Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened now 12 times in the (nearly) 2 years I've had the truck. Leave it untouched about a week, and the battery won't even light the interior light. Finally took it to my dealer, and they say it won't last for more than 10 days if you don't drive it. True? I can't believe that's normal.

They did the current draw test and report 3mA. That sounds low to me. I told em the battery was probably killed after 12 or more discharge cycles, but they claim it put out a few more CCA under load than it's rated. So they won't replace the battery. But do the math: a 3mA load over a 168-hour week is still barely 1/2 ampere-hour!

Am I being shammed by the stealership? Does your Taco battery die this quickly if you don't drive it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have not yet tried this with the Tacoma, but if it's true that the battery does not last longer then 10 days, that would be ridiculous.

We go on 4-5 weeks trips on a regular basis (overseas), and I have never had a starting problem with any of our cars after that time of just sitting in the garage / driveway. I will try it this May/June with the Taco for the first time (the truck will not be started for 4 weeks and 3 days). I'll let you know then. :)

I don't think that's normal. Let's see what others have to say ...

·
Registered
93 Posts
that's total bvll****....

I'd go buy an Optima and then drive by that dealership and throw your old battery out the window into their service area.....

TOTAL BS.

10 days....that's embarrassing they would even say that....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Leave it untouched about a week, and the battery won't even light the interior light. Finally took it to my dealer, and they say it won't last for more than 10 days if you don't drive it. True? I can't believe that's normal.
I call BS on this -- there's just no way that's correct. Have a reputable shop load test your battery (many will do it for free), and maybe check the electrical discharge. If the battery checks good (and if you have a multimeter or even a test light), you can pull fuses and check for current draw to find the offending circuit.

Or find another dealer, or call a Toyota zone rep. Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
But do the math: a 3mA load over a 168-hour week is still barely 1/2 ampere-hour!
That's correct. Thought about this again. Did you tell the dealer that? It would be interesting to see what they say .... How many ampere hours is the Taco battery rated at? 60 maybe? A 3mA current should do nothing to it in a week. Probably not even in 3 months, even if you include the battery internal leakage.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
Most toyotas I have tested average about 19-33 milliamps draw.
If this was a PRIUS and they said 10 days, YES THATS TRUE.
NOT ANYTHING ELSE, that isnt a HYBRID. Hybrids can NOT SIT for extended periods of time.
They last for weeks. My own personal tundra sat for 14 days while we were on vacation and fired right up when I went to work after we got back.
3 milliamp---- just aint no way.

A starter that draws an excessive load can damage a battery over time
Did they do a starter draw test?
Is the ALT up to par or just so/so?
Did they use the toyota tester on the battery?
or did they use a VAT45?
Any aftermarket electronic components?

Toyota batteries are Terrible IMO, They can be good one day and bad the next and then good again the next.
Most people wont believe me when i say that, but until it happens to you, you wont undestand. I have had it happens several times.

We have been told up to 50 milliamp is acceptable.

Clocks/radio memory/ecu memory/Airbag Ecu just to name a few aLL CAUSE A PARASITIC DRAW.
3 milliamp :td: just cant be in my book.

Sounds like you have a temperamental (BAD) battery
Find another dealership;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Toyota batteries on US produced units are supplied by either Johnson Controls, Delphi, or Exide, all of which make good batteries, and all 3 have some defects in any production run. 3mA will not kill a battery over that short of time. As mustang67408 has asked, are there any add on amps, alarms ect added? Some defect batteries will self discharge in a few days of non-use, but act normal if used daily. That is hard to detect, and can't really be detected with a pile type resistance load tester, if charged with a charger or just by jumping and driving, and then load tested it will show good because it takes and holds (for a while) a charge. Many repeated complete discharges will take a toll on output of course. Same goes for a battery that someone leaves the headlights on for 12 hours os so, the load tester will show a bad battery, but it is not bad, just dead, so charge it up and go on. I have not bought but one battery in 20 years. I just exchange a core for the so called defect. In your case you have an intermittent load such as a sticking closed relay or such or a bad batt that self discharges, so temporarily swap in another batt and see if batt (either one) goes dead in a week or so. Tacoma's use a common 24F (also called 24R) batt so finding one to borrow should not be hard. A group 25 is a shorter leangthlower CCA version and will work also. Good luck.....

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
My car - a Toyota product also - is a garage queen and sits for up to two months in the winter without being started. After a couple of years of that you can eventually kill a battery, but 10 days is total, clueless, lying dealership BS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My old 2001 sat for three months and then wouldn't start but it was a four year old battery so i wasn't all that surprised.I know high end cars like bmw will wake up and not go to sleep and kill the battery's and I'd assume a Tacoma might have a more rudimentary system that is drawing excessive amps.Any electrical upgrades lately should be where i would start, i don;t know much about lojack but i would assume it would be something that is wired to be constant on and those type of things will kill a battery quickly.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah mine does the same thing. Although I had a phone charger with one LED light that was lit and it killed my battery in like 3 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's correct. Thought about this again. Did you tell the dealer that? It would be interesting to see what they say .... How many ampere hours is the Taco battery rated at? 60 maybe? A 3mA current should do nothing to it in a week. Probably not even in 3 months, even if you include the battery internal leakage.
I was about to, but I could just hear him saying "but they don't rate batteries that way anymore" (as if that mattered). And like I said I thot 3mA was low too, but it's on the service receipt.
Yes, they put it on a Toyota tester he said. Donno if that includes starter draw or not. It's that mentality that bugs me: "the computer says it's OK, so it's OK". Logic or common sense is out the window.
I have done a foglight mod - triggering the relay from an IGN circuit instead of low beam. Seemed like that might be related - if I left the foglite switch on, it died quicker - but it has died with the switch off, so no correlation. No other electrical mods except a Dension iPod interface.

I'm gonna do my own milliamp draw test, and hit a parts store that'll do a load test on the battery. Armed with that data, and everyone's support here, I may hit the dealer's service manager again for fun, but likely try another dealer. The one I bought it from has lost the Toyota franchise.
Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts