Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What battery terminals are you guys running? I can't seem to keep a set on my truck for more than 6 months because they lose their conductivity or whatever and will make it to where it seems like my battery is dead. I have never heard of anyone else having this problem. So what do you guys run that lasts? what maintenance are you doing to keep them from corroding?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
i still got the oem battery, its the heavy duty maintenance type. its been a year an a half now with no problem, ohh a couple of months ago, the negative side terminal corroded with that white stuff. just clean it up with a metal terminal cleaner and apply some grease and its been corrode free since.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
First thing I did was get rid of my OEM battery and changed to Optima. When I completed my stereo install, changed over to Fosgate terminals to keep all the wires neat and clean. Never an issue after many years. (pic in my gallery, to avoid boring people that have seen the setup in other threads)

I am not playing in mud, so, this may be more on the detailing side of things and not needed for you. As posted, need to keep them clean (greased and make sure you do not have spillage if still running OEM or acid type battery)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I coated the terminal ends that fit on the battery with fluid film. Since it does not evaporate no corrosion can ever get started.

Pat

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
All you need really is to remove terminals, scrape the scum off them with a sharp object then sandpaper, now clean the battery terminals the same way and apply a generous glob of dielectric grease before reconnecting. Mine are 4 yrs old and they are perfectly clean and corrosion free.

NOTE: Before you reconnect, all terminal surfaces should be shiny and clean.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well not to mention I manage to mangle them when I put them on and off the battery terminals. But yes I am still running the old school style batteries that leak acid everywhere. It is just a cheap one from advance auto parts. I put grease on them every time but it just wears off. Not much mud comes into contact with them either so I don't know.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
I switched to the gold plated ones from Autozone and coated them with the little packets of terminal lube they sell too.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I switched to the gold plated ones from Autozone and coated them with the little packets of terminal lube they sell too.
I almost bought the gold ones but didn't know if they were worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Any old grease may or may not do the job to seal and isolate terminals. The surfaces have to be throughly cleaned and DI ELECTRIC grease used.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You can buy the spray on corrosion junk but i just use baking soda and water and always coat everything to include the cable end with petrolatum/Vaseline or di-electric grease and i do it like 2 times a year and it seems to keep things working for me with my original OEM battery that was installed in late 05!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
At your friendly neighborhood auto parts store you should be able to find everything you need in their electrical or battery parts aisle. There are brushes made just for cleaning battery posts and terminals, "no corrode" grease, made just for the purpose, in tubes, and much more. As to your problem, keep 'em clean and greased, at least a couple of times a year, and they will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Di electric grease = vasoline
I would imagine KY works just as good than atleast you can use it for more than just battery terminals.... LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts