Toyota Tundra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a number of the threads concerning the Tundra's bounce and find for the most part that the posters divide into camps. Those who think their truck is different and doesn't have "the bounce", those who say it's a truck -- so what, those who experience it and blame Toyota for making a poor riding truck, and a few who are trying to tune their suspension to deal with it.

Question: how come no one is complaining that the stock Tundra suspension is not adequate to race on dirt roads in Baja? And how is this different?

Those who drive a lot on desert dirt roads or no roads adjust their suspension to the conditions of its intended use. I recently drove I-40 all the way across the country in a new stock Tundra. In NC and Tennessee the ride was smooth and the road was asphalt. East of Little Rock I couldn't drive in the right lane without blurred vision. Oklahoma City was just about as bad. So if I lived, say, in NC I would have no concern with the stock ride and would be happy that the springs support towing a big boat.

A truck cannot use stock, non-adjustable suspension that will give a smooth ride with 1500 lb load variations over different road and no-road conditions. We all really know this, but somehow those who have not experienced the freeway bounce, or have experienced it but are not forced to commute daily over it don't view it in the same way as offroad conditions. To me it is the same thing. It is just harder to visualize.

I think the compression bumps on the concrete freeway plates act somewhat like making a basketball bounce from a still position. Take a bball and put it on the floor and try to bring it up to a dribble by just bouncing it with your palm. You will notice that you can't do it unless you pat it with just the right combination of force, quick release on rebound and frequency. The trick is getting it to start bouncing. Once you get that it is easy to keep it bouncing and make it bounce bigger. I think that is similar to our freeway situation. Get the right speed, rhythm and amplitude and it bounces.

If the Baja 1000 was run on the 405, the 5 and the 91 I guarantee you that the racers would find a way to tune the suspension so the back wheels would not bounce. Some of us who like the Tundra but are forced by geography to drive on some crappy roads that are not all that enjoyable even in a BMW, would appreciate your understanding and even more, the help of those who know something about how suspension works. Thanks for listening.:blah:

PS. Tomorrow I am having a minipack and some Bilsteins installed.
That is step one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I completely understand after driving CA 118 east bound from Desoto to Balboa. I never thought much about the bounce until I encountered that. It's rough in any car but I could hardly see due to the vibrations. I'm so glad I don't have to drive that everyday.

As for the 5, 91 and 405, I try to avoid those if at all possible. I prefer to take the long way around (210 - 57) into and out of Orange county especially if I'm hauling a trailer.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
um. ok. well its nice of you to start a whole new thread on a topic thats been beat to death.

and it goes right back to what ive said all along, it is a truck. people generally test drive something before they drive...to see if its something they like the way it drives/rides. if not they dont buy it. if they do like it they buy it. and they shouldnt go onto forums and start countless threads saying "i dont like the way my truck rides".

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this?

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Why are you saying "Why is there a new thread on this?" over and over? Did the bed bounce do this to you?!?!?!?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this? Why is there a new thread on this?
theres a competition. its how many new threads on gas pedal recalls vs how many new threads on bed bounce.....

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'll tell you this, I've had my 98 Dakota since, well, 98, and have driven all over San Diego with and never really noticed that this stretch of road vs that stretch was bouncier. Not once. In the Tundra, in less than a month, I have found several stretches that are suddenly all bouncy. The Tundra isn't that much bigger than the Dak, a little longer (12-18 inches) and little wider (~6 inches). So I think it's definitely a harmonic issue. My Dak has a shell and carpet kit in it, so I'll be interested to see if a shell on the Tundra makes a difference. Most of the time it rides quite smooth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been able to reduce bounce by placing some weight in the bed near the tailgate, I used bags of crushed rock. Huge difference. Obviously the ride is optimized to carry a load. No mystery.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The horse is dead...lol.

Of course the Gen II Tundra rides rougher than the previous model. Its rated to pull nearly 11K lbs.

FWIW, mine rides fine when the boat is behind it or the enclosed trailer.... which is exactly what I bought it for... to take my toys to the boat ramp or a MX track... not to go get groceries with. I take our Solara when I go grocery shopping. :D

·
Registered
819 Posts
The OP is apparently new to the site I"m assuming and there are certainly a number of threads he could search on for more info on this topic. How do we know he didn't. I also realize a lot of you are sick of it but I"m just curious. Why do you have to post in the thread anyway? Obviously its about "BedBounce" with the words clearly in the title? Can you not HELP yourself you have to be A-Holes and post stupid S$#@ anyway? Talk about beat to death. I think the guy was just looking to connect with others and compare notes on what they've done to help minimize an issue he and others have with this truck not put up with a bunch of p#@sing and moaning about "Oh no, another bed bounce thread".

If you DON'T have anything constructive to offer then just skip the thread. JeeSUS is it that difficult? Who the F cares if someone new wants to resurface an old topic in a new thread? It's a Forum, it's gonna happen A LOT! Get over yourselves!.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not to be picky, but a post chastising people about posting in a thread and not contributing constructive information without contributing constructive information itself is a little on the hypocritical side, no?

I kid, I kid.:laughing3d:

·
Registered
151 Posts
This isn't a new bed bounce thread.

It's a thread about bed bounce threads.

Go back and read the Title of the thread and the OP.

And to those of you tired of new [Insert name here] threads. If you see a new thread with something like "Bed Bounce", "Recall", "Lift Kit", "Supercharger", "Gas Pedal" or whatever else you're sick of reading about in the title. DON'T OPEN IT!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Whats the best oil to use.... :deadhorse:

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Heres what I'D like to see....:closed:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Only way I can make my bed bounce is with the little woman! Heheheh

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've driven and towed all over the country with my Tundra in the year since I bought it. Yes, the bed bounces when unloaded. The smoothest it ever drove was with a 6000 pound towed load. A car on a U-haul 4-wheels up trailer. Smooth as silk the whole way. The worst it ever drove was with another 6000 pound load, another car, but this time on a 2 wheel dolly with the bed and towed car stuffed full of household goods. The 1500 pounds of unsprung weight of the 2 wheel dolly was just terrible. If you've got to commute with the Tundra, get a 300# Jimmy Bar, and install it at the rear of your bed. Problem solved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seems most of the responses to this thread prove my observation. For some reason it is permissible, even desirable, to discuss suspension mods intended to improve the ride on unpaved roads whereas a the topic of improving the ride on rough paved roads strikes negative emotions. Strangely enough, the same phenomenon occurs on the Goldwing riders forum on the same subject.

I understand that a Tundra's ride is good when hauling or towing heavy loads. Got that clear. But if I want to race in Baja I must mod the suspension. Why can't those who want to improve their truck's unloaded ride share info without having to read through dozens of posts that contribute nothing or attack the contributor.

I did a mod today. If anyone is interested PM me.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.