Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bored today, so I decided to take the plunge on a mod I had been putting off. I hated the chrome bumper on my Tundra, so I sanded the **** out of it with some 80 grain sandpaper, put a couple coats of self etching primer, sanded it some more, and slapped on 4 coats of Herculiner bedlining. What do ya think??

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
looks good now...let us know how it holds up....

·
Preferred Dealer
117 Posts
Looks a bit weird to me but i've always thought using those liner material on exterior panels was always a bit awkward.... if you like it than kudos! I definitely don't think it looks bad, just not my cup of tea, especially on a red Tundra.... my how I love red tundras!!!

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
If you took off the bug deflector and did the center plastic trim panel in the same finish, it would look B-A!!! :)

Now, I think there is a bit too much going on color and finish-wise (imagine it was worse with the chrome!)

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think it works with your setup. Got the rugged look. If you didn't have those wheels and step bars, then not so much. Nice work.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went out a little bit ago and painted the center piece with gloss black.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I was just gonna say you need to paint that grille emblem black but ya beat me to the punch. I think you should ditch the 5.7L badge now too. Get rid of everything chrome.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like it a lot- it really does look good with your truck setup. I'll bet it would look pretty good on mine too, and I have been thinking about doing it too.
But then I would be taking that fateful first step towards 'murder', and I might not be able to stop!
Z

·
Registered
500 Posts
Points sent for No Chrome. :D Looks Great and it should hold up fine. I did the same thing with 80 grit and self etching primer back in Nov. 08 and I still have yet to have a flake off. It's been scratched by some desert bushes and still no chrome peeping through.

Have any other pics of your truck in different angles showing more of the sliders?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Looks WAY better than the chrome.

I am a card carrying member of the Chrome-Haters club. I can't stand more than a stripe or accent of Chrome.

-Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts