Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my 03 Tundra access cab in on a 07 5.7L limited crew max. Wow! what a truck... only one complaint. It bounces badly on the Los Angeles freeways at 70 MPH. Our freeway system is uneven and the rear end of this truck skips over the tops of the expansion joints on the road. If I put 500 lbs in the bed it rides nice. Aside from driving around with my mother-in-law strapped down in the back, does anyone have any suggestions (besides unstrapping the MIL)? Has anyone tried taking out a leaf and installing the Firestone air ride system?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Bouncing over the LA ripple!

Dont strap your M.I.L. in the bed what are you a @ss

TAKE MY M.I.L. !!!!!! just kidding mom we both love you guys!!

I live in north San Diego and same thing here. Allmost would make you spill your beer!

I Hope if i lift it it will change the valving in the socks and it will help. Im sure its the wheelbase/shock rate/spring rate.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\____________

·
Registered
110 Posts

I noticed it smooths out nicely at 80. But as much fun as it is to go faster, strapping your M.I.L. in the back sounds like a good solution. I have an S.I.L. that I'd be willing to hire out.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I totally agree about the bouncing on the Los Angeles Freeway. Luckily I don't use the 10fwy a whole lot, because i can't imagine bouncing around like that on a frequent basis. I do have the TRD package which I think makes it alittle worse.

I don't have any problems with all the other freeways in the area, just the 10fwy. which so far I've only driven 3 times since I bought the truck, which was about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
357 Posts

I totally agree about the bouncing on the Los Angeles Freeway. Luckily I don't use the 10fwy a whole lot, because i can't imagine bouncing around like that on a frequent basis. I do have the TRD package which I think makes it alittle worse.

I don't have any problems with all the other freeways in the area, just the 10fwy. which so far I've only driven 3 times since I bought the truck, which was about 3 weeks ago.
I get the bounce in torrance and into carson on the south bound 405. But for the most part no bounce on any other freeway I have been on.

·
Registered
457 Posts

the full size dodge we have at work does the same thing. my tacoma is OK but the rear suspension is quite soft and it won't carry much weight

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts

For this reason (Among many others), I am glad that I moved back to the South from SoCal...I imagine the 710 is a bear...I know it was in my Taco TRD 4x4...Unfortunately, I have no MIL...but my buddy Eric, who we call "Lunch Box," would do nicely for you guys...he's in the SD area. If you'd like, I can pimp him out for you:D

BTW the interstates in SC and GA are pretty smooth...some spots over bridges/overpasses can be hairy at the expansion joints, but NBD.

·
Registered
202 Posts

I get the bounce in torrance and into carson on the south bound 405. But for the most part no bounce on any other freeway I have been on.
Yep, there's a section right there but also north bound a bit farther south between around Long Beach frwy on the 405. I was driving my Brand new truck home from San Juan Capistrano to Hermosa Beach last week and hit that stretch (and its about 5 miles) and I thought, "Oh my God what the hell did I just buy?" . But, thankfully, it stopped. I have the non TRD and thank God I made that decision as I did consider TRD. I'm going to just have to put up with the occasional bouncing along the 405. Thats fine with me.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

I have the same issue with my F250 crew cab. The Tundra is still inbound, so I can't give a report on that. I am in Las Vegas, and some (not all) of the freeways here are built like the ones in Cali. My theory is that Wheelbase has a lot to do with the frequency at which you catch the seams in the concrete construction. If I lower my tire pressure just a bit, 5 lbs, it seems to help. Also, when I chucked the stock shocks and put on Bilsteins, it also helped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Guys, Thanks for all the feedback, but I do not want or need another MIL... One is enough!. Worst section of freeway I have found is the 101 between Camarillo and Oxnard... Yee Hah!. Mine has the stock shocks and I am going to try the TRD Bilsteins. I put these on my old truck and they actually smoothed it out.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I have an '07 double cab with the TRD Bilsteins and I DO get a bit of bounce on certain stretches(especially the southbound 5 b/ Glendale and La Mirada). I was about to go pickup a kidney belt, lol. Had the same issue with my Dodge Dakota and it had Konis'. Our freeways are just beat, especially due to earthquake activity. Everywhere else is smooth as glass, almost spooky smooth. I swear 80 feels like 50 in this thing. Gotta' keep an eye on that speedo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I agree! 80 feels like 50 on most roads and then I get a patch of the LA ripple and it's a bucking bronco at 70. If I speed up to 90 or so, it's great again. I wonder if I can use that excuse on the CHP.

·
Registered
215 Posts

I agree! 80 feels like 50 on most roads and then I get a patch of the LA ripple and it's a bucking bronco at 70. If I speed up to 90 or so, it's great again. I wonder if I can use that excuse on the CHP.
So what is worse on the Freeway, with or without TRD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I'm getting it back from the dealer this afternoon with the new shocks installed. I'll post back later on this.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I have a stock '05 Limited TRD in Southern California and I get a lot of bounce on the 5 fwy between San Juan Capistrano and the 405. My poor 4 month old daughter in the back seat gets quite a ride!

Whoops I just noticed that I am in the 2007 Tundra forum. Please don't hurt me!!! ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts

Whoops I just noticed that I am in the 2007 Tundra forum. Please don't hurt me!!! ;)
we'll forgive you...this time. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts

Guys, Thanks for all the feedback, but I do not want or need another MIL... One is enough!. Worst section of freeway I have found is the 101 between Camarillo and Oxnard... Yee Hah!. Mine has the stock shocks and I am going to try the TRD Bilsteins. I put these on my old truck and they actually smoothed it out.

Pleae Let us (at least me) know if the Bilsteins make a difference.
I would change my shocks in a heart beart if it helps.

Gary

·
Registered
202 Posts

So what is worse on the Freeway, with or without TRD?
I think its probably hard to know which is worse since you would have to drive both trucks over the same road at the same speed. When I test drove both trucks the non TRD was definately smoother but I did not come across the "bouncy" part of the road to know if the TRD "handled" those better.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Let the MIL drive and you set in back and drink beer!! Maybe she can obey the speed limits or talk to your politicans and let them know yall want the same grade roads as your gun control laws!!

1 - 20 of 180 Posts