Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the engine, AC and lights are all on what should the voltage read at the battery posts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
With my engine cold I see 14.1V, but once warmed up it drops down to around 13.5V according to my scangauge.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, it's fine. for a battery to charge it needs to me more than your battery so anything over 13, is charging.
when cold it's 14.0 or 14.1-2 once warm, it drop's. it's a good thing. this is how denso's work.
most read 13.3 to 13.8 thats our range. depending on our alternators.
some tundra's have 80amp, 100amp, 130amp, & 150amp. so the 150 would have more & work less, where the 80 would have to work harder.

not only does the scangauge confirm's this.
but it you had a volt meter. digital like i bought.

also many have 2 types of battery's. stock is a smaller 1, others it comes with a larger exide

my volt meter is what helped me figure out when my audio issue was, it read the exact same thing i had in my scangauge.

i traced it fom the battery to the isolator. where there was a drop. and from the other battery to the isolator.
in both cases it was the fuses.. even though they showed good. do not be fooled by a fuse that looks good.
it could be bad.
both battery's have fuses.
thats the short story. i didn't want to write a book. since your issue had nothing to do with audio.
so my alternator is charging 2 battery's, & running all my accessorys.
if it makes you feel better you can if you have a 4.7l find a sequoia 150amp alternator. & install it. giving you in some case alot more amps from the alternator to run everything.
i learned this due to 2 of my shop's going out of business. and i had no choise but to figure it out myself. since i know where everything is.
another shop wanted to charge me 70 a hour, & they said it could take hours, plus whatvever it was.
heck i called my friend over a kinetik & he helped me. i went out did what he said & presto. i found the issues.
now i have alot(21) of 80amp agu fuses, a extra alternator 150amp.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Once it approaches 11V and still dropping you should start worrying.... (-:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a question about this. I have a 2000 toyota tundra v8. stock alt. Which is 70 or 80 amp I'm pretty sure. Im getting ready to put two electric fans on my radaitor. Is it going to hurt to run a 11amp fan then a 7.5amp fan at the same time? Im going to use the 11amp fan as the main fan, and then 7.5amp fan for the really hot days, or sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, if you have a V8 you should have a 100amp.
if you have a V6 it's a 80amp.

i would try to find out if your year motor & the sequoia year motor are the same.
usually the sequoia has more amp's. therefore it should be a direct fit.

i'm not to sure, if they made a sequoia in 2000, & if they did, what was there alternator amp's?
usually it would be alot higher.
also check your wiring.
if it's 4gauge you will not have any problems putting in a 130 amp tundra alt. or the sequaoia 150 amp.
buy a used 1, shipped to your door for around $100.
well worth the money.
problems solved.
try LKQ on line salvage. they also sell on ebay. goggle LKQ.
give them a call, ask them, they have good knowledgable people there to help you.
you have nothing to loose & everything to gain.
or do searches 2000 tundra alt amperage.
2000 sequoia alternator amperage.
also i wonder if the 2000 is the same motor as a 2001 or 2002,2003.
if it is, than i'm pretty sure they made a sequoia. like i said you would have to find out.
so research it.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
234 Posts
You should see 13.2 to 14.8 V with less than a 10 amp load. With the high beams on and the heater blower on high you
should see 30 amps output . If the battery is newer and at full charge you may see less than the standard 30 amps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts