Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size battery should a tundra have?
My brother put a battery about 3/4 the size of the tray in right before i bought it, and i have had to have it jumped probably four times in 3 months. 03 ac

·
Registered
524 Posts
27F, its about a foot long. Look at the power rating tho, Im not sure but a 34 or 24F may fit in there as well and be every bit as powerfull.

Faulty battery is more your issue or somethings draining it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You have the 6 cylinder by chance? Ive worked on quite a few, tray is sized for a 27F on v8 models and the 6 cylinder takes the 24F.
I'm glad you asked. I have a V8. I still have the original factory battery and I've been looking around for a replacement. The Autozone and Advance websites say that I need a 24F, but I will double check when its time to actually buy one. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ok, its official. My 03 V8 AC 4x4 came from the factory with a 24R battery.

So much for what the Autozone and Advance website say! Thanks CJM_T100 for bringing this to my attention.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Just put in a Die hard Platinum. It is smaller in size then the original but will never leak acid like a sieve.

·
Registered
524 Posts
No problem Sand.

Looking at the tray will tell you which one you really need. If the trays larger then by all means you can swap to the larger 27 group battery.

In the end it isnt so much the size as the power rating, So long as it has the correct powe rating and fits in there you can put (depending on terminal placement) 34, 34R/24F (same thing usually), 25, 27F/27. Different battery makers also have different capacities. A 27F interstate might be 700CCA @0F, but a diehard might be 800CCA @0F.. Personally I like the diehard platinums, but you cant go wrong with the walmart everstart max.

Best advice-find one with a sealed top with side vents-not top vents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts