Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading and a few members on here have said repeatedly that the stock rearend on a 1gen isnt all that strong. I'm currently running a 3/1 kit on 33's but should be going to a 5in lift on 35's within the next year. Now I'm not gonna be pulling anything heavy, maybe a jetski or small enclosed trailer every once and a while. I currently have a stock rearend with LSD and for the last 60 days or so there has been a grinding/rubbing vibration coming from the rear when I'm at a 50% or greater turn from a dead stop. This concerns me because my warranty just expired less than 10K ago. so i'm thinkingabout beefing up the rear end to make it stronger and at the same time, regear it for better fuel economy... is this possible?

What would you guru's suggest and if you also could please, throw out some manufacturers to contact?

Thanks
Beez

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I beg to differ. The rearend is plenty strong for what you described. Whether that be off roading or pulling a trailer. I'd suggest getting a different traction system. The noise you are hearing could be from bearings, ujoints, center support bearing or something else.

For better gas mileage, it's a give and take. The goal is to find that happy median. With 35" tires, you should be good with 4.88's. If you go lower (higher # numerically) the gas mileage would go down but, you gain more power. On the flip side if you go higher (lower #numerically), you gain the gas mileage but, lose the power.

For 33's 4.56 is ideal unless, you go with factory 4.30's (harder to find).

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
This is just a guess, since I don't have an LSD...but is it possible the clutch pack is getting worn, or simply that the fluid needs to be changed in the differential?

The people who are breaking their stock rear ends with 33" and 35" tires are being extremely abusive...if that's not you, don't sweat it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts