonly happens with Toyota (Camry, Lexus) and driving 10 miles should do the trick!

I didn't know what to expect and saw other people experiencing same thing online...

What worked for me was driving the car to work (17 miles) on the highway, which was a challenge coming to a complete stop (traffic jam) driving for 12 miles. The engine would shut off. I immediately put the car in park, and pressed the accelerator and exited highway and continue driving on streets for 5 more miles. When coming to a stop, I pressed on the accelerator to keep the car from stalling again. When I got to work, I stopped serveral times and keeped the car ideled, which now is at 1,000 rpm. It's never stalled on us. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this happen. Disconnected battery for 10 minutes, then drove the truck for 20 minutes. When a stopped, it was getting low on idle. Started the A/C, after that seems to be holding idle. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the contributors: Same thing just happened to my wife's 2002 Sequoia- battery died and when I replaced it did the same issue, would not idle and dies off...I drove it six miles to work, six miles back and dropped off my wife to her work and it reset as before.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
Use some carb cleaner on that dirty throttle body. It'll run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My post is 12 years newer than this one but that's exactly what I did - bought a new battery for a 2002 Tundra and when I started it the truck wouldn't idle; it just died. I disconnected the negative side of the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnected it and it fixed the problem. Works like a champ.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts