Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was planning on starting a dyi mod soon to add d rings like the tacos have to my tundra's bed. I figured while I was at it I would replace the factory button socket cap screws in the bed with stainless ones. However, I can not for the life of me get a solid answer or find one on what size those torx bolts are.

One guy said M12 1.25x115 but no sites had those exactly (fastenal, mcmaster, etc.)

Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
8,506 Posts
They are a coated M12-1.25 x 115 with a T55 head going into spot-welded nuts. They are an odd size. Try these guys: Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online

If you're replacing them all, I'd try to find a complete replacement set with a standard bolt head for ease of future removal. If not, your local dealer should be able to order them for about $20 each. :eek::rolleyes: If you get them out, I'd reinstall with a little anti-seize.

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
I just created a 1" body lift kit and heavily researched Gen1 Tundra bolt sizes. The bed bolts were not that difficult to source once I knew what I needed. And Fastenal was the go-to for this one.

M12X1.25 X 110mm will fit Fastenal: 11114261
120mm will also fit: part# 11114262.
Both are partially threaded bolts. The 120 will have a little extra thread exposed under the bed than the 110.

NOTE: when working with Fastenal, they can get you any quantity of any fastener you need. Just call your local branch (or nearest branch) and explain what you need. You are not limited to the quantity shown on the website. Also, the price may be significantly less if you call and can pick it up locally.

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
I just saw you wanted stainless....

I would advise against using 18-8 or 316L SS for body mount hardware. Although it's corrosion resistant, it will have significantly less torsion and sheer strength than even a grade 5 bolt. There is a hardened stainless available, but it would be special order. If you're calling Fastenal, ask them about BUMAX stainless bolts in that size. It's as strong as a grade 8 or metric 10.9 bolt as well as being corrosion resistant like a 18-8SS.

The OEM bed bolts are coated with Armor-Coat, that silver finish they have, and it's great and all , but once it's scratched, the coating is gone. That's why your tie down brackets are probably rusted over like mine. And WTF is up with that T55 torx pan head armor coat extra fine thread metric bolt not being available anywhere in the whole fricken world?!?! :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And WTF is up with that T55 torx pan head armor coat extra fine thread metric bolt not being available anywhere in the whole fricken world?!?! :lol:
HAHAHA! Yeah, I guess it is kinda specific haha. I was able to use fastenal stainless for the tie-down bolts around the bed, cause they had rusted out too. Looks like I will talk to the local fastenal shop this week about this bolt, and see what they can do. Fastenal's site doesn't have anything about BUMAX though..

If the stainless ends up being too big a hassle, I think i'll end up with the yellow zinc 120mm ones listed online. I really wanted to keep with the pan-head design but fastenal doesn't have any close to that length, and every other site doesn't even have M12-1.25's. urgh..

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
they're gonna look at you like, "What the... do you need that for???" That's the face I got when asking for M12 zinc 10.9 DIN 960 bolts. haha
Two of my friends work for Fastenal, one is a sales manager other is a regional director of something. They're the ones that informed me of this euro stainless. I'm sure it's not cheap. You may want to ask them if they have any button head socket cap screws in a M12x1.25.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they do have that size online, just not the length I need, hopefully the store will have more answers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well its M12-1.75 in button, all they got in M12-1.25 is cap head, but hey, compromise if necessary to get them rustys out

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
Dude, ya know.... you COULD remove the old ones, then drill out the captured threads from underneath, then use whatever head style M12 or 1/2-20 bolt you wanted with a washer and locknut on the bottom.

Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good,

I'm looking to put a d-ring where all the factory bed bolts are to rig up a mount i'm building, and didn't wanna drill anything out or make new holes. I decided to go to a junkyard, there is a tundra there i've pulled some stuff off before that has a plastic liner over its bolts, they are probably in better shape.

I'll get a post up when its all done.

2000 Tacoma
2 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts