Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is a 2002 Limited 4wd TRD Access cab.

Getting a loud squeal from the front of the truck. It seems more pronounced on the passenger side at highway speeds, and I can really hear it when I pass a median or highway divider on the passenger side.

Sounds like a bearing so I take it all apart, steering knuckle, hub and bearing (entire thing) in my hand. I buy the Toyota OEM wheel bearing, part number 90369-54002.

Press at work is only 10 ton and you have to have a special contraption to sneak in behind the hub but hold on to the steering knuckle to press out the hub.

So I call Toyota, one was $157 to press in and out (I supply part) and the other was $250 (with my part). So I go for the $157, drop it off and a couple hours later I get a call from the service rep saying that I bought the wrong bearing (it is too big). You can tell by just setting it on the outside of the back of the steering knuckle. NO way it will press in.

Service rep says let me check if we have the right part in stock, I give him the VIN from the truck, they have one in stock for $130. I say I want it and he says ok, call you when it is done.

I get a call 30 min later saying that the one form the dealer is also to big (same size as my part). He says are you sure that this came off of a 2002 Tundra Limited 4WD, TRD. I said yea, its in my driveway on three wheels. I promise you it is off of that truck.

So he says let me try an aftermarket bearing and see what happens. So he orders an aftermarket bearing and same story, it is to big.

He says I have been here 22 years and never seen this.

Do other steering knuckles with smaller bearings also fit the 1st gen tundras? 4Runner? Sequoia? Like a previous owner switched it out?

The last thing he says asks me is why do you think this bearing is bad? I said because it is howling like crazy. He says, "That bearing doesn't feel bad and especially not like you are describing."

Surely I am not the first person to find out that the Toyota Parts has the wrong size bearing.

So my long story boils down to two questions.

1) Could it be the drivers side even though it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side and really echos when passing a median/highway divider?

2) What bearing is actually in my truck and is there a part number with a smaller size?

my plan is to put it back together as is, jack up driver side see if I hear squeal while spinning tire and go from there.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
As far as the wrong part goes, I nave no idea. But as for the squeal, yes always check both sides before replacing anything. It could sound like it’s from one side and be the other. It could sound like it’s one side and be both sides. You never know unless you check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check your carrier bearing. Jack up your truck on 4 jack stands, put tranny in Drive, walk around and listen if thats the issue you are hearing. I had a similar howling/scream coming from undercarriage and thats what it was. Sprayed the snot out of it with penetrating oil and its been good ever since, it just needed some lube.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How did this issue turn out? Curious because I also have a mystery noise in the drivetrain somewhere. Not the carrier because that’s been replaced (it WAS bad, but apparently I have another noise that the carrier drowned out).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts