Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did something very stupid. :clumsy:

Tundra had a bad battery. i saw that my tundra had a group 27 battery and purchased same. upon connecting the positive cable to the battery, the horn sounded, the lights came on, and i think i soiled my underwear.

The battery should have been a 27F which has the positive and negative reversed. Being an electrician, i feel like the biggest moron not to have verified this. nonetheless, after purchasing the right battery and installing it, the truck would not start and all of the instrument panel lights would not go off. i started pulling and replacing bad fuses and finally got it running but nothing else works (radio, signals, etc.). the instrument panel lights are all still on (all of them) and i am nervous to drive it to the dealer. i live in a rural area and the drive to the dealer is around 80 miles from here. being an electrician, i can rewire anything but the computer and electronic components on these new vehicles are unknown territory to me. any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Man, that really sucks - sorry to hear that!

The ECM is reverse diode protected, but most of the other stuff is likely toast. Sad thing is once you get the dash fixed/replaced, you'll find out whether your airbag/SRS computer is bad. Alternator may be ok, but any relay or solenoid with an induction arresting diode is probably bad. I would also try to pull some diagnostic codes if you can to tell what else may be affected. You may want to claim this under your insurance - I doubt you'd be able to sneak it in for warranty even if you lied about it. The damage will be obvious when everything gets taken apart.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Man I did this in my old tacoma one time. fried all kinds of stuff. The large fuses in the engine bay were welded in. Had to replace the whole bus I think you call it. Keep looking for blown fuses. The radio may have a fuse in the back of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, that really sucks - sorry to hear that!

The ECM is reverse diode protected, but most of the other stuff is likely toast. Sad thing is once you get the dash fixed/replaced, you'll find out whether your airbag/SRS computer is bad. Alternator may be ok, but any relay or solenoid with an induction arresting diode is probably bad. I would also try to pull some diagnostic codes if you can to tell what else may be affected. You may want to claim this under your insurance - I doubt you'd be able to sneak it in for warranty even if you lied about it. The damage will be obvious when everything gets taken apart.
What exactly is the ECM? i have read posts where people touch the positive and negative leads together to reset it. is this possible? Aside from replacing fuses, is there anything specific i should look for or test?

·
Registered
315 Posts
ECM= electrical control module IE: computer.

And even if this has a diode you can still smoke them (ecm) by reversing the polarity for a anything more than a few seconds (you can burn through the diode). However if the vehicle runs at all the ECM is likely OK.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you try to disconnect the battery cable again to reset the ecm? Most cars have what they're called fusible links to help lesser damages in case of reversed polarity. I would check all the fuses again and try to reset the ecm if still fails I will search for that fusible link fuse.

BT

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
There are a LOT of things that could be wrong, but if it is running with no Check Engine Light it might not be too bad.:doh:
It is still likely to be expensive enough to get into an insurance claim.:(:(

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ow dam. yeah, thats stupid alright hahaha but guess what? its been done before and will likely continue to be done. i think ur best bet is to do an insurance claim as its likely gonna be very expensive to get all the stuff u fried fixed.... good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
UNDER WARRANTY - I could imagine someone reinstalling the original battery, driving to the dealership/or having it towed, and asking why nothing works all the sudden. I could really imagine that happening....

NOT UNDER WARRANTY - Boat ramp, runaway throttle in reverse..... National coverage, (if you pull a kitten from the sinking truck, you're a hero too) sue Toyota, buy your own island.

And the best part is, if you're religious, you can pray to GOD, ask for forgivness, and still go to heaven !! If you're not religious, well then, nothings changed, you still go to hell.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you try to disconnect the battery cable again to reset the ecm? Most cars have what they're called fusible links to help lesser damages in case of reversed polarity. I would check all the fuses again and try to reset the ecm if still fails I will search for that fusible link fuse.

BT
i tried that. left it disconnected for an hour. ALL fuses that fried have been replaced (at least the ones that i have found) i will try to find the fusible link.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a LOT of things that could be wrong, but if it is running with no Check Engine Light it might not be too bad.:doh:
It is still likely to be expensive enough to get into an insurance claim.:(:(
It seems to run fine although i havent taken it for a drive. The check engine light is on though (but so are all the rest of them).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow, A union electrician in New York driving an import truck, you have some balls lol. I've heard some stories of guys getting keyed or tires slashed for driving an import and being union back east. Hope times have changed. Kinda dumb when most of detroits trucks are built in mexico and the imports are built here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, A union electrician in New York driving an import truck, you have some balls lol. I've heard some stories of guys getting keyed or tires slashed for driving an import and being union back east. Hope times have changed. Kinda dumb when most of detroits trucks are built in mexico and the imports are built here.
I am a Local 94 Engineer working in Manhattan and I drive to work every day in one of my 3 Toyotas and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My 03 frontier battery failed to start my truck, once, jump change battery is my motto. Went straight to auto zone, pulled old battery brought in and ordered a new one. The lady that took the order seemed to, not be paying attention, to busy to wait on me, talking on her cell phone while dealing with me, didn't give a flying fluk about my problem. She quickly found me a battery which I quickly put next to my old one tho she was ordering me down to her cash register, I said I'd be glad to get a battery from her when she got me the right one, yea the post's were backwards. I was vary gentle, but let her know that if that battery went in my truck it would fry my entire electrical system, she seemed puzzled and the manager became involved, then he saw what I saw and helped to get the right battery. Easy mistake to make, but vary expensive, I know this post isn't much help, but hopefully you'll get out of this without to much pain.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts