Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it. What do you know about them? Are there any companies that make a complete set? I am getting ready to start fabricating a set of my own. More later on this summer.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm guessing you mean for decreasing wind resistance. Funny how they put them on something like a Corolla, a vehicle that already gets 50 mpg and has a fairly smooth underbody. Yet a big ass truck with transfer cases, diffs and driveshafts hanging out everywhere gets nothing.
I dont know if there are any aftermarket ones but I would bet you could buy a sheet of really thin plastic and heat it with a heat gun to shape it how you want and attach it to the underside of your truck. I know the Corolla ones are pretty flimsy but they are only meant for wind resistance so I dont think you need something really beefy for this purpose.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I am going to fabricate them out of 14 gauge hot roll for the initial set. Nothing for rock sliding or anything like that. Just for aerodynamics. Will be a full set of armor from front to back. Need to consider air for the transmission, heat from the exhaust (may insulate it), and cooling for the rear differential. Thinking about getting a spare differential plug and drilling/tapping for a temperature probe so that I have some hard numbers to work with rather than guessing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ever consider other aero mods prior to this?

the whole idea is, we cant really realistically create a smooth truck body surface for the boundary layer to "stick" to, so they use air to help fill the areas... for instance the front of the truck can be blocked off with tape or something else to prevent the air from being "scooped" but the intake grille. just enough for cooling is all that is needed. stock air intake boxes are "cold air" already.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have looked at building one for the last couple of years. I wanted to go from the front cross member to the rear of the tranny. I also want to make something to seal some of the gaps. Just haven't gotten off of my ass and done it because I know it's a V-8 truck, realistically nothing I do will result in a dramatic jump in fuel economy.

·
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ever consider other aero mods prior to this?

the whole idea is, we cant really realistically create a smooth truck body surface for the boundary layer to "stick" to, so they use air to help fill the areas... for instance the front of the truck can be blocked off with tape or something else to prevent the air from being "scooped" but the intake grille. just enough for cooling is all that is needed. stock air intake boxes are "cold air" already.
Or maybe we could release the air jammed into the engine bay?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have thought of the OR Fab skid plate for aerodynamic improvement underneath the truck.

Air could be released from the engine bay with hood louvers installed. I have a set of Z34 louvers that may end up on my Tundra. Better cooling and increased airflow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts